26 Jun - wear your uniform to work day

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Purple_twiglet, Jun 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Just a note that 26 Jun is the closest working day to the Armed Forces day. MOD has stipulated that all MOD military staff (both regular and reserve) in Main Building, Old War Office and St Georges court should wear uniform to work that day, unless they have a VERY good reason not to.

Looking forward to seeing plenty of RNR in rig on the day!

2. Have they said what rig?

DWR presumably, !s probably isn't all that practical.

3. Purple_twiglet

No news yet - will be promulgated in a few weeks time apparently. Rumour is 3's....

4. Two weeks away, so it's going to have to be next week to give the weekend travellers a chance :)

If threes, I may. Depends whether I'm in Whi or not.

5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

This is a wind up right?

6. Purple_twiglet

No? Why do you think that it would be?

7. :oops: Maybe !!!because he had to wear No1s most of the time, in his Naval Carreer, like the rest of us :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

8. Purple_twiglet

Oh right - nowadays uniform isn't worn in London, although no one seems to know why this is the case.

9. :roll: :roll: Maybe some shiney arse in charge is a H/S freak hiding behind PERSEC???

10. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

We used to be able to travel to and from work in civvies, but as soon as we arrived we had to change into uniform straight away. How do you differentiate between civilian staff and serving personnel?

11. The civies are the one's who won't lend you a fiver or give you a fag. :D

12. Purple_twiglet

Sadly you cant! Interestingly though, most civvies prefer the forces to work in uniform, while the forces seem to be the ones who don't want to do so - no idea why!

13. They could avoid you better if you was in rig, thus avoiding the embassesment of telling you to f*ck off when you steam in for the fiver and fag.
    Simples :D

14. Not all employers are particularly well-regarded towards the Reserves - I am sure this has been mooted before & was quietly shelved.

APN

15. If workers in MOD are reservists and they go to work in uniform for the day, a couple of questions arise.

Will they get two lots of pay on the day?
    And slightly more important, might there be a problem regarding any difference between their civil service grade and their military rank or rate?

16. How about those from Northern Ireland?

17. I should be so lucky.

The official answer is that I'd be in rig as a PR gesture, and not getting paid for it, so my lowly RNR rank doesn't strictly apply. (Still have to salute most colleagues I run into outdoors, of course).

The unofficial answer is that I work with sensible grown-ups who will certainly take the mickey, but who don't tend to care overmuch about "civil service grade".

18. Purple_twiglet

From my perspective, I know of several reservists whose military rank is lower than their civvy "rank" - myself included. I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference, and if anything will make relations easier in some cases, when people realise we speak the same language (so to speak).

I think the opportunities for piss taking and banter in both directions are high, which can only be a good thing!

Don't think anyone has thought about whether we qualify for a days pay - from a practical perspective, the question is - are we wearing our uniform through choice, or are we subject to the NDA and all that malarkey. If the former, then no I wouldnt expect to be paid.

19. The question is do you expect to be paid?

The thought never entered my mind and now you have mentioned it i can confirm that the thought of even esking the question to me would seem completely unacceptable.

As i see it you are being requested to wear it - Not ordered or expected to wear it.

If being paid for it actually makes a difference to whether you wear it or not then i must say i'm extremely disapointed! :?

20. I'm going in Captain counterpain. That is a recognised rig isn't it?

Failing that, I find ovies and anti flash with kevlar helmet is both smart in appearance and comfortable for most situations at the office.