1960 and now

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by norman, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As at 1 January 1960
    Principal surface fleets (over 1700 tons) 105
    This does not include Royal Yacht Britannia

Shore Establishments (incl RNAS's)
    Home 44
    Overseas 10
    85,900 ratings and 490 Captains Commodores and Admirals

================
    As at 1 January 2007
    Principal surface fleet (over 1700 tons) 27

Shore Establishments (incl RNAS's)
    Home 6
    Overseas 0 (Gibraltar Flotilla and HMS Saker too
    insignificant to include)
    31,500 ratings and 400 Captains Commodores and Admirals

Figures obtained through FOIA 2000

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, those facts tell a tale don't they?

Here we go- who'll be the first Ossifer to justify a comparible cut in Ratings in relation to hulls versus a 20% cut in senior Officers.

"Of course one would have to consider that 1960 was only 15 years after the end of WWII, blah-de-blah..."

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Norman, you've done this already.

1960 isn't Current. Besides

You missed another six Home establishments. There are 12.

4. I recall a Telegraph poster many years ago that listed all the ships in the RN in 1919 ( I think?) - it was about the size of 3 breadth flag, and was hanging on the wall of one of the pubs in Pompey, which one I can't remember unfortunately.
    The total number of the ships must have in the multiple 100s then.

:)

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

At least one isn't a fact

Been done ad nauseum.

Any reason why this thread should be any different from previous and recent threads on the same old same old? Fingers poised over the lock and gash barge icons.

Under review.

6. And most of them were hopelessly obsolete.

And BTW norman, you could have saved yourself a lot of time, energy and money with your FOI request and gone to a library and read it up out of Janes

7. Seadog - suggest this should simply be added to the other thread you locked which was called "proliferation senior officers". It seems Norman has a valid point..........HOWEVER the 2006 Navy list contains 205 active Captains, 58 Commodores and 34 Admirals a total of 199, not 400 !!

So Norman, just where the heck do you get a figure inflated by 100% of that - tell us, please do!

8. Seadog, I cannot see any point in locking a thread which appears to reasonably debate comparative personnel numbers in the RN, especially as it might seem to some you are defending the naval hierarchy. By the way, can you list the twelve establishments? I was having a problem getting that many...............I nearly started off with DRYAD!

9. "proliferation senior officers" has been got at and scuppered-- by who knows whom.

"1960 and now" will remain until someone has the influence (money) to put this in an early grave.

Get in while you can.

10. So tell us norman, what's your solution?

11. whitemouse. I think that poster was in the Ship Anson, on the Hard. That was before the vandals got to it, though, and hacked it around. The days when you walked outside to get to the Ship Leopard; but, there again, why would one?

12. To what?

13. Correct me if I’m wrong – but surely 205+58+34=297 ?????? and not the afore mentioned 199 ???

14. FOIA requests are free so long as a £600.00 research man-hour figure is not exceeded. The figures quoted are FOIA request figures--not mine.
    Janes Fighting Ships publish the same figures as mine. They have no secret source.

15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Shore establishments....?

Norton Manor
    Bickliegh
    Condor
    Chivenor
    Stonehouse
    Lympstone
    ATTURM
    Poole

Well there's more than six off the top of my head... :wink:

16. Fishmeister - I never was very good at maths - sorry. I guess that makes Norman's calculations only 33% over the top then.............

Thanks LTCOOTB.......

17. Times change and so do capabilities, a straight comparison of numbers is meaningless. Each of the current FFG's carries 8 Harpoon ASM's each of which could disable any 1960 RN DD or FG

18. So what part do the shore-based 70 Commodores and 40 Admirals play in this formidable armament. Do the 8 Harpoons require three commodores and two admirals each to press the button firing at whom?

19. Commodores were just senior Captains in the old days…

You certainly seem to have an 'issue' with the membership of the Big Gold Braid Tribe…