Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 Jun - wear your uniform to work day

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Just a note that 26 Jun is the closest working day to the Armed Forces day. MOD has stipulated that all MOD military staff (both regular and reserve) in Main Building, Old War Office and St Georges court should wear uniform to work that day, unless they have a VERY good reason not to.

Looking forward to seeing plenty of RNR in rig on the day!

War Hero
Purple_twiglet said:
No news yet - will be promulgated in a few weeks time apparently. Rumour is 3's....

Two weeks away, so it's going to have to be next week to give the weekend travellers a chance :)

If threes, I may. Depends whether I'm in Whi or not.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
Purple_twiglet said:
Just a note that 26 Jun is the closest working day to the Armed Forces day. MOD has stipulated that all MOD military staff (both regular and reserve) in Main Building, Old War Office and St Georges court should wear uniform to work that day, unless they have a VERY good reason not to.

This is a wind up right?

scouse

War Hero
:oops: Maybe !!!because he had to wear No1s most of the time, in his Naval Carreer, like the rest of us :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
Purple_twiglet said:
Oh right - nowadays uniform isn't worn in London, although no one seems to know why this is the case.

We used to be able to travel to and from work in civvies, but as soon as we arrived we had to change into uniform straight away. How do you differentiate between civilian staff and serving personnel?

Rumrat

War Hero
(granny) said:
Purple_twiglet said:
Oh right - nowadays uniform isn't worn in London, although no one seems to know why this is the case.

We used to be able to travel to and from work in civvies, but as soon as we arrived we had to change into uniform straight away. How do you differentiate between civilian staff and serving personnel?

The civies are the one's who won't lend you a fiver or give you a fag. :D

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Sadly you cant! Interestingly though, most civvies prefer the forces to work in uniform, while the forces seem to be the ones who don't want to do so - no idea why!

Rumrat

War Hero
Purple_twiglet said:
Sadly you cant! Interestingly though, most civvies prefer the forces to work in uniform, while the forces seem to be the ones who don't want to do so - no idea why!

They could avoid you better if you was in rig, thus avoiding the embassesment of telling you to f*ck off when you steam in for the fiver and fag.
Simples :D

all_purple_now

Lantern Swinger
Purple_twiglet said:

Not all employers are particularly well-regarded towards the Reserves - I am sure this has been mooted before & was quietly shelved.

APN

Deckhead_Inspector

Lantern Swinger
If workers in MOD are reservists and they go to work in uniform for the day, a couple of questions arise.

Will they get two lots of pay on the day?
And slightly more important, might there be a problem regarding any difference between their civil service grade and their military rank or rate?

jrwlynch

Lantern Swinger
Deckhead_Inspector said:
If workers in MOD are reservists and they go to work in uniform for the day, a couple of questions arise.

Will they get two lots of pay on the day?

I should be so lucky.

Deckhead_Inspector said:
And slightly more important, might there be a problem regarding any difference between their civil service grade and their military rank or rate?

The official answer is that I'd be in rig as a PR gesture, and not getting paid for it, so my lowly RNR rank doesn't strictly apply. (Still have to salute most colleagues I run into outdoors, of course).

The unofficial answer is that I work with sensible grown-ups who will certainly take the mickey, but who don't tend to care overmuch about "civil service grade".

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
From my perspective, I know of several reservists whose military rank is lower than their civvy "rank" - myself included. I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference, and if anything will make relations easier in some cases, when people realise we speak the same language (so to speak).

I think the opportunities for piss taking and banter in both directions are high, which can only be a good thing!

Don't think anyone has thought about whether we qualify for a days pay - from a practical perspective, the question is - are we wearing our uniform through choice, or are we subject to the NDA and all that malarkey. If the former, then no I wouldnt expect to be paid.

trehorn

War Hero
The question is do you expect to be paid?

The thought never entered my mind and now you have mentioned it i can confirm that the thought of even esking the question to me would seem completely unacceptable.

As i see it you are being requested to wear it - Not ordered or expected to wear it.

If being paid for it actually makes a difference to whether you wear it or not then i must say i'm extremely disapointed! :?

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I'm going in Captain counterpain. That is a recognised rig isn't it?

Failing that, I find ovies and anti flash with kevlar helmet is both smart in appearance and comfortable for most situations at the office.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Naval_Gazer 11th MCM Sqn (Falklands 1982) Reunion in Hull 13-14 Jun 2015 Social & Reunions 0
B HMS Raleigh Jun 14 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Ageing_Gracefully More Free Kindle Books from Endeavour 27 Jun The Book Club 1
Ageing_Gracefully More new free titles from Endeavour Press 20 Jun 12 The Book Club 0
ForcesJobShop Training Opportunity: IOSH Managing Safely Course - 16 Jun 11 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
gremlin ARRSE Photo Competition Jun '10 - £250 prizes from Towergate Hobbies & The Great Indoors 13
Guns Tue 3 Jun Ch4 F-Word and RM Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 9
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw staff wear pride-themed masks to mark IDAHOBIT MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North-east rail revolution begins with Beeching reversal and fund for new trains across Tyne and Wear MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If you’re going out to scare, know what to wear MoD News 0
mayabear Formal Interview ; what to wear? (Female) Joining the Royal Navy 8
Sgt Jobsearch Plant Trainer - Tyne & Wear - £Competitive The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS 3 Week Multi Trade Skills – Tyne and Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Project Engineer - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch General Manager - Tyne & Wear - £55,000 - £65,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Author - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 starting salary The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Engineering Technician (North East) - Tyne & Wear - £24,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Electrical Instrumentation Technician - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
R Been told i can attest at Flying fox what to wear? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
Sgt Jobsearch Wireless Network Engineer - Tyne & Wear - £Negotiable + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Wireless Network Engineer - Tyne & Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
2_deck_dash Multiple adquals - how do you wear the badges? UPO 16
D Can you wear dolphins upon return to general service? Submariners 37
K Quick Question - What color trousers/shirts to wear at PRNC? Diamond Lil's 22
soleil Sky Tyne And Wear: "Royal Navy Streets Ahead In Heritage quest" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
DemobJob Pre Military Tutor - Tyne & Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Sky Tyne & Wear: "Public Invited Aboard Newcastle Affiliated Warship HMS Dauntless" The Fleet 5
soleil Herald: "MP Has No Right To Wear Marine Tie" The Corps 13
J What are you meant to wear for PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
D Why cant the RFA all wear the same uniform? RFA 9
T Victory! You will be able to wear your PJM Current Affairs 25
I Can I wear my Dolphins? Submariners 13
N can you wear knee supports whilst doing basic training ? Sports and Adventure Training 3
R What did you wear to your Recruitment tests? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
T What medals does HM The Queen wear The Quarterdeck 24
B Wear a suit to the RT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R What to wear! The Corps 31
R Bobbies Ordered Not to Wear Union Flag Badges Current Affairs 19
M What to wear interview and pre joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
F What to wear to Acquaint course? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
RoboScorpion Question: What did WWII Royal Navy engine room crew wear? History 10
Good_CO Wear Your Virtual Poppy Site Issues 6
N POLL Should the RN Wear CS95's (where and when) Diamond Lil's 53
E what to wear for interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
brazenhussy What do you wear in bed??!! Diamond Lil's 41
R Should servicewomen wear all medals with bows? The Gash Barge 1
S To all those hoping to wear the Green Beret!!!! The Corps 32
S If you are hoping to wear the Green Beret Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Those wanting to wear the Green Beret The Corps 9