Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Hello ladies and gents boys and girls

I have just passed my medical paper review, however it had come to light I should have declared something I really forgot all about as I was only 6 years old.
When I was at primary school I had a habit of falling asleep several times in a short period. Maybe 5 times in a couple of months. I’m not sure what the reasoning was by I had various tests carried out on me to no avail. I think I was just tired but I’m no medical expert.

The whole ordeal totally slipped my mind I know I should’ve asked my parents for info on my previous medical history but I didn’t and the questionnaire didn’t make me click either.

JSP950 states

Unexplained loss of consciousness or altered awareness. Candidates who have had a single episode with no definite provoking factors, who have normal cardiac and neurological examination and a normal ECG, may be graded P2 providing 12 months have elapsed since the episode and they are considered to be at low risk of recurrence112. Candidates with recurring episodes where no underlying cause can be found should normally be graded P8.

should I ring up to declare this do you think or would it be ok to take my medical history in with me and explain at the face to face medical? I have not suffered with anything similar since 2003, I am now 24. My only explanation is I shared a room with my brother, as he’s much older than me he watched tv in bed until late o clock. However as stated I’ve been absolutely fine for the past 18 years
If there is any medical experts here your advice would be greatly appreciated on whether you think I’d be a P8 candidate or hopefully a p2.
All the best
I hope you’re not going AC!

Hello ladies and gents boys and girls

I have just passed my medical paper review, however it had come to light I should have declared something I really forgot all about as I was only 6 years old.
When I was at primary school I had a habit of falling asleep several times in a short period. Maybe 5 times in a couple of months. I’m not sure what the reasoning was by I had various tests carried out on me to no avail. I think I was just tired but I’m no medical expert.

The whole ordeal totally slipped my mind I know I should’ve asked my parents for info on my previous medical history but I didn’t and the questionnaire didn’t make me click either.

JSP950 states

Unexplained loss of consciousness or altered awareness. Candidates who have had a single episode with no definite provoking factors, who have normal cardiac and neurological examination and a normal ECG, may be graded P2 providing 12 months have elapsed since the episode and they are considered to be at low risk of recurrence112. Candidates with recurring episodes where no underlying cause can be found should normally be graded P8.

should I ring up to declare this do you think or would it be ok to take my medical history in with me and explain at the face to face medical? I have not suffered with anything similar since 2003, I am now 24. My only explanation is I shared a room with my brother, as he’s much older than me he watched tv in bed until late o clock. However as stated I’ve been absolutely fine for the past 18 years
If there is any medical experts here your advice would be greatly appreciated on whether you think I’d be a P8 candidate or hopefully a p2.
All the best
I'm no expert and not qualified to offer an answer; But!! Until someone who is knowledgable on the subject.

If it were me, I'd just sit and wait. I get the feeling you're over thinking the situation and worrying too much about the 'what may happens'. It was 18 years ago and as you point out, only six. I couldn't tell tell what I was about 18 years ago!!

Relax, I'm sure if it was an issue Capita would have dragged it up. Good luck in your chosen trade.

I have been given to believe that Capita get a sight of medical records of anyone hoping to enlist therefore it would surprise me if you arrived at Raleigh and they then got scrutinised. Did the falling asleep episodes ever make it onto your records and were you ever given any treatment other than a good night's sleep?

@Waspie sorry I didn’t make myself too clear. If I’m unsuccessful with my current application for the Royal Navy (if I fail my medical) then I will apply to the RFA hoping I’ll be successful there as their medical requirements are much kinder!
apologies.
Probably me. I have a tendency to read to fast and miss things!!

@fishhead hello & thank you for your reply. Your reply makes me feel a little less apprehensive. They made it onto my medical records as I had a visit to my GP and then I went to see a paediatrician however there was no outcome as far as my father and I are aware! I can only assume it was the good nights sleep that was needed!

it’s funny. As a child you never want to go to sleep. Now I’m a little older I embrace every minute !

thanks again and enjoy your weekend Sir.
That's a good indicator you'd be a excellent Wafu!!!

@Sumo @WreckerL please could I pick your brains for some advice please. It will be very much appreciated. The more advice from different sources helps me out together a picture of what is best to do. At the moment I’m happy to sit back and raise it at the face to face medical as that way I havnt hidden anything. For my initial triage I raised the fact I’ve had surgery on more than one occasion in recent years so it’s not like I wanted to hide anything I’ve always been as open as I could be. Just genuinely forgot even though I have access to my medical records I never thought to scroll down to the year 2003!
Many thanks and enjoy the rest of your weekends
Just wait for the face to face and tell them, that's what I would do if it was me.

Just my opinion.

I won’t lie I wouldn’t say anything “ ugh yeah so when I was 6 I used to fall asleep at school” pfff not exactly hiding a serious heart condition or something actually substantial. But that’s just me, it’s totally up to you.

The sentiment on this site are tell the truth, as best you know, if it is in your medical records, it will be seen.

Last edited:

Latest Threads