Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.4km run

Hello, I am currently getting out runs 3 to 4 times a week trying to nail the time, I try to do the run on the treadmill once out of them 3-4.

When doing the run do you need to do the whole run continuously without stop or slow down.

( currently i can do the run in 12.30 outside but 11.40 on treadmill and need it down to 12.16 to pass. I couldn't run half a mile in feb and have also lost over 6 stone to get in. Is there any tips or advice for the run?)

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hello, I am currently getting out runs 3 to 4 times a week trying to nail the time, I try to do the run on the treadmill once out of them 3-4.

When doing the run do you need to do the whole run continuously without stop or slow down.

( currently i can do the run in 12.30 outside but 11.40 on treadmill and need it down to 12.16 to pass. I couldn't run half a mile in feb and have also lost over 6 stone to get in. Is there any tips or advice for the run?)
Interval train twice a week. . Give yourself 2/3 days in between HIIT, due to injury.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Would you recommend then doing the full run once a week? As well as the interval training
I’d say once. Incorporate HIIT twice but space it out so you’re not prone to injury.
800m sprints is ideal. 800m sprint, then 400m v. slow pace (not walking).
Introduce swimming too, and have a day or two off to stretch etc.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Make sure you warm up and down and stretch out properly.
A very good effort in losing that weight and improving your fitness.

Keep it up.

Zoidberg

War Hero
I recommend heart rate training. It allows your body to adjust and given you've had to lose weight I'd assume you weren't very fit to start with.

You can add intervals or longer runs as part of heart rate. Anyway, everyone reacts differently to training.

Good effort, though.

Yeah I was far from fit, could barely walk the length of myself but can do a mile in 7.35 mins now just getting that last half mile in a good time is needed

mick1199

Midshipman

When you go for a run how far are you running? I’m pretty young and trim but up until a couple of months ago had never been running in my life, so I was pretty unfit. Since then, I’ve been running about 3.5 miles every other day, sometimes I’ll do 2 or 3 days in a row before having a rest. I usually alternate between running that distance at a slower pace without stopping, and other times I’ll do the first 1.5 mile as fast as I can and then slow down and run the rest at a slower pace. If I need to stop I just give myself a minute or so of walking and then start again. I haven’t attempted the 2.4km on a treadmill yet but I can manage it in 11mins at the moment on roads and pavement, bearing in mind most of the route I use is uphill.

Someone mentioned stretching too, definitely helps doing it before and after. Otherwise my legs were shot afterwards. I think trying to do longer runs at a slower pace helps more than just doing the same 2.4km over and over again. If you can run 3 miles, you should find doing half of that but at a quicker pace a lot easier. That said I’m no expert, but as someone who was nowhere near standard to begin with, this worked for me.

Best of luck!

catan-man

Midshipman
Hi there. I was in a similar boat to you when I started prepping to apply in February. I started on the Couch to 5k, that got me to the point where I could do the PJFT. from there I’m moving to a more broad approach with swimming etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martnet

I'd agree with the earlier comments about varying your routine and guarding against injury. I started preparing a little over a year ago, at which point I was 3 stone overweight and couldn't run 2 mins without getting winded. I did the Couch to 5K first, mostly on a treadmill, plus strength training in between days. Eventually, though, I moved my runs outside and started varying the length and pace. Now my weight and cardiovascular health are both where they should be and my routine is: two days a week I run 10K at 70-80% max heart rate, one day a week I run 5K at 80-90% max heart rate, one day a week strength training, one day a week cross-training (usually swimming or rugby). All of this means I don't get bored and my body doesn't get used to the same routine every day. Also, can't overemphasise the importance of a proper warm-up/cool down and stretching before and after runs. Best way to prevent common injuries!

When you go for a run how far are you running? I’m pretty young and trim but up until a couple of months ago had never been running in my life, so I was pretty unfit. Since then, I’ve been running about 3.5 miles every other day, sometimes I’ll do 2 or 3 days in a row before having a rest. I usually alternate between running that distance at a slower pace without stopping, and other times I’ll do the first 1.5 mile as fast as I can and then slow down and run the rest at a slower pace. If I need to stop I just give myself a minute or so of walking and then start again. I haven’t attempted the 2.4km on a treadmill yet but I can manage it in 11mins at the moment on roads and pavement, bearing in mind most of the route I use is uphill.

Someone mentioned stretching too, definitely helps doing it before and after. Otherwise my legs were shot afterwards. I think trying to do longer runs at a slower pace helps more than just doing the same 2.4km over and over again. If you can run 3 miles, you should find doing half of that but at a quicker pace a lot easier. That said I’m no expert, but as someone who was nowhere near standard to begin with, this worked for me.

Best of luck
Up until last week I was running 1.5 mile 2 times a week with a time of 14.40 but Friday passed I ran it 12.30, and today I done it in 12.10. I have increased how many days a week I do cardio

I do weight training 4 times as week and cardio 3/4 times as week to help get stamina and endurance up and it has helped im hoping in the next week I have the run down to 12 mins and then to continue on dropping it.

Before February I could barely walk half a mile so running at this time is still a big change and wanting to push myself to be better and healthier.

I will try doing 5k twice a week from next week and keep increasing it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
CalCi Tips on training for the 2.4km run Health & Fitness 139
T 2.4km run; Bleep test or straightforward run? RFA 9
E 2.4km treadmill run Health & Fitness 40
K 2.4km run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S 2.4km Run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 145
T 2.4km Run Bases / Shore Est 7
T 2.4km run for Old Farts Sports and Adventure Training 20
S Peoples times for RM 2.4km run! Sports and Adventure Training 9
C What's your 2.4km time? Joining the Royal Navy 43
creddly Your average 1.5 mile (2.4km) time. (Topic for everyone) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 229
MoD_RSS ACT for Youth: RUN HIDE TELL MoD News 0
D South Africa. Used to be a great run ashore for us--Now! Diamond Lil's 9
MoD_RSS UK and Canadian Diplomats team up for Terry Fox Anniversary Run MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New online register of charities “widens the public’s window” into how charities are run MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Run for Heroes founder wins PM award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trustee operated without oversight at ‘inadequately run’ charity finds Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 'Plymouth's worst fly-tipper' jailed after 3 years on the run MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Serco awarded contract to run Gatwick immigration removal centres MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mother banned for allowing disqualified son to run company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Snowbird Mk IV, accident during ground run and taxi test MoD News 0
MorganCUFC Run Times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
O Royal Navy run Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Preventing pollution and hazards from soil water run-off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Cutting edge bio-tech system to clean A38 water run-off in Devon MoD News 0
R Run times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
LeedsBornLeedsBred Question regarding 4K squad run at PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Press release: Garage bosses allowed disqualified director to run company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Applications open to run country's first Secure School MoD News 0
Stirlin Jeff Beck : Still on the run. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
A Sounds like a good run.............. Current Affairs 14
MoD_RSS News story: KITE and VAPC NE run an Armed Forces Community Hub workshop MoD News 0
Antonio555 PRNC 1.5 Mile Run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
JedS Best run ashore town/city you visited. The Quarterdeck 18
l4l4 HMS Caledonia run test. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
T5igger Run time for fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D best way of prerparing for 2.4k run? Joining the Royal Navy 10
H Group run at the PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
M PJFT Run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS News story: MOD announces contract to run military logistics MoD News 0
T Running motivation while training. Look out for "Park Run". Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS News story: MOD announces preferred bidder to run military logistics programme MoD News 0
W What music do you run to? Health & Fitness 23
chrismonc87 Why is it so hard to run with cold and blocked nose!! Health & Fitness 32
A Most interesting run ashore History 0
S PRNC run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
J prnc run questions... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
scouse Run Run Shaw Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
soleil Sky: "British Armed Forces 'Could Be Run By A Woman'" Current Affairs 54
WreckerL End of run, good run Diamond Lil's 12