250KM ARCTIC RACE FOR LIMBLESS EX-SERVICEMEN'S CHARITY

Discussion in 'Charity' started by Feelgood, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All,

I am currently trying to get sponsorship in aid of BLESMA (British Limbless Ex-Servicemen’s Association).

Next month, our team of 4 will be taking part in the Arctic Team Challenge www.atc.gl/ ; a 250Km race over 5 days in Greenland, consisting of Mountain trekking, Mountain biking, Kayaking and Glacier trekking. The course includes over 10,000 metres of vertical ascent.

The Charity we have chosen to support for this event is BLESMA.

Whilst working as a Medical Officer at Headley Court, the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre, it was moving to see the number of young servicemen coming back missing limbs as a result of their service overseas. For these people, the transition from being extremely fit and active to living with a disability is a hard contrast to get used to both mentally and physically. BLESMA is a charity that helps to ensure that they get the best possible support in their lives:

“Over two thousand surviving Ex-Service men and women have lost one or more limbs as a result of World War II, Korea, Suez, Aden, The Falklands, The Gulf, Northern Ireland and in support of the United Nations. For them the fight still goes on; to hold their own in the battle of life with a handicap which must always be theirs. Additionally BLESMA continues to care for some 2000 Widows.

BLESMA's Welfare Service is assisted by 36 Branches throughout the United Kingdom, manned by individuals all of whom give their services voluntarily, and work to ensure that no service limbless or immediate dependants shall needlessly suffer additional anxiety or hardship. The State machinery can handle this problem only in general terms. BLESMA concerns itself with INDIVIDUAL cases.â€
    http://www.blesma.org/

I have set up a page at http://www.justgiving.com/ashokrao - this is a quick and easy way to sponsor me online.

This worthy cause needs to raise over £1m each year to keep up the excellent work they do in supporting our injured servicemen so please be as generous as you can.

Many thanks,

Ash

2. Hi Ash,
    Serving Green lid POMA.
    Fully supported mate and will sponsor you and your team.
    Try going to www.maximuscle .com They have helped me out in the past with corporate sponsorship to the tune of £700 worth of clothing and rehydration powder (Viper it's called) Donna at fasttalk promotions and Jeanette at Maximuscle will be who your after.
    Best of luck mate and thank you

3. Hi mate,

Ex-RMO of one of the PARA Batallions.

Thanks for the advice - have been on to Maximuscle today and left a message for them to get back to me. Would be grateful if any others have got any advice like this. First time I have tried to raise money for a charity so bit inexperienced on the fundraising/sponsorship.

Surprising the number of guys who are reported as "also injured" in the press and turn out to have lost arms and legs. Quite keen to do as much for this charity as I can.

4. I shall be delighted to sponsor you, however when i did the paltry 5k race for life recently, I obtained sponsorship by promising phots of myself in lycra. I feel that you should now promise something similar, I do know that you cannot get too naked for fear of something getting frostbite, but it would make it worthwhile for us ladies!

5. Hi Ash

Will be very pleased to sponsor you mate. Checked out the site ref this challenge and its something after my own heart. I plan to do a few races in aid of combat stress when i get over my own injury that is VERY insignificant in relation to some of the returning troops.

Regards and good luck

6. Good Luck
    A very worthwhile cause.

7. Think this deserves to be bumped.

8. Thanks for all your support and sponsorship - really appreciated.

Have been on to BLESMA today. There are 42 soldiers who have lost limbs in the last 3 years (Iraq + Afghanistan).

They have got 1700 members who have lost limbs through conflict and 4700 members in total including widows, non-conflict injuries etc.

These are just the figures from BLESMA - there are still ex-forces amputees who don't know about BLESMA and aren't registered with them.

Nutty_bag, I wish you a speedy recovery with your injury. Rosinacarley, I'm more of a short shorts man than lycra...will that do??

Ash

9. Thanks ash, its well on its way to a speedy recovery. sacral illiac joint sustained whilst operating in the medical profession like yourself.

Dont encourage Rosie Ash, she's a bit of a maneater when it comes to seeing men in shorts. Beware of stalkers, lock your doors at night.

NB

10. Great cause and one that we're proud to support.

11. Dear All,

40% of the way - have got £1240 raised for BLESMA so far. The charity manager at BLESMA was chuffed when I told him how much had been raised to date.

A massive chunk of this has been from ARRSErs and rumration.

Each donation helps no matter how small it is and helps keep the ball rolling.

Many thanks to all of you who have donated so far.

For those of you who are undecided as to whether this is a charity you would support, please go to www.blesma.org/ and take a look at the great work they do in helping our injured guys 'get back to normal'.

The site keeps it purposefully happy and doesn't really go into the individual hardships that people have gone through.

Frank Garside at BLESMA will happily send out more info if you need it to help make your mind up - 020 8590 1124.

Many thanks

Ash

12. Ash

Am still waiting for the phots! Perhaps some of you all training? And then perhaps some of you all in the cold!!

Rosie

13. Your beginning to sound desperate now Rosie, get a grip. LOL.

Seriously though Ash, had a butchers at the race format and impressed that they only allow 15 teams to take part due to environmental reasons.

Best of luck