1st ship

July 95 - Invincible. 1st Night onboard, got kicked at 0100 by LS(R) letting me know politely "you're on the gangway in 45 min" :oops:

No duty watch training then :D:D

Sumo

War Hero
HMS Gurhka end of 75 just returned from windies, states & Canada. Totally knackered, next time she left the wall of North for cod wars

Jane

Midshipman
HMS Maidstone in January 63 up at Faslane, bloody freezing cold and raining to boot just to make my day. Fell foul of the Reg Office right away as I addressed the MAA as "Joss" and was seen to sporting a small ring in my ear! I had been at Sea Eagle where we called the the MAA "Joss", as we lashed him up to loads of bubbly, and had the ring in because that was what a couple of my two badge buddies had. I was then taken to the jetty and double marched until the killick Reg became bored and then back to the Reg Office where the ring was removed none to softly, despite my proestations that I was part gypsy (party true by the way) By the time I got down to the Naval Stores office the full reception committee was waiting lead by the CPOSA(who was to be to become the bane of my existence and I of his for the next year). "Well PSA bloody ***** we will bloody well see who bloody well is sailor here. You will be bloody main store humping party boyo" So humped and humped, took to wearing ovies and after a week or so went to see the Head Boyo with a request to change branches to stoker. I explained to my "oppo" that as I wore ovies I might as well wear them full time. "I'll bloody well show you boyo about job changes yer now", so off I went to the Communial Party run by German George and a PO who had a dog onboard. After heads and bathrooms to "adjust my attitude" but after being guided by an AB Henry Riley we had it down to a couple of hours a day. Always got an "excellent" on rounds day so was given "scrubbing out party" for the three after flats plus I had the flat outside of "boyos" office as mine to keep clean. It was always immaculate( that Welsh bastard was not going to beat me) so I was promoted to Chaple Flat sweeper which encompassed the Wardroom Galley and the Laundry. Well talk about falling on my feet, bloody gold card boyo! helped the Maker's Rep sort out the vino sacro, got soap buckshee for the Laundry and changed galley boots etc for the chefs in return for the odd gargle of vino, free dhoby and a nice breakfast every day. Cracked my Welsh mate by requesting another session on the Communal Party. Back to jack dustying down aft in the electronics store with an LSA who Boyo also had it in for. By this time Dreadnought was alongside and I became buddies with the Stores PO onboard and humped his stores and ran errands for him. Fancied myself as a clean 8's submariner and duely requestec transfer to Boats. Nothing was said for a while and I thought I was on my way to Dolphin but no way Boyo had the last laugh by shafting me by way of very "unflattering" write up which ended any aspirations of me serving beneath the waves. Left the Maidstone for Cochrane in Jan 64 wherae I was met by one of the Boyo's oppo's who said that He would be keeping a very close eye on me! luckily he went big time sick on shore and I was sent to work on the Corunna.
Sorry to ramble on but it was all part of the story plus a fair bit of time under puns as well!

I recall destoring the Maidstone, and then having to restore her for the move to NI for prison/accom ship (had some probs with a certain Civil service Auditor - but that's another story !!). Was also a PSA in 63, was at Fort Blockhouse in Gosport - could we have been in the same Class at Ganges ??
HMS Maidstone in January 63 up at Faslane, ...………

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
HMS Maidstone was my first and only (thank ****) ship when it was parked in Belfast and used as a barracks for our tour from March-July 1970. There was still a small number of sailors on board for the first few weeks until they were finally withdrawn and the army took responsibility for the whole bit of tin. While they were on board they still got their tot o' rum daily which confused our QM when they first indented for it!

We were on the two can per day rule so a bit jealous. I got a sip once and have to say it is an 'acquired taste' but one I'm sure I would have become used to!:cool:

I don't recall the sailors ever going ashore but they used to get well pissed in their Mess which upset our officers a bit. I did not like my time on the cold, damp, smelly, unforgiving (lots of sharp bits and bumps to trip over) old dump of a ship. It was good enough for squaddies to live on but against prisoners' human rights!

Wightsparker

War Hero
HMS Maidstone was my first and only (thank ****) ship when it was parked in Belfast and used as a barracks for our tour from March-July 1970. There was still a small number of sailors on board for the first few weeks until they were finally withdrawn and the army took responsibility for the whole bit of tin. While they were on board they still got their tot o' rum daily which confused our QM when they first indented for it!

We were on the two can per day rule so a bit jealous. I got a sip once and have to say it is an 'acquired taste' but one I'm sure I would have become used to!:cool:

I don't recall the sailors ever going ashore but they used to get well pissed in their Mess which upset our officers a bit. I did not like my time on the cold, damp, smelly, unforgiving (lots of sharp bits and bumps to trip over) old dump of a ship. It was good enough for squaddies to live on but against prisoners' human rights!

...and was considered rather luxurious by those manning the submarines she originally supported!

HMS Maidstone was my first and only (thank ….

We were on the two can per day rule so a bit jealous. I got a sip once and have to say it is an 'acquired taste' but one I'm sure I would have become used to!:cool: ...
As I recall it, not too many squaddies managed to 'acquire' a taste for bubbly when I served in the Old Gray Ghost (Albion 64 - 66) ! … not that I was qualified/allowed to have it either (or even a can of beer !!) , being a mere baby sailor of 16 - 18, and therefore non -entitled as being under age !! :D