Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1941 Query

Courty

My Grandad (96 years old!) has asked me to find out something for him about one of his World War II experiences, and a friend of mine in the Navy suggested this forum might be able to help. On Boxing Day in 1941 he was on a troop transport (possibly a converted civilian vessel) travelling from Liverpool to Douglas (Isle of Man) - he thinks... Something happened - mine, torpedo - he doesn't know. He and his mate managed to escape (he believes a ghostly seaman led them to safety) but he never knew what happened, who of his other mates survived, or anything else about the incident. If anybody can help shed light on this I know that he would be thrilled to find out, or at least if somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks in advance.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Does he have his dates correct?

I've done a search and can't find any reference to a troopship being sunk on that day.

Do you know what regiment he was in as the regimental history should have a reference in it.

sweetpea

War Hero
My Grandad (96 years old!) has asked me to find out something for him about one of his World War II experiences, and a friend of mine in the Navy suggested this forum might be able to help. On Boxing Day in 1941 he was on a troop transport (possibly a converted civilian vessel) travelling from Liverpool to Douglas (Isle of Man) - he thinks... Something happened - mine, torpedo - he doesn't know. He and his mate managed to escape (he believes a ghostly seaman led them to safety) but he never knew what happened, who of his other mates survived, or anything else about the incident. If anybody can help shed light on this I know that he would be thrilled to find out, or at least if somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks in advance.

I've had a quick look through the Ships Lost at Sea listing 1939-1942 (link below) and the only vessel that sunk off the Isle of Man I can find is:
May 1 1941 - Balloon Barrage vessel SATURNUS (R, 200t, 1935), wrecked, Isle of Man. Constructive total loss.
LINK: http://www.naval-history.net/WW2BritishLossesbyArea05.htm

I'm not sure whether your grandfather was serving in the RN or in the Army onboard a RN Vessel from reading your post. I'm a bit confused.
Does your Grandfather still have his RN (Army) Service record (paybook)? He would have been given his pay book when he left the Royal Navy (Army). His service history, although 'potted' would be recorded within the pages of the paybook. If your grandfather no longer has his service record/paybook he can obtain a copy free of charge - but he must apply in his own name. If you apply on behalf of your grandfather, you will be charged £30. Your grandfather is entitled to a free copy of his own records.

You can contact the Veterans UK for more information and help regarding service records here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/veterans-uk

You can download the application forms for the service records here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Hope this is of help.

SP.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I read the OP's post as the Grandfather being Army SP.

I've probably got it wrong again though :(

Courty

Wow. Thanks all of you for this. I will ask my Grandad (George) if he has his RN paybook. He probably does, judging by his flat I don;t think that he has ever thrown anything away in his life! I will also let him know the results of your searches and see it it dislodges any new old memories. Thanks again, I will be back on here soon either way to let you know.

sweetpea

War Hero
SP - I trust that your 'adrift' doesn't mean 'late' in that, ermm cough, other context (blush)

Haha! No, so stop your blushing. :D I've been busy working on a private research project which has caused me to be slightly adrift (not AWOL ;) ) with regards visiting the RR Forum and other forums to share a helping hand. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

SP.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp - Rommel's Desert Warriors 1941-42 Competitions 12
soleil May 27th 1941 - Sinking of the Bismarck History 3
S HMS Hood, 24th May 1941 History 5
BillyNoMates 7th December - 1941 History 16
D HMS Hood (1920 - 1941) History 38
M Medical Review Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C National Service and Special Branch query History 20
D Training Management officer query Joining the Royal Navy 0
S Officer UCAS query Joining the Royal Navy 13
S Pay query. RFA 5
S SFA / GYH(T) query UPO/Careers Office 5
S Late WW2 WO titles query History 1
C Medical query (Back Pain) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Medal Query The Quarterdeck 4
N Medical query - heart condition Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Query regarding Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Twenty-one Ten SDSR Query Joining the Royal Navy 6
F Medical Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
janner Diesel S Boat Query. Submariners 17
RumGuzzler Medical query Joining the Royal Navy 18
A Help with Eyesight test? + RT query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Reserve Officer Entry- Quick Query UCAS Points Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D Query on Return of Service for LETME UPO 12
H Oral Steroids and Joining up Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P Autism - MBOS query Health & Fitness 1
T Navy Reserves Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Real-time interactive query language MoD News 0
janner Record query History 5
popeye10 family and internet query RFA 11
RedShirt Tattoo query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
V MCA query RFA 6
apipanippa Medical Query (corrective jaw surgery) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Medical Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Medical Query {Females} Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N Medical Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D MSFT Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
u04elw2 RNR timeframe Query? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
lotes92 prnc query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Just had medical - Perthes query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
j24 Medical Query: 'Disturbances in Heart Rhythm'. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Ahoy89 Medical Query *Female Issues!* Health & Fitness 3
Turbs Medical Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
Mr.Ace Medical Before Interview query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
C Medical query RMR 0
M Joining Date Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
N RFA Med Tech Qualification Query RFA 0
G Medical/Peak Flow Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
SONAR-BENDER Query re downloading v surfing. Bloody Computers 2
W Medical query - ENT/sinus Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
P Easy Jet - London bound - photo query The Gash Barge 0