1st ship

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by johne, Dec 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well mine was HMS Hardy a type 14 frigate. The year was 1974. Oh shit I thought as I walked up that gangway. What a tub of a ship 1800 tons of rust.Then it hit me 2nd frigate sqdn, Yuk day running from Portland for the next 2 plus years.

2. Same here first ship 1966 Leander Class, 18 months Far East followed by Windies.
    Happy new year.:-D

3. Happy new year trelawny.

4. First ship Hms Maidstone 1957 as a Junior
    Mind you at that time she was CinC Home Flagship and also S/m 2 Depot ship at Portsmouth
    First visit ever was Helsinki
    In 1958 the Home fleet spring cruise was to the W.Indies finishing off at Bermuda and then Halifax N.S Canada

Them was the days ----Home Fleet /Med fleet/Far east fleet etc.

G.

Happy new year to you all am just having my goodbye 2011 wet --12 yr old Glenfiddich --nectar
    Hello 2012 will be a Black Grouse -large with lots of ice

5. Dido 1979.

The bastards made me fly all the way to Australia to join her.

I had to stay in Sydney for 3 days before flying to Brisbane to join the the ship.

Absolute hell, I wouldn't recommend that to any naive, young, horny matelot... no, definitely not... :-D

6. HMS Cardiff, 1980, fresh from the shipyard, sea trials. BOST and then w great WIGS deployment.

7. HMS Glasgow 1997 joined her mid refit in GUZZ. Did all the sea trials and then BOST. First foreign run in Hamburg in 1998 followed by Far East Deployment in 1999

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

A bit of de ja vue here.....1st ship HMS Indefatigable, training ship.1951, so doesn't count, HMS Drake as OD them my first real ship...HMS Indefatigable..Ships Co. Why me ?? What had I done wrong ?

9. MARLBOROUGH '99. Round the buoy at DOST, then an epic Gulf deployment, including a 3 day run ashore in Falaraki.....

10. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

HMS Maidstone - March 1970

Mind you that was when she was parked in Belfast Harbour and used as a base for troops to patrol the sunny and friendly streets of the Ulster capital city! :)

11. 1969, HMS Forth, flown out to Singers ,tropical routine for the next 18 months, 3 months seatime in that I think it was ,duty watch was 1 in 6, & tot daily.

12. HMS Maidstone, Faslane 1964 Dreadnoughts Mothership. Very green Junior Seaman.

13. Joined Scylla from Collingrad, March '79 in Pompey. Had to wear No 2s so got many a weird look when I actually got on board. Following day we did a forced passage to Faslane in a Force 8. Sick as a dog all the way.

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

It was awesome, four man grots with a handy piss basin, en-suite shower and shitter. Nice window, bit like the round one on playschool but good to have a smoke out of and get some sea air. Lovely buffet style breakfast with all the fancy continental cold meats, prawns, fruit and them small sausages the europeans do when pretending to do a full English.

Three different bars and a disco. Fcuk, I love STUFT ships and Jack playing war with 3 CDO Brigade. :)

15. July 1992. HMS Fearless. First run ashore, shore patrol in Scarborough Absolutely loved that ship. Gave her a salute from the bridge roof of Illustrious when they towed her out for scrap. Wish I could have spent my entire career on her.

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Dear mother of God...............

Straight to the windies from Scarborough, if you remember the Booties on Gangplank sentry duty dressed up in gay rig, pith helmets and medals when we got to the Dominican Republic because they'd been arrested in the BVI's, the good looking one was me :) Happy days.

P.s did you go to Sevastapol?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  17. Go on w_b, what did you do to those poor old British Virgins?:-D

18. Flew out to Singers to join the Bulwark in ’67, Aden kicked off, so loaded up the green machine and set off to the rescue, Durban on the way home, then round the Med, Gib, Malta, Cyprus, South of France, Monty, Greece, all the usual suspects, then up the North sea to Germany and Norway. A real eye opener for someone who’s only previous foreign was Llandudno

19. wal

wal Badgeman

HMS CARYSFORT 67. After The Torry Canyon incident and a few trips around Europe, down the west coast of Africa around the cape through the Indian Ocean Singers, Philippines and a whole bunch of the Pacific Islands to Australia and New Zealand just after the Wiheine(sp) tragedy and back home the same way. Quite a trip for a sprog stoker's first sailing.

20. HMS Illustrious 2004. Refit in Roysth, accommodated in a local hotel for 4 months. Great times for a very randy 18 year old sprog.