1977 VS 2007

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by KATWEEZIL, Feb 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My dad sent this to me...

Many a true word is spoken in jest but.......

School 1977 vs. School 2007?

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.

2007 - Police are called, Armed Response Unit arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.

1977 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school.

1977 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.

2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.

1977 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college.

2007 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1977 - Ants die.

2007 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1977 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.

2. :thumright:

3. 1977 - A fleet to be proud of
    2007 - one that struggles with budget cuts

4. I quite like this haha
    Ive grown up in a world that takes things way too seriously :|

5. 1977 - I took my mock 'O' Levels......

2007 - I cannot remember anything I learned back then!

6. To be honest the fleet in 77 was strapped for cash, people were leaving in droves, pay was terrible, sound familiar?

7. 1977- Young lad (15-16) tries to break into a car, is caught and goes to borstal for two months. Comes back and does not do it again as he never wants to go to borstal again. happened lots in my school, the only ones it had no affect on were ejits anyway.

2007- Young lad (7-8) tries to break in car, succeeds as police will not answer neighbours call. He and his mates then drive all around town speeding and fatally knock someone over. Car found, cctv evidence and fingerprints. Do gooders ( Cherie Blairs crowd) step in and give hard luck human rights story and court not told it is their 150th offence, he walks.
    Sound familiar

8. Too right, they were leaving in droves when I left in 1974.To no more bullshit and a 300% pay increase. I had a good time in the mob and worked with mostly ex service people in civy street.Looking back the pay was Shiite, but the laughs and runs ashore unbeatable.Do it again yes :thumright:

9. I think much of the time it is the people you work with make it all bearable.

10. I left in 77. Yes pay was crap. Married quarters on rowner.Yuk. Do it again? Yes. :thumright:

11. 1977 - I joined up, fresh faced, mass of black hair on my head and green as hell.
    2007 - First anniversary of leaving the RN - hair virtually gone and about 5 stone heavier. ;-)

Lots of very fond memories with a few I'd rather forget. :)

12. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Hj_2NHji8

One tremendous thing from 1977....................!!!!!!!!!

'England 1 Scotland 2
    'Nicked yir pitch and yir goalposts to!'

Just don't mention Scotland getting f**ked 5-1 at Wembley in '75!!!!

13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Was that the match that even the Jockinese fans were chanting "Make it 6"?

14. On the mighty V 1977, and putting my notice in - 2007, being a civvy after taking early retirement from the MoD - oh calooh, calah, oh frabjous day - and they both paid me to walk - you should see my electric train set now: two post Pusser moves, happy as a pig in the old proverbial - but I still most the comradeship.not like Herr Indoors.............