2021 Strategic Defence and Security Review

bobbybrown

Lantern Swinger
Just some food for thought but does anyone have any idea what the 2021 Strategic Defence and Security Review would mean for the RFA?

I'm completely in the dark about this myself and would like some better idea of the future of the RFA.

Source:

Just now RFA had 13 ships Fort Rosalie and Fort Austin are in extended readiness and wave ruler is laid up. That’s all the interview or info you’ll need to know. Bay boats tide boats fort boats wave boats

LandScrubber

Midshipman
"The Integrated Review will be published on 16 of March and the Defence Command Paper will be published on 22 of March"- From Navy Lookout.

Scrap the 3 Bay class... Replace them with 2 new vessels

They need at least 2 solid support ships so that one will be definite - Scrap Victoria

There. speculation

Skylarker

Lantern Swinger
I doubt the 3 Bays will be scrapped, Lyme Bay for a long time was being used as the MCM mothership which appeared to work well they are also perfect for the marines deploying about the world and crisis support in places like the Caribbean where Mounts bay was deployed for a long time.

Im sure I had read somewhere that the MoD/RN been given the green light to purchase 2 commercial vessels to transform into multiroll support?

bobbybrown

Lantern Swinger
Scrap the 3 Bay class... Replace them with 2 new vessels

They need at least 2 solid support ships so that one will be definite - Scrap Victoria

There. speculation
Okay firstly, they won’t scrap the bay boats as they are amphibious and are needed. Victoria has just had a major refit for the carriers so won’t be going anywhere. If any ships in the RFA are to be scrapped it would be Rosalie and Austin. The RFA know what they are doing, they have an order open for vending for FSS (Fleet Solid Support ships just waiting for a bid to win) what they really need is a replacement for RFA Argus or extend her life as she is due to be decommissioned 2023/2024.

This is just speculation and my thoughts.

bobbybrown

Lantern Swinger
Yeah, short story for people. HMS Montrose and HMS Monmouth will be retired early. 13 MCMV (mine counter measure vessels) will also be retired, autonomous vehicles to replace them.