1st Draft

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by effingjones, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

son is currently doing his phase 2 training at HMS Sultan as an ETME. He has rung to say that he must submit his preferences by monday for his first draft at sea. He fancy's Type 22's (don't know why) but would like to go to the West Indies (again, don't know why) and asked is there any way I can check or find out what deployments are up coming and involving what ship. I don't expect any one to tell me re security reasons but can some one point me or more importantly him in the right direction.
  2. Hei there,First draft is very exciting,tell him to just accept what he gets and then work on what he wants,ie i had a destroyer for my first draft and i finally made it down to small ships,its a different RN on small ships but the excitment of a destroyer is understandable for ones first draft ,for me it was all about sea time ,i just wanted as much time at sea as possible,
  3. Sorry but Type 22s, due to their superior capability compared to a crappy T42. are doing Gulf followed by Gulf followed by Gulf again. If he wants Windies his best bet is a T42, these are no longer viable as warships, hence just used for flying flag and what not.
  4. I tend to agree with you Norway Chris - as an humble squaddie I didn't care where I went first as long as it was somewhere !! I take it that if he goes ahead with Type 22's there is a fair chance he is going to get the Gulf ? Again, he is only 17 and where ever he goes is going to be a buzz.