2 people, poss military personnel, killed in NI

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Squirrel, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just flicked over to BBC news and was met with the story that 2 poss military pers have been killed in gun attack on the main gate of a barracks in Northern Ireland.

Hope this isn't a return to the bad old days.

RIP fellas..... but what the fcuk is going on??

Link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7930837.stm

2. They haven't gone away you know...
    Despite what the news reports over the last ten years have said, things still aren't as nice and friendly as is made out.
    Targeting still goes, and more and more areas are becoming OOB for Security Forces still. PSNI still ride around in armoured cars, and still wearing Flak Jackets instead of the new stab vests. Unfortunately news like this isn't as surprising as it should be.

Whoever those lads were, RIP

3. Wasn't there a warning just 2 days ago from the chief of police in NI that the threat was at its highest fro more than 5 years? Also reports that SAS members were back in keeping an eye on things? Any cnut that fell for Bliars peace process needs counseling.

See also thread on knighthood for Kennedy FFS

4. When this problem was raised during the week discussion was moderated. Bollox to that.

RIP lads

5. RIP

Do you think this means our forces are going to step things up there again?

*waits for news report saying troops in Iraq will be moved to Ireland*

6. Na, I doubt it. Whether they're required there or not, sending troops back again on a large basis would be too political for Labour. The Peace Proces in NI is supposed to be Labour's swansong, it's what they point at every time someone asks what they've achieved since 97. They'd much rather downplay situations like this, than admit that maybe they got it wrong and that the troops will be back on the streets again.
    Sinn Fein/Provies would scream blue murder, stall the process, then Labour would back down from them again.

7. Yeah thinking about it you're probably right, I originally thought they would want to retaliate against the killings in some way but they are probably going to catch the people that did it if they can, and that will solve the losing face problem.

Hopefully it doesn't kick off, our forces have enough to do with Afghan as it is.

8. If it were to flare up again, that would be the reason why those villainous, drug dealing scumbags would see now as being the best time :evil:

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So does this mean Blair will give back his Million dollar peace prize he won the other day?

10. To quote my mate who's an Ulsterman..

'' Cowardly fukcing Animals!''

11. Now is the opportunity for Sinn Fein to show their true colours. If they come out and condemn the attacks I will be delighted and may have to reassess my still jaundiced opinion of them ... if not ...

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well at least you admit it! 8O

13. very very sad, RIP lads

14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

RIP lads, lets hope its not the start of bigger things in NI

15. Adams and co want an United Ireland.A united Ireland run by the IRA in all its many faces,not a free and democratic country.Thats what they have always wanted but have not got yet. Political expediency has time and time again allowed this shite to continue.lets just hope that the PSNI are given the tools to do the job and that no more lives are lost.

16. R.I.P Lads

I totally agree with 4to8. However you sugar coat it, very little has changed.

17. Hmm i wonder where "Cornishgolfer" is to respond to this matter reference Kennedy post???

18. The IRA and more particularly the break away groups have not gone away; to believe otherwise would be foolish.

19. I can say that the majority of the people in the Republic think of these as total scumbags. Mind we have the drink fuelled heroic tawts singing the republican songs in the country pubs they will never go away.

The press over here states it was a pizza delivery and the lads from the Engineering Regt on the gate went to take the delivery and the fecking heroes :pukeleft: gave a burst of automatic fire killing two and injuring six.

With all the border crossings now open this shite could be deep into the country now.

Just a couple of weeks ago a bomb was found under a car at my local and also a pub two miles away. In the Republic! Mindless morons brainwashed by the gutter godfathers.

I remember taking my brother and his family on a trip up North when they came over from Canada. Such a beautiful place he stated!

The brother in law who lives in Dublin stated he has never in his life visited the giants causeway UP NORTH was always a no go area.

Saddened by this loss of life but not suprised in the least they have not gone away just hibernating.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of those affected.

20. from the telegraph, Ive not read the Irish[/quote] edition of Times yet