WreckerL

War Hero
Intakes at Raleigh are nearly every week except the week before leave periods and leave periods themselves. Recruits join on a Sunday.

There are normally about 8 or 9 courses running, all at various stages from week 1 to week 10.

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
Apply for an extension... Like now.

What stage are you at?

Sent using Tapatalk
Never done this reply thing so I am hoping it works :)

So I'm South African on a visit visa for the UK. I am here now currently going through the RN process but my time on my UK visit visa expires in April. So I'm just trying to work it all out that's all!
I don't know if I am able to apply for an extension as the RN doesn't help in that department apparently, and besides my application and family here I don't have any other reason to extend.

Ideas/tips/advice are welcome! Otherwise I'm just doing this application process as quick as possible - I've sent med form and eye test report back. They've received and I'm now waiting to hear from the nurse.

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
Intakes at Raleigh are nearly every week except the week before leave periods and leave periods themselves. Recruits join on a Sunday.

There are normally about 8 or 9 courses running, all at various stages from week 1 to week 10.
That's good to hear that the intakes are that often. I was worried that there may only be like 4 intake sets a year. So as soon as I have passed the final interview and 4 day test than the intake shouldn't be too far away right?

Asasioun

Badgeman
So I'm South African on a visit visa
I guessed from the name, I'm from CT, myself, but have dual citizenship.

As I said, get an extension if you can. April almost definitely won't be enough time, and I'm not totally aware of how it would work, but even if you got dates to go to Raleigh, I'd assume that you'd still either need to extend your visa, or put in an application for either indefinite remain or citizenship.

I've passed my medical and PJFT before Christmas, and my start day is the end of May, to give you an idea of wait time, and I believe my role has a relatively short wait time

Sent using Tapatalk

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's good to hear that the intakes are that often. I was worried that there may only be like 4 intake sets a year. So as soon as I have passed the final interview and 4 day test than the intake shouldn't be too far away right?
Depending on the Branch you have applied for your wait to actually start could be anything up to a year. Bear in mind that there are others in the queue ahead of you all wanting to get in as soon as possible.

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
Depending on the Branch you have applied for your wait to actually start could be anything up to a year. Bear in mind that there are others in the queue ahead of you all wanting to get in as soon as possible.
Thanks Janner, appreciate it. I completely understand that I am definitely not the first to apply. I'll wait for as long as I need to in order to get in. Can only hope its soon, but as long I get to Raleigh I'm happy.
My branch will change this week. I'm changing paths, so that may change things too :)

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
I guessed from the name, I'm from CT, myself, but have dual citizenship.

As I said, get an extension if you can. April almost definitely won't be enough time, and I'm not totally aware of how it would work, but even if you got dates to go to Raleigh, I'd assume that you'd still either need to extend your visa, or put in an application for either indefinite remain or citizenship.

I've passed my medical and PJFT before Christmas, and my start day is the end of May, to give you an idea of wait time, and I believe my role has a relatively short wait time

Sent using Tapatalk
Ash a fellow saffer!! Glad to know there's more out there :)
You're so lucky to have dual. What I would do to have that. One day!

I am researching about an extension but I am not sure it's possible being over 18 and with no real reason to stay according to them. But I will try my hardest!! Either way - I'm getting into the navy :D

What role are you going for if you don't mind me asking? Not sure if we can share that kind of info.

KeepGoing

Midshipman
@SafferBlondie Fellow Saffa here too, also from CT, I am busy with the medical process too, fortunately I already live and work in the UK so that has not been an issue for me.

I was told I would start at Raleigh in April at the very earliest if everything went smoothly, but more likely in Summer (ET(ME) by the way) so around May/June I would guess.

Good luck with the medical, be aware that any issues that they raise you would need to contact your GP in SA, I had to do that, fortunately my GP was really quick, but it is a hassle.

P.S. if you have to send any medical stuff to them, make sure that you have their latest address, I sent mine off when they moved which delayed it by about 2 weeks. If they give a Coventry address then that is the old office, try get the new one

Asasioun

Badgeman
All these Saffers... Bloody foreigners....

ETME(SM) myself.

How long have your family been here? Just 1 generation or more? And is it direct family? You might be able to apply for an ancestry visa.

I'd get in touch with the embassy, in London, or citizens advice, who might be able to point you in the direction of someone/something that deals with the visa process.

Sent using Tapatalk

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
@SafferBlondie Fellow Saffa here too, also from CT, I am busy with the medical process too, fortunately I already live and work in the UK so that has not been an issue for me.

I was told I would start at Raleigh in April at the very earliest if everything went smoothly, but more likely in Summer (ET(ME) by the way) so around May/June I would guess.

Good luck with the medical, be aware that any issues that they raise you would need to contact your GP in SA, I had to do that, fortunately my GP was really quick, but it is a hassle.

P.S. if you have to send any medical stuff to them, make sure that you have their latest address, I sent mine off when they moved which delayed it by about 2 weeks. If they give a Coventry address then that is the old office, try get the new one
Awesome another saffer!!
Thanks so much. I am really hoping I will have a similar plan on times. I have just secured a meeting tomorrow at the AFCO to talk about new career options etc so I will try get some insight.

When did you send through your medical and eye test form? How long did it take for you to get your doc visit? I luckily have no problems on my medical, so technically it should just sail through.
I don't have a GP - I left SA about 6 years ago and have been living abroad ever since (all over Middle East and then Ireland and now UK) so it would be difficult. I haven't been sick, except the odd little case of a cold, but nothing serious. Hopefully the helps in my favour :)

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
A
All these Saffers... Bloody foreigners....

ETME(SM) myself.

How long have your family been here? Just 1 generation or more? And is it direct family? You might be able to apply for an ancestry visa.

I'd get in touch with the embassy, in London, or citizens advice, who might be able to point you in the direction of someone/something that deals with the visa process.

Sent using Tapatalk
Ah we aren't so bad ;) promise we are the good ones!
My direct family is here. Sister is studying in Glasgow and my parents live in England. Mom got an ancestry visa through her grandparents so my dad followed as a spouse. Unfortunately my sister and I are one generation too far to benefit. They changed the law before we even considered this new life.
Yes thank you. Not easy to get a actual person to talk too, but I am working on it.

KeepGoing

Midshipman
Awesome another saffer!!
Thanks so much. I am really hoping I will have a similar plan on times. I have just secured a meeting tomorrow at the AFCO to talk about new career options etc so I will try get some insight.

When did you send through your medical and eye test form? How long did it take for you to get your doc visit? I luckily have no problems on my medical, so technically it should just sail through.
I don't have a GP - I left SA about 6 years ago and have been living abroad ever since (all over Middle East and then Ireland and now UK) so it would be difficult. I haven't been sick, except the odd little case of a cold, but nothing serious. Hopefully the helps in my favour :)
Sent my forms through early December, had the nurse call around a week or two later (if you haven't had the nurse call yet, that is the part which they might pick up on some issue that they need info on, which is what happened to me, and they do it for literally every thing that could be a problem), the documents I sent in are being reviewed now I believe, as for the main face to face doctor visit, I haven't had that yet, but it should hopefully be in the next week or two. So it has been about a month and a half since starting the medical process. As for the GP, my issue was from 8+ years ago, had to pull my GP out of retirement to get the documents

Feel free to send me a PM if you want

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
Sent my forms through early December, had the nurse call around a week or two later (if you haven't had the nurse call yet, that is the part which they might pick up on some issue that they need info on, which is what happened to me, and they do it for literally every thing that could be a problem), the documents I sent in are being reviewed now I believe, as for the main face to face doctor visit, I haven't had that yet, but it should hopefully be in the next week or two. So it has been about a month and a half since starting the medical process. As for the GP, my issue was from 8+ years ago, had to pull my GP out of retirement to get the documents
Oh wow OK, that's crazy - 8+ years. Well the only thing I have is 3 dental implants when I had braces so I put that under the metal fixtures. However they were put in over 10 years ago so I am hoping that's not an issue. ?
I sent my medical forms in on the 11th so I do know that I have time to wait. Just good to hear others experiences. What made you choose ME? PM sent

Asasioun

Badgeman
A

Ah we aren't so bad ;) promise we are the good ones!
My direct family is here. Sister is studying in Glasgow and my parents live in England. Mom got an ancestry visa through her grandparents so my dad followed as a spouse. Unfortunately my sister and I are one generation too far to benefit. They changed the law before we even considered this new life.
Yes thank you. Not easy to get a actual person to talk too, but I am working on it.
If your mum got an ancestry visa, I'm not aware of a reason why you couldn't get one, unless she's your stepmother?

If you want a timeline for the application process, I've kind of documented mine on me profile, feel free to look.

Sent using Tapatalk

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
If your mum got an ancestry visa, I'm not aware of a reason why you couldn't get one, unless she's your stepmother?

If you want a timeline for the application process, I've kind of documented mine on me profile, feel free to look.

Sent using Tapatalk
No she is my biological mother. It boggles my mind as well as to why we can't come under her ancestry. It makes it so hard to just live. Anyway, I will make it all work :) Determination is key!!
It also doesn't help that I am 28. If I was under 18 then I wouldn't have a problem.

That's brilliant. Thanks so much! I have a basic idea of what the process is like but it helps reading it from others too. Will check it out!

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
To those applying from overseas bear in mind that things like security clearances can take longer to complete.
Thanks Janner. After my RT test, I was given a list of documents that I need to start collecting and on it is a security clearance from all places I have lived. I need to get about 4 which is going to be a challenge but not impossible.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
It was just a pointer, from previous posts I've seen on here it has slowed some down considerably especially the Police checks.

ws1602

Badgeman
In terms of entry date / intakes.

I'm applying for Communications Technician the entry dates for this year are January, April & September. I passed my PJFT in December and was told they are looking at entry date in September.