1911 - 1915: "The Royal Navy's Secret Campaign Against 'Unnatural Crimes'"

Looks interesting. I can just imagine the RNs attempts at 'social engineering' but at £60.....
I know, academic books can be hair-raisingly expensive.

As it's published by Oxford University Press and written by a Professor at Brunel, I think that there's a good chance of some excerpts from the book appearing in the press when it comes out in June, so we will at least have the opportunity to see a little bit of it.

There is a small chance that it might be available via local libraries via the Inter-Library Loan system, I suppose.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
In the old sailing navy sodomites danced Pandy's hornpipe from the jewel block on the fore yard. William IV when he was at sea tried to stamp out the use of the 'detestable' word 'bugger'.

In my day Officers had to sign that they had read the annual CAFO on the subject. It included a direction, on encountering sodomites in action, e.g. during night rounds (it was on the list to look for along with fire risk and money left loafing), to separate them (meaning prevent further communication between them) but one imagined a rather nasty plooping noise. Merely being a homo was not a sacking offence (that came in later) only being caught at it. However I have no recollection of any cases in any of my ships; the Commander of the Tiger at one point was clearly as queer as a clockwork orange (in the contemporary phrase) but went on the become (appropriately perhaps) a rear admiral. He actually got married in Malta but when in our Moscow embassy was, shall we say, superseded by the presumably more active French naval attaché.

One of my contemporaries was invited by his Captain to have his resignation on his captain's desk by Colours next day and no more would be said, after a junior rate had complained of undue familiarity.

See also

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articl...r-court-martialled-for-homosexual-acts.386222

In the old sailing navy sodomites danced Pandy's hornpipe from the jewel block on the fore yard. William IV when he was at sea tried to stamp out the use of the 'detestable' word 'bugger'.

In my day Officers had to sign that they had read the annual CAFO on the subject. It included a direction, on encountering sodomites in action, e.g. during night rounds (it was on the list to look for along with fire risk and money left loafing), to separate them (meaning prevent further communication between them) but one imagined a rather nasty plooping noise. Merely being a homo was not a sacking offence (that came in later) only being caught at it. However I have no recollection of any cases in any of my ships; the Commander of the Tiger at one point was clearly as queer as a clockwork orange (in the contemporary phrase) but went on the become (appropriately perhaps) a rear admiral. He actually got married in Malta but when in our Moscow embassy was, shall we say, superseded by the presumably more active French naval attaché.

One of my contemporaries was invited by his Captain to have his resignation on his captain's desk by Colours next day and no more would be said, after a junior rate had complained of undue familiarity.

See also

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articl...r-court-martialled-for-homosexual-acts.386222
Not all sodomites are homosexuals. Not all homosexuals are sodomites.

pg55555

Lantern Swinger

About the middle of 1940 there was a CAFO which basically said we don't condone homosexual acts, but don't go around being too heavy handed in punishing any infractions. Just days after the war ended that CAFO was rescinded.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
The many AFO's avoided "homosexual offences" "homosexual acts" and referred to:-

"unnatural acts"
"unnatural vice"
" unnatural offences"
and:- "offences of immorality"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Repulse History 1
Vo_Nguyen_Giap Current Affairs 6
FlagWagger Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6