Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 World Cup Bid

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'am a bit disappointed. I've missed a few WC finals doing that sundodging thingy. I was looking forward to foreign totty visiting me instead of the other way around, and also getting to some matches.

NotmeChief

Banned
finknottle said:
I have just read a scurrilous comment on a social networking site, it was ‘don’t the English realise that nobody likes them’.

That cannot be the reason, can it?

Oh yes it can. Long past is the time when abroad you would declare 'I'm English', now you keep it a secret fearing for your life.

finknottle

Banned
NotmeChief said:
finknottle said:
I have just read a scurrilous comment on a social networking site, it was ‘don’t the English realise that nobody likes them’.

Oh yes it can. Long past is the time when abroad you would declare 'I'm English', now you keep it a secret fearing for your life.

I remember some time ago when Mrs F and I were transiting through Kuala Lumpur airport on our way to Borneo, it was a swift process as the connecting aircraft was being held back for the Heathrow flight to arrive. Anyway some English chap in front of us remarked; 'You get special treatment if you have an English passport ' a swift dig in the ribs from her who must be obeyed told me to keep my grid shut, what I assume was the subliminal arrogance of the tube still amuses me to this day.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Just like the Eurovision Song Contest - no matter how good the tune UK plc submits, it's generally nil poit.

So, FIFA not corrupt then? Or just over-hype by the bid team again?

Flagdeck

War Hero
Dipping out is bad enough..... but to the Russians !........
an old cold war warrior is pi$$ed offski ! angry9:

Guzzler

War Hero
Flagdeck said:
Dipping out is bad enough..... but to the Russians !........
an old cold war warrior is pi$$ed offski ! angry9:

*severe pedant mode on*

That was the Soviet Union

*severe pedant mode off*

PS - I enjoyed that 'war' as well :wink:

diesel

Lantern Swinger
The events in Birmingham the other night didn't help I should think, it was even on the mainland China news channels.

They were even firing flares at each other. If you can get those in you can get a bomb in 8O

Waspie said:
Am I the only one who is actually chuffed we didn't get the world cup!!!!!!

Too bloody soon after the olyimpics!!!!! :evil:

Nope! you're not alone.

After the dodgy vote of the Olympic 'win', and the subsequent tax by RedKen of London Taxpayers monies to fund it, the last thing I wanted to see was more money being taken in 'precept' by the current administration.

We have been told by Transport for London that we should not use the Underground to travel top work during the weeks of the Games ...... 8O
How the [email protected]@@@ing hell do we get to work ?
They are closing off the roads for competitors, MPs, celebs etc etc etc (probably refugees and asylum seekers too at public expense !! :evil: ) and now they don't want us to use the only mode of transport that most of us need !! :scratch:

I hope we don't get it ever again ! I'd say give it to Scotland, but then English taxpayers would probably be paying for it anyway - unless they become a French Protectorate !! Zut Alors !!! ;)

ps isn't Montreal supposed to be still paying the bill for theirs ?

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
NotmeChief said:
finknottle said:

I wonder why England is not liked, could it be because they are so selfish. Even Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belguim applied to represent both their countries together. Why did an application not go from the United Kingdom instead of just England. A UK proposal could have included host cities from England Scotland, Wales & N Ireland. Instead only english cities were chosen to host the world cup matches, as if football was never played in other parts of the UK. Maybe in 20 years time England will have humbled itself to think twice before it makes another application to host the world cup.

Drakey

War Hero
tomm90 said:
I wonder why England is not liked, could it be because they are so selfish. Even Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belguim applied to represent both their countries together. Why did an application not go from the United Kingdom instead of just England. A UK proposal could have included host cities from England Scotland, Wales & N Ireland. Instead only english cities were chosen to host the world cup matches, as if football was never played in other parts of the UK. Maybe in 20 years time England will have humbled itself to think twice before it makes another application to host the world cup.

It may be the fact the the UK is not recognised by FIFA. Hence, you never see the UK represented as a football team at the world cup. Just a thought.

tomm90 said:
Maybe in 20 years time England will have humbled itself to think twice before it makes another application to host the world cup.

The day we change our national spirit and sense of identity to accommodate the needs of some bloody game we truly will be humbled.

I thought Belgium was the Netherlands (note not Holland); apart from that bit that thinks it's a suburb of Paris.

NotmeChief said:

Not necessarily so. A few weeks back in Morocco, I felt no restriction on identifying myself as English. No adverse response at all. I must admit, though, that if I knew I was going to have to be "rude" to someone (like wiley gentlemem who won't take a repeated "La shukran" as an answer), I do tell them that I am German.

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
Drakey said:
tomm90 said:

It may be the fact the the UK is not recognised by FIFA. Hence, you never see the UK represented as a football team at the world cup. Just a thought.

If that is so and two countries Portual & Spain can apply then four countries England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland could make an application to host the world cup.

Drakey

War Hero
tomm90 said:
Drakey said:
tomm90 said:

If that is so and two countries Portual & Spain can apply then four countries England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland could make an application to host the world cup.

Perhaps!!

broadside

War Hero
tomm90 said:

FFS Tommo, one of the main problems that was more than hinted at over the NL/Belgium bid and the Spain/Portugal bid was the concern over language differences and cross border cooperation - The England bid was going to be a tough enough hill to climb trying to integrate Geordies and Scouses into the picture let alone what would have happened if you tried to bring in some of the lesser ethnics! :wink:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
tomm90 said:
Drakey said:
tomm90 said:

Because that would require all of the Home Nations to cooperate - the anti-England-FA sentiment is possibly stronger within the UK than within FIFA. Wasn't there some discussion in the last year or so about a UK soccer team for the Olympics that was vetoed by the SFA (I think) on the grounds that participation may lead to the de-recognition of the national side? Basically, it boils down to politics, both within FIFA and within the UK.

Chaz

MIA
I feel rather sorry for Scotland in all this, it would have been the closest they got to a world cup finals since 1998 had England won the bid!

broadside

War Hero
On a more serious note regarding shared bidding, if Spain & Portugal had won, for example, would both teams have been given an automatic qualifier place?

Chaz

MIA
broadside said:
On a more serious note regarding shared bidding, if Spain & Portugal had won, for example, would both teams have been given an automatic qualifier place?
Yes, both Japan and South Korea automatically qualified for the finals when they co-hosted in 2002.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S World Cup 2018 Sports and Adventure Training 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Out of this world innovations forge ahead in 2018 thanks to Local Growth Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM speech at reception for Women MPs of the World conference: 7 November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM calls with world leaders: 14 April 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation on draft insurance and liabilities requirements to implement the Space Industry Act 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland March 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland May 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland July 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Labour market statistics for Scotland April 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 008/2018: Criminal Finances Act: extending the moratorium period for suspicious activity reports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commission of Work 2018/19: minister's reply to the ASC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Work carried out by the Animals in Science Committee on 2018/19 Commission of Work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Director’s statement on the publication of the Labour Market Enforcement Annual Report 2018/19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Geography in Government Awards 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection report published: Annual inspection of ‘Adults at Risk in Immigration Detention’ (2018–19) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterinary pharmacovigilance in the UK annual review 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 017/2018: Updated Home Office guidance on police misconduct MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Outbreaks of Koi herpesvirus (KHV) disease in 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Youth Justice Statistics for 2018/19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy hosts 2018-2019 class of Chevening scholars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the remit and recommendations for the Financial Policy Committee: Budget 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Amanda Spielman launches Ofsted's Annual Report 2018/19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: HPCDS opportunity for 2018 standard contract holders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building (Amendment) Regulations 2018: circular 03/2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Insolvency (Scotland) rules 2018: summary of queries. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain publish 2018-19 annual report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Hydrographic Office 2018-2019 Annual Report released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England statement following publication of DfT’s Reported road casualties in Great Britain: 2018 report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishing industry in 2018 statistics published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If your charity last did an annual return before 12 November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Annual IP crime and enforcement report: 2018 to 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Certification Annual Report 2018-2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Outcomes Delivery Plan 2018-19 End-Year Report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alister Jack comments on GERS 2018-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our tech sector has already attracted more foreign investment this year than it did for the whole of 2018: article by Nicky Morgan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Substantial director bans in 2018/19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 6 things to know about our performance in 2018-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency publishes Annual Report 2018-2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA publishes Annual Report 2018 to 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IPO annual report 2018 to 2019 reveals a record-breaking year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MAIB Annual Report 2018 published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK company statistics: 2018 to 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Planning Inspectorate publishes its 2018/19 Annual Report and Accounts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS School inspection update: academic year 2018 to 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity Commission publishes its 2018 to 2019 annual report and accounts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Office launches 2018 Human Rights and Democracy Report MoD News 0
J My Joining Process 2018 - 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS News story: VMD Survey of Controlled Drugs Disposal 2018 – Summary of responses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 2018 to 2019 adult education budget and 19-24 traineeships funding over delivery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More than 1000 new magistrates recruited in 2018 MoD News 0