1941 Query

Discussion in 'History' started by Courty, Jul 13, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Grandad (96 years old!) has asked me to find out something for him about one of his World War II experiences, and a friend of mine in the Navy suggested this forum might be able to help. On Boxing Day in 1941 he was on a troop transport (possibly a converted civilian vessel) travelling from Liverpool to Douglas (Isle of Man) - he thinks... Something happened - mine, torpedo - he doesn't know. He and his mate managed to escape (he believes a ghostly seaman led them to safety) but he never knew what happened, who of his other mates survived, or anything else about the incident. If anybody can help shed light on this I know that he would be thrilled to find out, or at least if somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks in advance.
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. Thank you Janner .... Ooops I'm adrift again. :)

SP. x
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SP - I trust that your 'adrift' doesn't mean 'late' in that, ermm cough, other context (blush)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Does he have his dates correct?

I've done a search and can't find any reference to a troopship being sunk on that day.

Do you know what regiment he was in as the regimental history should have a reference in it.
  6. I've had a quick look through the Ships Lost at Sea listing 1939-1942 (link below) and the only vessel that sunk off the Isle of Man I can find is:
    May 1 1941 - Balloon Barrage vessel SATURNUS (R, 200t, 1935), wrecked, Isle of Man. Constructive total loss.
    LINK: http://www.naval-history.net/WW2BritishLossesbyArea05.htm

I'm not sure whether your grandfather was serving in the RN or in the Army onboard a RN Vessel from reading your post. I'm a bit confused.
    Does your Grandfather still have his RN (Army) Service record (paybook)? He would have been given his pay book when he left the Royal Navy (Army). His service history, although 'potted' would be recorded within the pages of the paybook. If your grandfather no longer has his service record/paybook he can obtain a copy free of charge - but he must apply in his own name. If you apply on behalf of your grandfather, you will be charged £30. Your grandfather is entitled to a free copy of his own records.

You can contact the Veterans UK for more information and help regarding service records here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/veterans-uk

You can download the application forms for the service records here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Hope this is of help.

7. I read the OP's post as the Grandfather being Army SP.

I've probably got it wrong again though :(
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wow. Thanks all of you for this. I will ask my Grandad (George) if he has his RN paybook. He probably does, judging by his flat I don;t think that he has ever thrown anything away in his life! I will also let him know the results of your searches and see it it dislodges any new old memories. Thanks again, I will be back on here soon either way to let you know.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Haha! No, so stop your blushing. :D I've been busy working on a private research project which has caused me to be slightly adrift (not AWOL ;) ) with regards visiting the RR Forum and other forums to share a helping hand. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

More on the Ghostly Seaman. Maybe it was 'Camouflage'.
  11. There's a cue for a song if ever I heard one: