Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 hr Drive and 15 miles on my journey

subset said:
Ok gotta get the rant off my chest.

Today it took me 2 hours on a journey that normally takes 25 to 30 minutes and I had to take a round about journey to my place of duty adding 15 miles to the distance travelled all because of some unwashed morons blocking the road.

The so called peace protesters say that nuclear weapons are illegal, a crime against humanity, and all good christians should abhore them. So they protest against them by blockading the Clyde Naval Base to disrupt the work carried out there. Work I may add that is in defence of their country and their right to free speech.

If these people are so worried about illegal acts and are such good humanitarians and christians why were they not out in front of the Iranian embassy in London protesting against the illegal kidnapping of 15 fellow countrymen not allowed their basic human rights of legal representation and contact with their families.

They say they protest for peace but what the Iranians did to our sailors and marines would at one time been construed as an act of war. SOD IT!!! I'll say it IT WAS AN ACT OF WAR. So protest in London at the Iranian Embassy and support your armed forces and civilian defence workforce instead of stopping them going about their lawful duties.

I could go on a lot more and use a lot more colourful language, but I will not as I write this I can feel the red mist of my anger rising at the unthinking stupidity of some in this country.

Sorry if this post is long but I feel strongly that not enough is being done to free our brothers and sister in arms.

Subset

So is there anything that would make you protest and block a road, perhaps a controlled crossing because 2 or childen have been run over, 50% increase in fuel tax, laws to prevent hunting with dogs or in fact hunting with dogs. Or do you think nothing is as important as free passage on the Queens highway.

Of course sitting in the traffic jam you may cause will be at least one person who disagrees with your ideas and will be greatly pissed off and rant away on some forum or other.

Nutty

slim

War Hero
I am in favour of PEACEFUL protest.
However I am against disruptive, intrusive protesting.
The right to protest was won by those who had to fight for these rights, a fact conveniently forgotten by many protesters. I am also against any subsidies (in the form of benefits) being given to permenant protesters. If they are protesting 24/7 then that is a full time occupation and their existence should be paid for by their supporters, not the tax payer the majority of whom do not support their views.

angles_and_dangles said:
Golden_rivet I hope you dont still have those left wing surrender monkey views.

:lol:

no such thing as left and right any more ...

I don't think I would protest now at these issues though I can't say that for absolutely certain. I feel I now understand the fear that drove me to protest then much better. Certainly would no longer describe myself as a pacifist and was definitely not a communist - never read Marx apart from a little bit when studying politics some 20 years later...

ukdaytona

War Hero
But your all missing the point of their protest.....

They are against nuclear weapons - ok fine thats their choice.
They want rid of Trident - again their right to hold that belief

It is also my belief that to demonstrate how useful these missiles are we should remove the nosecone, fix chair (with protester strapped to said chair) to top of rocket, submerge to firing depth and fire......They will get birds eye view of just how useful these missiles are - but then that would be against their human rights, isnt PC and would cause uproar.....

Isnt it Clyde that has the cemetary across the road ??? and why drive round them when going through them is a more direct route

slim said:
The right to protest was won by those who had to fight for these rights, a fact conveniently forgotten by many protesters. I am also against any subsidies (in the form of benefits) being given to permenant protesters. If they are protesting 24/7 then that is a full time occupation and their existence should be paid for by their supporters, not the tax payer the majority of whom do not support their views.

Slim does that mean mothers and push chairs walking in a continuous circle across a Zebra Crossing holding up the traffic lets say for 1 hour to protest about the lack of traffic calming measures cos two children have been knocked down on that crossing. Is that a "Peaceful Protest". Or is your Idea of Peaceful Protest one that you agree with. If not then you must condemn these Mothers as much as the Peace Protesters and I do not think for one moment you will do that so I invite you to condem that type of protest.

Nutty

slim

War Hero
Nutty said:
slim said:

Slim does that mean mothers and push chairs walking in a continuous circle across a Zebra Crossing holding up the traffic lets say for 1 hour to protest about the lack of traffic calming measures cos two children have been knocked down on that crossing. Is that a "Peaceful Protest". Or is your Idea of Peaceful Protest one that you agree with. If not then you must condemn these Mothers as much as the Peace Protesters and I do not think for one moment you will do that so I invite you to condem that type of protest.

Nutty

Yes Nuttty it does include these mothers. If there have accidents at a crossing then the authorities should do something about traffic calming. Or do traffic calming measures not generate money?
The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident where a crossing was being used correctly should have any punishment imposed automatically doubled.

slim

War Hero
Nutty
If I remember correctly when picketing of premises was common (years ago) the pickets created havoc abusing those who attempted to cross their picket line. The result eventually was that the pickets were allowed to put their case to people crossing the line but not obstruct those who had lawful reason to do so.
Surely this is not unreasonable, the peace protesters should be allowed to protest but not obstruct. Obstruction should result in arrest and either a fine or for repeated offences a jail sentence.

Slim as I remember it four nominated pickets were allowed to stop and attempt to put their case to persons entereing the place of employment. It was not required to stop but was accepted that the person entering did stop if only for the briefest second and free access was allowed. Any others could be nicked.

My point was that many are happy to see disruption if they agree with the cause but then whinge a moan when they are affected by a cause to which they object. But you called my bluff you little sneak.

Nutty

angles_and_dangles said:

usually those who know me include 'cheese eating' in this expression AD to take account of my francophile tendancies.

Anyway ... I would say that 7+ years of studying international relations has left me with exactly the same distaste for nuclear weapons the only difference being that then I found the mindset of those who wanted to use them and were prepared to use them absolutely incomprehensible (ie politicians & military for those who can't keep up) and now I understand much more about where both these groups of people are coming from. I also don't think I can any longer properly describe myself as a pacifist since I can imagine circumstances where I would be quite willing to use force in order to defend both myself and others.

Nutty said:
Slim as I remember it four nominated pickets were allowed to stop and attempt to put their case to persons entereing the place of employment. It was not required to stop but was accepted that the person entering did stop if only for the briefest second and free access was allowed. Any others could be nicked.

My point was that many are happy to see disruption if they agree with the cause but then whinge a moan when they are affected by a cause to which they object. But you called my bluff you little sneak.

Nutty

What I don't understand is that there are quite reasonable rules for the establishment of picket lines but 'protesters get away with what ever they like. When CAT come for a visit here they are allowed to block vehicle access, and get away with some pretty objectional abuse.

golden_rivet said:
angles_and_dangles said:

usually those who know me include 'cheese eating' in this expression AD to take account of my francophile tendancies.

Anyway ... I would say that 7+ years of studying international relations has left me with exactly the same distaste for nuclear weapons the only difference being that then I found the mindset of those who wanted to use them and were prepared to use them absolutely incomprehensible (ie politicians & military for those who can't keep up) and now I understand much more about where both these groups of people are coming from. I also don't think I can any longer properly describe myself as a pacifist since I can imagine circumstances where I would be quite willing to use force in order to defend both myself and others.

Having been around in the early days of Polaris then it was clearly accepted by all of us that actually using it was a sign that we had failed. Now if the Ban the Bomb mb equally demonstrated outside the Iranian Embassy, North Korean Embassy, Israeli Embassy etc etc perhaps one could believe some of their retoric, but they don't never have and never will and until they do they will always be seen as fifth columnists.

I regret to inform you GR that you are in a very small minority on here to have experienced protesting against military power. It does appear to be a commonly held belief that everyone has the right to protest, and we will defend anyones right to do such, just don't prevent anyone else from getting on with their lawful business until you have persauded the majority to make that activity illegal.

If the only means by which you expect to get the law changed is to break other laws you are showing contempt for the rest of society and should be dealt with accordingly. It would appear that some protestors believe in democracy when it suits and demand their human rights etc, but when the majority do not concur on a matter they believe in profoundly they disregard democracy and take the law into their own hands. Were the military to do the same it would be called a coup.

Fortunately the British Military have more sense and discipline.

phil1972 said:
I regret to inform you GR that you are in a very small minority on here to have experienced protesting against military power. It does appear to be a commonly held belief that everyone has the right to protest, and we will defend anyones right to do such, just don't prevent anyone else from getting on with their lawful business until you have persauded the majority to make that activity illegal.

If the only means by which you expect to get the law changed is to break other laws you are showing contempt for the rest of society and should be dealt with accordingly. It would appear that some protestors believe in democracy when it suits and demand their human rights etc, but when the majority do not concur on a matter they believe in profoundly they disregard democracy and take the law into their own hands. Were the military to do the same it would be called a coup.

Phil

Does that apply to the Country Side Alliance, protests including assaulting Police Officer in Parliment Square.

National Farmers Union and National Road Haulage Industry blocking roads and slow moving convoys in protest at fuel price rises.

I see a protesters LINK here "Country Side Alliance" and "National Farmers Union", quick get MI5 possible terrorist cells.

Animanl rights protestors objecting to lorry loads of 1 week old animals being driving from UK to Greece in open slat side lorries for 70 odd hours with no stops or water in sub zero winter tempretures. Then being kicked off, yes booted like footballs off the lorries at the other end.

Parents blocking roads outside courts when some objectional offender appears in court.

????????????????????

Nutty

The_Chief_Wizzum

Midshipman
The protestors that blockaded the base on wednesday were foriegners, from Germany I believe, however their numbers would be boosted by the hairies from the peace camp.

Still, I won't have to woryy about Faslane 365, CND et al anymore, I handed my ID card back yesterday and sailed off into the sunset to start my new life neggers thr RN.

Maybe I'll take a days holiday later in the year and sit at the main gate - just for the dit value of course!

dondon

MIA
The_Chief_Wizzum said:
The protestors that blockaded the base on wednesday were foriegners, from Germany I believe, however their numbers would be boosted by the hairies from the peace camp.

Still, I won't have to woryy about Faslane 365, CND et al anymore, I handed my ID card back yesterday and sailed off into the sunset to start my new life neggers thr RN.

Maybe I'll take a days holiday later in the year and sit at the main gate - just for the dit value of course!

Enjoy your draft to civvie street "TCW" , whole new world out here , seems to go quicker for some reason , probably cos I'm home every night & not on deployment , sometimes miss it though , memorries ,

josiecats

War Hero
think summer time is the worst..
it takes me 45 mins to drive to my mums..(well lite speed anyway!!)yet in the summer can take up to 2hours or more... realy gets me mad....... 2 kids ,, 2 dogs all going nuts in the car.. so up goes the music... up goes the temper up goes the missery..........lol......... so now i just tak loads of drink and sweets and toys... well least we get a day out,,, maybe in the car but we are stil out,,,lol

Nutty said:
phil1972 said:

Phil

Does that apply to the Country Side Alliance, protests including assaulting Police Officer in Parliment Square.

National Farmers Union and National Road Haulage Industry blocking roads and slow moving convoys in protest at fuel price rises.

I see a protesters LINK here "Country Side Alliance" and "National Farmers Union", quick get MI5 possible terrorist cells.

Animanl rights protestors objecting to lorry loads of 1 week old animals being driving from UK to Greece in open slat side lorries for 70 odd hours with no stops or water in sub zero winter tempretures. Then being kicked off, yes booted like footballs off the lorries at the other end.

Parents blocking roads outside courts when some objectional offender appears in court.

????????????????????

Nutty

I think most of us would agree there is a reasonable right to protest, the problem in general is where such protest does start to infringe on others clear right to earn a living and enjoy their various other human rights as enshrined in law. Now strke pickets have strict legislation on their ability to stop others working, should this not also apply to other forms of protest.

dondon

MIA
josiecats said:
think summer time is the worst..
it takes me 45 mins to drive to my mums..(well lite speed anyway!!)yet in the summer can take up to 2hours or more... realy gets me mad....... 2 kids ,, 2 dogs all going nuts in the car.. so up goes the music... up goes the temper up goes the missery..........lol......... so now i just tak loads of drink and sweets and toys... well least we get a day out,,, maybe in the car but we are stil out,,,lol

Stay calm "josie" , think of Bruce , loved your phots in the gallery of you in your younger years , guessed straight away that it was you , see ya later ,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Desert test drive for Mars rover controlled from 1,000 miles away MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health and Social Care Secretary announces bureaucracy-busting drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government leads national drive to protect victims of child abuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK government launches taskforce to support drive for 2 million green jobs by 2030 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Office for Investment to drive foreign investment into the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 500,000 daily testing capacity reached in ongoing drive to boost test and trace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive to help 10,000 people with serious mental illness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The drive to improve motorway journeys for disabled people MoD News 0
MoD_RSS US exports drive home success for UK golf trolley manufacturer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100,000 apply to join police in first year of recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Humandrive: vehicle completes 230 mile, self-navigated drive across the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular economy measures drive forward ambitious plans for waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government sets out plans to drive up smart meter installations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homes England commissions MMC research study to drive construction innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 3,000 extra officers join police in recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches new drive on coronavirus tests for frontline NHS staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister to lead cross-government drive to defeat coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of major 'source to sea' natural flood management drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary: We're going on a discipline drive in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £90 million UK drive to reduce carbon emissions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS End of coal power to be brought forward in drive towards net zero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mark Carney to drive finance action for UK climate talks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building centres to drive electric revolution: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM renews drive to give more power to Northern regions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backs cutting-edge tech to drive down shipping emissions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Navy seeks innovative ideas to drive world leading autonomy capability MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Women's Business Council to drive progress on closing the gender pay gap MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New drive to continue boosting standards in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New studies will help drive protections for beetles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches police recruitment drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Innovative funding models and technologies to drive investment in new wave of low carbon energy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New investment to drive forward next generation of net zero planes and cars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to lead global innovation in sustainable plastics in drive to net zero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women in Finance Charter continues to drive change at highest level MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive for Team Tempest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Stone Path Drive, Hatfield Peverel (ref: 3162004 - 8 July 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Called-in decision: land off Stone Path Drive, Hatfield Peverel (ref: 3180725 - 8 July 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Experts to drive “real change” in support of teachers’ wellbeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £7.8 million to drive forward innovative ideas to transform railways MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK-USA special relationship helps drive British exports to record heights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Colleges benefit from multi-million fund to drive up standards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Drive to unleash potential of North East's youngsters stepped-up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO ministers meet ambassadors and high commissioners of ASEAN member states to drive forward UK-ASEAN ties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: DIT launches new tool to drive foreign investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Dr Liam Fox: Big dreams drive small business to take on the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Offender rehabilitation drive boosted by new ROTL rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO Ministers meet Ambassadors and High Commissioners of ASEAN member states to drive forward UK-ASEAN ties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK commits to international partnerships to meet shared challenges and drive growth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Crime news: further drive to boost accurate electronic Crown Court claims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt: Effects of climate change are fuelling conflict, UK to drive forward the global response MoD News 0