janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not to pore cold water over things chaps, but don't forget you can be back classed for all sorts of things, including injuries, so don't take the class finish date as being cast in stone.

DarkPurple

Midshipman
@ws1602

Hi there, I saw earlier on this thread that you were looking for a date-to-day guide of PRNC at HMS Collingwood.

I’ve come across this guide on Reddit, from someone who completed PRNC at Collingwood last year.

Thought you might find it useful.

My nephew has the same PRNC date, and Raleigh entry date as you too. He’s doing Comms Tech.

Good luck

Last edited:

ws1602

Lantern Swinger
UPDATE #27

So PRNC is 2 and 1/2 weeks and the nerves are defo setting in. There is a lot riding on this and don't want to screw it up.

I've been going to the gym about twice/three times a week, doing lots of cardio, swimming and a few weights working on specific muscle groups. I also have returned back to my running group and running with them once a week doing different variations of running - long distance, sprints etc.

Been given some info about the PRNC from someone who did it fairly recently;
Tuesday - 2.4km run followed by ice breakers and team exercises
Wednesday - Swim followed by ships visit and other presentations
Thursday - Squad run followed by course debrief.

Hopefully I will pass but trying to keep optimistic for now.

WannabePilot18

Midshipman
UPDATE #27

So PRNC is 2 and 1/2 weeks and the nerves are defo setting in. There is a lot riding on this and don't want to screw it up.

I've been going to the gym about twice/three times a week, doing lots of cardio, swimming and a few weights working on specific muscle groups. I also have returned back to my running group and running with them once a week doing different variations of running - long distance, sprints etc.

Been given some info about the PRNC from someone who did it fairly recently;
Tuesday - 2.4km run followed by ice breakers and team exercises
Wednesday - Swim followed by ships visit and other presentations
Thursday - Squad run followed by course debrief.

Hopefully I will pass but trying to keep optimistic for now.
Your PRNC at collingwood?

Knights Anchor

Midshipman
Dont stress to much, if you had prepared you should be fine. As said before try your best at all times as you are assessed constantly. I completed my PRNC at HMS Collingwood on 26 Sept 2019 and the info that DarkPurple had provided is very accurate. I only realize now that I have 2 and half weeks before I start at HMS Raleigh, now that is a worry.

WannabePilot18

Midshipman
Dont stress to much, if you had prepared you should be fine. As said before try your best at all times as you are assessed constantly. I completed my PRNC at HMS Collingwood on 26 Sept 2019 and the info that DarkPurple had provided is very accurate. I only realize now that I have 2 and half weeks before I start at HMS Raleigh, now that is a worry.
Dont worry about raleigh told what to do where to go and how to do it, bit of phys, drill, cleaning and getting shouted at some times. Sounds worse than it actually is

@ws1602 how long did it take you to receive your date after doing your fitness test? I appreciate it is different for each candidate but I completed my fitness test last week so just wondering if weeks or months etc? Also congrats on your long process I was banging my head against a wall with capita for nearly a year and I’m finally done with the medical stuff haha! Please let us know how your PRNC goes and best of luck with it!

ws1602

Lantern Swinger
@Pats Nation

It took about 9 months. I passed my PJFT on the 16th December I think. I was then offered a place in September time.

Looking to do a post on Thursday as I have PRNC on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ws1602

Lantern Swinger
UPDATE #28

Currently sat on an overcrowded 2 carriage train on my way down to HMS Collingwood for PRNC. Although apparently it’s been given the unofficial name of HMS Collinggrad.

Unlikely that I will post anything during the time there. It will try to write something post PRNC, unless I am drowning my sorrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ws1602

Lantern Swinger
UPDATE #29

PRNC - Pre Royal Navy Course

PRNC is 4 day course from Mon-Thurs it consists of 2 pass or fail assessments - 2.4km run and 50m swim in under 4 minutes. However, they look for you to give 100% in every other thing that you do and your attitude, grit and determination to carry on are also assessed.

Monday
We all arrived at HMS Collingwood arrived at the RNAC Centre and were given a brief on ranks & rates of the Royal Navy along with health & safety and other bits of information. We then went to our mess' (rooms) and got changed into our sports kit and reported downstairs to have our BMI taken. On completion we then collect our kit and got to know our fellow candidates along with more briefs and introduction to basic drill. We then went and had dinner followed by more briefs.

Tuesday
Up at 0545 showered beds made, changed and straight to breakfast followed by brief. We then got changed into our sports kit ready for the Pre Joining Fitness Test. We then met our PTI and learnt some basic PT drill and ran to the parade square ahead of the run. We than did a warm and was shown the course. On completion we walked around the circle and waited for the rest fo the group to complete the run, *top tip* DO NOT TALK. Once this was completed we than ran to the gymnasium and had an introduction to IMF - Initial Military Fitness - this was hard as we did press ups, burpees & squat thrusts to the command of the PTI. Once we did this we then did some sit ups in pairs. Once this was done we than ran back the mess and got showered and had lunch. Once we had eaten we then boarded the coach and made our way to HMNB Portsmouth and boarded HMS Diamond and had a tour of this by the ships company many in our branches that we had applied for. We then headed back and had more briefs and evening meal. We then learnt how to iron our kit and do our hospital corner on our beds. Spent the rest of the evening do this.

Wednesday
We got up and made our beds and cleaned everywhere - this was a daily routine.
On completion we had breakfast and then came back had a brief and then went to do the swim test. We then did this in groups of 8 swam 50m and climbed out of the pool unaided. we then got into overalls treaded water for 2 mins and then did the 50m again, this was quite difficult as the weight of the overalls is a lot to lubber through the water, once this was done we did some "games" with a swimming brick. We then got showered and went back to HMS Collingwood had lunch and then did leadership tasks for the afternoon followed by more briefs nad more cleaning and more ironing and more folding and more sleeping.

Thursday
Up, breakfast, clean, make beds and inspections. On completion it was time for the 4km Squad run. This involved us running around the base stopping at various locations to do various exercises. Sprints, push ups, planks, commando crawls, etc this was quite difficult but at the end we did have a sense of achievement. Do not give up in this the staff and PTIs will shout at you and encourage you to put in more effort. Keep going don't stop and just keep trying, tell yourself you cannot do it because you can. No such phrase I can't.

Overall it was a really good week, at times I just wanted to stop but I learnt a lot about myself and that when even though your body says stop, give up you can carry out and push through this. Make sure that you have some common sense and know how to handle an iron. Make sure you have everything that is on the kit list and if you are unsure speak with your AFCO.

Needless to say we all passed and learnt what teamwork meant and best of all everyone got on and everyone had a laugh at some point.

bring on phase 1 training in 2020!!