1953 Review some 300 ships!!!

Discussion in 'History' started by scouse, Sep 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. What a marvellous find Scouse, 6 Carriers, Whirlwinds, what were the other aircraft in the fly past?
  3. Those were the days when we ruled the waves wonder how many we could muster now. great find
  4. ......Aircraft included in flypast include, Swordfish, Dragonfly helicopters, Firefly, Seafire, Skyraiders, Sea Fury, Sea Hornet, Avenger, Gannet, Vampire, Meteor, Attacker, and Sea Hawk.
  5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I missed the whole shooting match. I was on HMS Bermuda, one of the few ships that stayed in the Med on Coronation Day. We paraded on Limassol sea front instead. That was some Fleet we had.
  6. My TASI was on the Bermuda. Think his name was Eastwood. Small world.....much smaller navy now though.
  7. Shame we won't see anything like that again. Wasn't the world a wonderful place before they invented colour?
  8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I see a lot of mothballed ships towed into position as the RN didnt have the manpower to fully man them, and vessels with hugely limited capability compared to todays fleet. Impressive, but not that impressive.
  9. You jest of course PT...1 Battleship and 6 Carriers.... To name a few!!!! What could our Lordships muster today??? Ps you wont be able to fly any FAA Aircraft, as we have none http://battleshiphmsvanguard.homestead.com/files/Anchorage.jpg
  10. Sadly the only fleet review I took place in was the withdrawal from Aden. Pretty impressive display of seapower then.
  11. Wonder what major warships, were on station in the Med and Far East, at that time????????? Just an aside ..Hms Victorious, was in refit at Pompey