ws1602

Lantern Swinger
UPDATE #7:

Triage Call with Nurse

I received an email and text a message to say that I would be having a telephone call with a triage nurse on Tuesday 30th January 2018.

From what the AFCO told me, this is to cover the Medical Questionnaire that you fill in and send along with your eye test. They run through the questionnaire to make sure everything is okay. I have a feeling that they'll question about my previous medicals which caused me to be a bar to entry due to a skin irritation.

If i pass the call I will receive a proper medical with a AFCO Doctor.

ws1602

Lantern Swinger
UPDATE #8

Capita Recruitment Medicals.........bloody useless

So changed my lunch to work around the call. Sat in a room from 12:15 waiting for the nurse at 12:20.

Gets 12:45 still no call, look on Google.... no contact numbers only an email. Called the AFCO provided me with a number to call. Call Capita and explain how pissed off I am because I had wasted my entire lunch break waiting for a call. Their answers was they've had system problems and the Nurses are massively behind schedule.

Cut a story short re-booked in for tomorrow at 14:40.

WannabePilot18

Midshipman
i was given my medical questionnaire and eye test to do before i had the interview to bring along with me, luckly passed the interview and just got to do the security vetting now

Shipspotter

Badgeman
UPDATE #8

Capita Recruitment Medicals.........bloody useless

So changed my lunch to work around the call. Sat in a room from 12:15 waiting for the nurse at 12:20.

Gets 12:45 still no call, look on Google.... no contact numbers only an email. Called the AFCO provided me with a number to call. Call Capita and explain how pissed off I am because I had wasted my entire lunch break waiting for a call. Their answers was they've had system problems and the Nurses are massively behind schedule.

Cut a story short re-booked in for tomorrow at 14:40.
My call was 40 mins early!! Luckily I was off work so it wasn’t a problem

@ws1602 I'm currently in full time employment with a view to join the Navy this year after I have sold my house etc. When would you from the updated steps, advise to hand in my resignation at work? Does the selection process of what you've been doing, does the RN factor in you may have to leave a job? Reply would be appreciated massively

ws1602

Lantern Swinger
@ws1602 I'm currently in full time employment with a view to join the Navy this year after I have sold my house etc. When would you from the updated steps, advise to hand in my resignation at work? Does the selection process of what you've been doing, does the RN factor in you may have to leave a job? Reply would be appreciated massively
Going from previous threads and Royal Navy advice, they advise not to hand any notice of resignation until you receive a formal offer within phase 1 training. Hope that makes sense?

Good luck with your application.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Fully concur, do not hand in your notice until you have a written job offer. I'd be inclined to work up to the Friday before the Sunday you commence initial training.

One tip is to keep your application shrouded in secrecy initially because if it doesn't come to fruition for whatever reason, it saves face.

A lot of people think joining the Navy just involves filling a form in, I did myself. I then found myself unemployed for a year after being knocked back at medical.

Good luck.

ws1602

Lantern Swinger
UPDATE #9

Medical Call with Capita

So this time they called 30 minutes earlier than stated. Essentially they go through the questionnaire you fill in and just double check that what you have put on the questionnaire matches with what is true.

Any conditions that arise during the call will make them speak to your Doctor. They send them a letter and then you have to chase it (they request it to speed the process up). I will be calling my doctor's Wednesday to check they have received the letter and released all relevant information to the Navy.

Shipspotter

Badgeman
UPDATE #9

Medical Call with Capita

So this time they called 30 minutes earlier than stated. Essentially they go through the questionnaire you fill in and just double check that what you have put on the questionnaire matches with what is true.

Any conditions that arise during the call will make them speak to your Doctor. They send them a letter and then you have to chase it (they request it to speed the process up). I will be calling my doctor's Wednesday to check they have received the letter and released all relevant information to the Navy.
I’m currently awaiting for the Chief Medical Officers decision on whether I can join, nervous is an understatement!!

ws1602

Lantern Swinger
I’m currently awaiting for the Chief Medical Officers decision on whether I can join, nervous is an understatement!!
I know how you feel. Back in 2016 I went through all of this and I got through to medical the Doctor first said I want you to go to your own doctor every month for 6 months to make sure you maintain the weight, but she had put me down as temporally medically unfit so had to do another they then found a skin problem which they had to speak to my doctor about. My doctors had put down as dermatitis on my medical record so the navy said thanks but no thanks to joining. So appealed and tried to fight the cause but lost and they still said no.

Here I am 2 years later fighting again.

Texast

Midshipman
Good read! I am still trying to get past the first hurdle of submitting my application online...the new Recruiting system doesn't seem to like me very much. Ill keep an eye on your updates and hopefully ill be in the navy in 2018:)
How long did it take from submitting your application to hear back? I’ve been waiting just over two weeks

Texast

Midshipman
When I did it I heard within 6 days - I would call them if I was you.
How recently was that? I called them Friday and they said because of the new IT system there’s a backlog of applications at the moment just stay patient

Good God. Are you updating this as it happens? 'Cause if so, you are flying through the application!

I applied back in August 2016, sat my RT about 3-4 weeks after, filled in the Medical Questionnaire and handed it in within a week. Didn't hear anything relating until December where I got a surprise phone call from Capita.
Had my Med. Exam at the end of January and then my Interview a week later. Did the security vet about a day later. Never had anyone come round and interview me about it. Didn't have my PJFT until mid-March due to injury and failed due to lingering issues from said injury. Passed well in May and didn't have my PRNC until December.

It's been a long initial journey but the end of the beginning is in sight!
Best of Luck to you!