1st ship

barny006

War Hero
HMS Whiby,Round the world, no aircon, hammocks,AMP Singers, living in terror.
Best shipHMS Swallow B4 being sold to the Irish navy

Taztiff

War Hero
Dido 1979.

The bastards made me fly all the way to Australia to join her.

I had to stay in Sydney for 3 days before flying to Brisbane to join the the ship.

Absolute hell, I wouldn't recommend that to any naive, young, horny matelot... no, definitely not... :-D
Just seen this @Ballistic (old thread). It look like you were my replacement as the baby tiff!!!
I went on draft from Dido from Sydney - I had 1 night ashore there before having to get out of me pit at 5 in the morning to fly back on the crab VC10 taking a FMG team back to the UK.
Got back to Collingwood for FTT and spent 2 months in one of the school offices waiting for the course to start - everyday wishing I was still on board.

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
HMS Antrim, joined her in the Med 1972, then trotted off for a 9 month deployment to the far east. Not a bad start in life for a young JRO(2).
HMS Antrim was my first ship too. Where in the Med were we when you joined Repo?

It was around Jul 1972. I was two months shy of my 17th birthday and I had just finished my training at Collingrad; I was a newly minted JOEM2. On completion of training I was sent to the buffers party and one day I was sweeping the main drag when a tilly pulled up. The LReggie driver said "you've been drafted, pack your kit and report to the Reg Office in 45 mins" he then drove off; miserable twat didn't even offer me a ride back to Camperdown Block. So I threw the broom on the grass and smartly made my way back to the blocks.

Kit packed, I duly reported to the Reg Office. Me and four other JEM's (two more JOEM's, one JCEM and one JREM) were told to put our kit in the back of the tilly and report to the RPO to pick up our draft chits and other paperwork. "You've got five minutes" grunted the LReg. All aboard the tilly, with said paperwork in hand, we set off for Pompey Dockyard. In due course, we arrived at Fountain Lake Jetty and there, getting ready for sea, was HMS Antrim. After doing some of our electrical training in the Harbour Training ships Diamond and Blackwood, the Antrim looked sleek, awesome and mahoosive.

The LReg was somewhat less impressed than us JEM's; "get your kit and report to the Master at Arms on that there ship ON THE DOUBLE" screamed the LReg. Kit bags over the shoulder, pussers green suitcase in hand, paperwork held by teeth, we set off up the gangway. "WHO ARE YOU LOT AND WHY ARE YOU ON MY SHIP?" enquired the Bosun's Mate in a voice that could be heard back at Unicorn Gate. After telling him, rather meekly, that we were told to report here, the BM told us to report to the Jossman's office "THROUGH THAT HATCH AND DOWN THE LADDER". Struggling with our kit we made it down to K Flats and reported to the Master-at-Arms. The MAA was Peter Robertson, some of you may have sailed with him or at least crossed his bows; he was a legend in the RN.

After being advised in a rather soft voice and a fatherly manner (yeah, right NOT), that he was to be addressed as Master, not Chief, he informed us that HMS Antrim was sailing in the afternoon for a three month Med deployment. We filled out loads of forms, got issued with Station cards, was shown the Watch & Station Bill and then told to report to the LHOM of 3P mess. Keep in mind...none of us newbies had a fcuking clue on the layout of the ship or where we were in relation to the outside (were we facing forward or aft?) Which deck are we on now? How do we get to 3 deck? Are we really sailing this afternoon for three months?

HMS Antrim did sail that afternoon. As me and the other two JOEM's didn't have a clue where we were supposed to be we went on the upper deck and watched Pompey fade astern; it was exhilarating, awesome and a little scary. We were heading to Portland for some last minute stores items before sailing on to Gibraltar. During the transit to Gibraltar I was assigned to WE6 where I was taken under wing by a salty LOEM. It was about three days after we'd left Pompey that the LOEM and his protégé (me) were duty. We had to check the Nav Lights one hour before sunset so the LOEM was asking permission for us to go onto the bridge so we could switch on the Nav Lights. The CO, Captain David Loram, (who saw action against the Tirpitz in WWII), was sitting in his chair. "Come here" he said. "I don't know you, I am the Captain, who are you?" "JOEM2 PedlarP, Sir" I stuttered. "Well, welcome aboard Antrim, I'm sure you'll find this a very happy ship in which to serve". "Thank you, Sir" I stammered. Now, some 45 years later, I still vividly remember that first encounter with Captain Loram. And yes, HMS Antrim was a happy ship; I enjoyed every minute of my time in her and was gutted when I was drafted about a year later.

During the Med deployment we visited: Gib, Barcelona, Toulon, Saint Raphael, Augusta, Naples, Malta, Crete, Istanbul and Cyprus. We arrived back in Portsmouth for a SWP and Christmas Leave and departed UK on 29 December for a year-long Far East deployment. I only ended up doing about 9 months because Draftie decided I was needed in HMS Triumph (A108) at Chatham :-( I left Antrim while we were in Korea; flew commercial to Hong Kong and then Crabair on a seated aft VC10 to Brize Norton via Gan and Akrotiri.

After a year on the Triumph I was drafted to boats and spent the next 8 years in submarines. In 1982 I left the RN, came to Canada and joined the RCN submarine service where I stayed until 2005. All told, I served 34.5 years (1971 to 1982 RN and 1982 to 2005 RCN). Some drafts where good, others not so much; however, I will always cherish my time in HMS Antrim. She was indeed, a happy ship :)

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
HMS Whiby,Round the world, no aircon, hammocks,AMP Singers, living in terror.
Best shipHMS Swallow B4 being sold to the Irish navy
By August 2014, LÉ Ciara had been out of commission for several months after the discovery of asbestos on the ship

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
MARLBOROUGH '99. Round the buoy at DOST, then an epic Gulf deployment, including a 3 day run ashore in Falaraki.....
MARBOROUGH '99 - doing a ships investigation in Falaraki!

Kidding.....

WAVENY an MSF in 10MCM, then ORWELL shortly after; Vomiting and headaches all ascribed to alcohol intake so ignored that. Oddly symptoms didn't appear on periods in NEWCASTLE, SANTA MARIA, DOYLE, JACOBS V-K (although the alcohol intake was significantly increased) and 4 years later joined the Regulars. Cue BRAZEN in '92. Vomiting and headaches returned, couldn't be alcohol I'd truly mastered that, put down to being allergic to standing on bridges.

barny006

War Hero
Probably Whitby, Brighton and all the ships refitted by GRG and now Swallow, I was just given a chipping hammer wire cutters and a gash bag and told to get on with it, no mention of a dust mask, but if you were lagging party you were entitled to an extra pint of milk a day.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Probably Whitby, Brighton and all the ships refitted by GRG and now Swallow, I was just given a chipping hammer wire cutters and a gash bag and told to get on with it, no mention of a dust mask, but if you were lagging party you were entitled to an extra pint of milk a day.
An extra pint a day? How many tins of condensed to make that?
The trouble with referring to Whitby and Brighton for your asbestos contamination--MOD will deny it. You've got them by the short and curlies so far as Swallow is concerned. The Irish have made it public

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
HMS Antrim was my first ship too. Where in the Med were we when you joined Repo?

It was around Jul 1972. I was two months shy of my 17th birthday and I had just finished my training at Collingrad; I was a newly minted JOEM2. On completion of training I was sent to the buffers party and one day I was sweeping the main drag when a tilly pulled up. The LReggie driver said "you've been drafted, pack your kit and report to the Reg Office in 45 mins" he then drove off; miserable twat didn't even offer me a ride back to Camperdown Block. So I threw the broom on the grass and smartly made my way back to the blocks.

Kit packed, I duly reported to the Reg Office. Me and four other JEM's (two more JOEM's, one JCEM and one JREM) were told to put our kit in the back of the tilly and report to the RPO to pick up our draft chits and other paperwork. "You've got five minutes" grunted the LReg. All aboard the tilly, with said paperwork in hand, we set off for Pompey Dockyard. In due course, we arrived at Fountain Lake Jetty and there, getting ready for sea, was HMS Antrim. After doing some of our electrical training in the Harbour Training ships Diamond and Blackwood, the Antrim looked sleek, awesome and mahoosive.

The LReg was somewhat less impressed than us JEM's; "get your kit and report to the Master at Arms on that there ship ON THE DOUBLE" screamed the LReg. Kit bags over the shoulder, pussers green suitcase in hand, paperwork held by teeth, we set off up the gangway. "WHO ARE YOU LOT AND WHY ARE YOU ON MY SHIP?" enquired the Bosun's Mate in a voice that could be heard back at Unicorn Gate. After telling him, rather meekly, that we were told to report here, the BM told us to report to the Jossman's office "THROUGH THAT HATCH AND DOWN THE LADDER". Struggling with our kit we made it down to K Flats and reported to the Master-at-Arms. The MAA was Peter Robertson, some of you may have sailed with him or at least crossed his bows; he was a legend in the RN.

After being advised in a rather soft voice and a fatherly manner (yeah, right NOT), that he was to be addressed as Master, not Chief, he informed us that HMS Antrim was sailing in the afternoon for a three month Med deployment. We filled out loads of forms, got issued with Station cards, was shown the Watch & Station Bill and then told to report to the LHOM of 3P mess. Keep in mind...none of us newbies had a fcuking clue on the layout of the ship or where we were in relation to the outside (were we facing forward or aft?) Which deck are we on now? How do we get to 3 deck? Are we really sailing this afternoon for three months?

HMS Antrim did sail that afternoon. As me and the other two JOEM's didn't have a clue where we were supposed to be we went on the upper deck and watched Pompey fade astern; it was exhilarating, awesome and a little scary. We were heading to Portland for some last minute stores items before sailing on to Gibraltar. During the transit to Gibraltar I was assigned to WE6 where I was taken under wing by a salty LOEM. It was about three days after we'd left Pompey that the LOEM and his protégé (me) were duty. We had to check the Nav Lights one hour before sunset so the LOEM was asking permission for us to go onto the bridge so we could switch on the Nav Lights. The CO, Captain David Loram, (who saw action against the Tirpitz in WWII), was sitting in his chair. "Come here" he said. "I don't know you, I am the Captain, who are you?" "JOEM2 PedlarP, Sir" I stuttered. "Well, welcome aboard Antrim, I'm sure you'll find this a very happy ship in which to serve". "Thank you, Sir" I stammered. Now, some 45 years later, I still vividly remember that first encounter with Captain Loram. And yes, HMS Antrim was a happy ship; I enjoyed every minute of my time in her and was gutted when I was drafted about a year later.

During the Med deployment we visited: Gib, Barcelona, Toulon, Saint Raphael, Augusta, Naples, Malta, Crete, Istanbul and Cyprus. We arrived back in Portsmouth for a SWP and Christmas Leave and departed UK on 29 December for a year-long Far East deployment. I only ended up doing about 9 months because Draftie decided I was needed in HMS Triumph (A108) at Chatham :-( I left Antrim while we were in Korea; flew commercial to Hong Kong and then Crabair on a seated aft VC10 to Brize Norton via Gan and Akrotiri.

After a year on the Triumph I was drafted to boats and spent the next 8 years in submarines. In 1982 I left the RN, came to Canada and joined the RCN submarine service where I stayed until 2005. All told, I served 34.5 years (1971 to 1982 RN and 1982 to 2005 RCN). Some drafts where good, others not so much; however, I will always cherish my time in HMS Antrim. She was indeed, a happy ship :)
Vice Admiral Sir David Loram Died June 2011

repoman

War Hero
Pedlar, I joined Antrim when she pulled into St. Angelo, and left her just over two years later. You must have left us when we were in Chinhae in Korea then.

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Pedlar, I joined Antrim when she pulled into St. Angelo, and left her just over two years later. You must have left us when we were in Chinhae in Korea then.
Indeed @repoman although TBH couldn't remember the port. I do remember it was a long drive to Pusan (Busan now) and then took a commercial flight to Seoul and another commercial flight to Hong Kong. With a weekend stop-over in HK, stops in Gan and Akrotiri, it took about 4 days to get home from Chinhae :(.

repoman

War Hero
Indeed @repoman although TBH couldn't remember the port. I do remember it was a long drive to Pusan (Busan now) and then took a commercial flight to Seoul and another commercial flight to Hong Kong. With a weekend stop-over in HK, stops in Gan and Akrotiri, it took about 4 days to get home from Chinhae :(.
Shit mate, we stopped at Gan on the way out there. Full of Raffie Chappies and nothing else as I recall.

Stirlin

War Hero

, I will always cherish my time in HMS Antrim. She was indeed, a happy ship :)
@PedlarP , Pedlar , I was on the Fife and we tied up along side you in Gib , soon as we shut down secure and leave was piped at 1330 as we had just finished a 3 week patrol in the Med . We went up top for a tab before shower and going ashore ,
your Joss was talking to our Joss on the Ant' just by the mini gangway between the 2 flight decks.
They were the spitting image of each other and we noticed that all the JR's scuttling about on Ant' had regulation haircuts and sideys and 'smart' working dress , we on the other hand had non reg haircuts and lamb chop sideys way past the bottom of the ear and ovies unbuttoned to the waist with rips and way past exchange time.
This did not go unnoticed by your Joss , you could see his pilot Vv's kettleing :D.
Would we be picked up for haircut and sideys as we stepped aboard Ant' to go ashore ? , nope , only QM & BM on your flight deck as we legged it ashore.
Was on Fife for 27 months from Nov 70 to March 73 , my second ship and certainly the best.

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Home town Lyme Regis, having joined the Navy to see the world my first draft was HMS Brocklesby at Portland, I could almost see Mothers front door. Auwe trials ship crew of around 60/70 plus various boffins at times (who we never seemed to come into contact with). No guns or other war like things. I was the the only Junior onboard so that was easier to ignore and so there were no restrictions on me such as midnight leave etc.

fishhead

War Hero
Home town Lyme Regis, having joined the Navy to see the world my first draft was HMS Brocklesby at Portland, I could almost see Mothers front door. Auwe trials ship crew of around 60/70 plus various boffins at times (who we never seemed to come into contact with). No guns or other war like things. I was the the only Junior onboard so that was easier to ignore and so there were no restrictions on me such as midnight leave etc.
You had to behave in Portland or someone would tell your Mum;)