17yr old wanting to join the RN

Maiya02

Hi everyone,this is the first time I’ve ever posted on here but not quite sure who else to ask these sort of questions to as I’m in a bit of a sticky situation.
I’m a 16 year old female(turning 17 in 2 days time) and I’ve just received a phone call from the RN asking whether I was still interested in the role I applied for around 6 months ago(hydrography and meteorology) and honestly I think I really want to go for it,the only problem is I haven’t yet mentioned anything about the navy to my mum and I’m not sure how she’d react. I’m currently at sixth form and studying 4 Alevels but I’m really not enjoying it at all and have little to no motivation to revise or work for them(which I know is really bad) but I just can’t stop thinking about joining the navy and I was so excited to have heard back from them today after waiting so long!
Do any of you have any recommendations on what to do in regards to telling my mum aswell as joining at a young age;my uncle was once in the RN and advised me to wait until I’m 18 and try to join as an officer but unfortunately I don’t speak to him much so can’t ask he anymore questions!
Really sorry for writing so much but I’m so confused at the moment and not quite sure what else to do.
Thanks in advance!

Waspie

War Hero
There is quite a bit on here ref METOC, the branch you are interested in. Try entering Meteorology or such in the search box upper right of the home page. After you have digested that lot - ask away. I believe we have a couple of ex and maybe even a serving Metoc that frequent the site.
Please be advised this IS an unofficial forum and not the gospel according to the RN. You need your Forces Recruiting Office for the official word.
Crack on and enjoy the banter.

Maiya02

Hi,thanks for replying so quickly,I’ll do some research on it all then,I’ve just had a quick look and I seen your reply to someone else asking about it..you said it’s a slow moving branch,with slow promotion opportunities,would it be necessary for me to advance into the officer role or could I still achieve everything the officer would as a rating?

Last edited:

Stirlin

War Hero
If you want to go HM stick with it , officer or rating/rank the RN is an adventure you will enjoy and will set you up for life. If you are worried about what your mum thinks explain to her the positive things you have read on this site from serving /former RN.

Waspie

War Hero
Hi,thanks for replying so quickly,I’ll do some research on it all then,I’ve just had a quick look and I seen your reply to someone else asking about it..you said it’s a slow moving branch,with slow promotion opportunities,would it be necessary for me to advance into the officer role or could I still achieve everything the officer would as a ranking?
My bold!! Sorry, not qualified to comment. Maybe a Droggie or someone in the branch will be along to give a true reflection of the Met branch.
What I took in from my aircrew met training, including a Met Observers course, was it was such an imprecise science it's a wonder anyone can forecast the weather never mind the underwater weather. (That's oceanography in today's money).

Alfacharlie

War Hero
My bold!! Sorry, not qualified to comment. Maybe a Droggie or someone in the branch will be along to give a true reflection of the Met branch.
What I took in from my aircrew met training, including a Met Observers course, was it was such an imprecise science it's a wonder anyone can forecast the weather never mind the underwater weather. (That's oceanography in today's money).
Seconded. We, (AC’s), only did a week of it, and fair play it blew my brains. (Not hard).
I spent most of the week looking out the window waiting for the oggie wagon to arrive.
Good luck though.

Waspie

War Hero
Seconded. We, (AC’s), only did a week of it, and fair play it blew my brains. (Not hard).
I spent most of the week looking out the window waiting for the oggie wagon to arrive.
Good luck though.
Similar experience. The instructor would tell me to stand by the window and look at the clouds etc then ask me what the weather was going to do!
So I would give him my version of what I knew.
To be told, 'it could be - BUT!!!!!
So after many poor forecasts, I said why when invited to get it wrong again!!!!

On another note, as the dits are flowing. As the flight crewman, it was my job to either decode the weather signal and produce a synoptic weather chart! Or, use the Mufax and download a chart from Bracknell!
One day, no charts available, no signal, no download.
Skipper needed a weather brief from the flight commander. So!
After the time check, the weather. The flight commander stood there, produced a small tin, shook it, then threw the contents on the bridge deck!!! Chicken bones, the FC then wandered around the scattered bones and gave a forecast for the next four hours. Skipper was kinda impressed then admitted after the brief he had listened to radio 4 shipping forecast too!!!!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Similar experience. The instructor would tell me to stand by the window and look at the clouds etc then ask me what the weather was going to do!
So I would give him my version of what I knew.
To be told, 'it could be - BUT!!!!!
So after many poor forecasts, I said why when invited to get it wrong again!!!!

On another note, as the dits are flowing. As the flight crewman, it was my job to either decode the weather signal and produce a synoptic weather chart! Or, use the Mufax and download a chart from Bracknell!
One day, no charts available, no signal, no download.
Skipper needed a weather brief from the flight commander. So!
After the time check, the weather. The flight commander stood there, produced a small tin, shook it, then threw the contents on the bridge deck!!! Chicken bones, the FC then wandered around the scattered bones and gave a forecast for the next four hours. Skipper was kinda impressed then admitted after the brief he had listened to radio 4 shipping forecast too!!!!
Ha, my skipper was pissed off that FLOB’s forgot the cricket scores.

Maiya02

If you want to go HM stick with it , officer or rating/rank the RN is an adventure you will enjoy and will set you up for life. If you are worried about what your mum thinks explain to her the positive things you have read on this site from serving /former RN.
Thankyou,I think I’m going to speak to my mum about it tomorrow and call them back depending on how the conversation goes!

Maiya02

Oh okay,I think I’ll try and fine someone who’s in the branch just because I’m not actually quite sure what the role consists of and I want to be sure before I go ahead and speak to my mum..so I can back everything up with why it would be good for me:) but thank you!

Waspie

War Hero
Thankyou,I think I’m going to speak to my mum about it tomorrow and call them back depending on how the conversation goes!
Good luck. I know how parents can be. Went through it myself. And again when one of my sons wanted to join. So seen it from both sides.
A few plus points for your mum. You'll be joining a trade which has a fair bit of time at shore bases which means weekends off to travel home.
When embarked, you will I think, be on the larger vessels as a Met. That means more female staff as company.
Disadvantages are leaving home but with today's tech your only a phone call/Facetime away.
As I said, good luck, I hope your mum takes on board what you want.

Maiya02

Good luck though.
Did you find it interesting? What I don’t want to do is get through to the training and find it tedious and boring but by the sounds of it,it doesn’t consist on much and I think I’m looking for something a bit more upbeat,maybe even pressurising,if that makes any sense.
Also Thankyou!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Did you find it interesting? What I don’t want to do is get through to the training and find it tedious and boring but by the sounds of it,it doesn’t consist on much and I think I’m looking for something a bit more upbeat,maybe even pressurising,if that makes any sense.
Also Thankyou!
I did , in a strange way. But, tbh, we didn’t really go too far into it. I wouldn’t say it wasn’t ‘interesting’, just no my cup of tea. Ours was basic, clouds, QNH etc.

soleil

War Hero
Hi everyone,this is the first time I’ve ever posted on here but not quite sure who else to ask these sort of questions to as I’m in a bit of a sticky situation.
I’m a 16 year old female(turning 17 in 2 days time) and I’ve just received a phone call from the RN asking whether I was still interested in the role I applied for around 6 months ago(hydrography and meteorology) and honestly I think I really want to go for it,the only problem is I haven’t yet mentioned anything about the navy to my mum and I’m not sure how she’d react. I’m currently at sixth form and studying 4 Alevels but I’m really not enjoying it at all and have little to no motivation to revise or work for them(which I know is really bad) but I just can’t stop thinking about joining the navy and I was so excited to have heard back from them today after waiting so long!
Do any of you have any recommendations on what to do in regards to telling my mum aswell as joining at a young age;my uncle was once in the RN and advised me to wait until I’m 18 and try to join as an officer but unfortunately I don’t speak to him much so can’t ask he anymore questions!
Really sorry for writing so much but I’m so confused at the moment and not quite sure what else to do.
Thanks in advance!
Maiya

Something which I think that you should bear in mind is that it may be some time before you actually join the Royal Navy.

The company which deals with the early stages of recruitment on behalf of the Navy rings up people who have expressed an interest in joining on a regular basis. It doesn't actually mean that people are about to join, it means that people are being teed up to begin the application process, the RT, the Fitness Test, Medical etc.

The Navy knows approximately who it needs and when it needs them and sometimes its forecast need is many months ahead. Please bear in mind that what the external company which has rung you is doing is creating a queue of people who are then ready to start making their way through the process.

I think that there is a real possibility that your joining date will be something like mid 2021, which gives you time to complete your A Levels, something I think you should do.

By all means tell your Mum that you have enquired about the Navy, but don't give her the idea that you will be giving up school and on a ship by Easter; that would worry her, it would worry many parents. Tell her that you have enquired and that, all being well, you will start after your A Levels. Do bear in mind that your A Levels will give you a wider choice of jobs in the Navy as they will, if you are offering what is required for the role, open up certain Officer roles as well as Rating ones.

Maiya02

Maiya

Something which I think that you should bear in mind is that it may be some time before you actually join the Royal Navy.

The company which deals with the early stages of recruitment on behalf of the Navy rings up people who have expressed an interest in joining on a regular basis. It doesn't actually mean that people are about to join, it means that people are being teed up to begin the application process, the RT, the Fitness Test, Medical etc.

The Navy knows approximately who it needs and when it needs them and sometimes its forecast need is many months ahead. Please bear in mind that what the external company which has rung you is doing is creating a queue of people who are then ready to start making their way through the process.

I think that there is a real possibility that your joining date will be something like mid 2021, which gives you time to complete your A Levels, something I think you should do.

By all means tell your Mum that you have enquired about the Navy, but don't give her the idea that you will be giving up school and on a ship by Easter; that would worry her, it would worry many parents. Tell her that you have enquired and that, all being well, you will start after your A Levels. Do bear in mind that your A Levels will give you a wider choice of jobs in the Navy as they will, if you are offering what is required for the role, open up certain Officer roles as well as Rating ones.
Yeah,that actually makes a lot of sense,I probably just got a bit too over excited and carried away. Say I did start the process,would I still be able to complete the fitness and medical tests and other things in between aswell as completing my alevels? I really would like to finish and get them because I know how valued they are and how many more opportunities they give you but I'm finding it really difficult to find the motivation for them at the moment but I suppose it’s nothing I couldn’t work on! Also,what is the fitness test like? I’m in pretty good shape at the moment but not sure how intense it would be and how much work I’d have to do on myself in the meantime.
But yes like you said I think I should try and remain a little more realistic when telling my mum!
You also mentioned how the company that ring people are getting ready to put people through the process,so does that mean if I ring them back and it’s not too late I’d be one of the people that would be able to start the process and joining whenever needed? And when would the fitness and medical training start after the initial phone call?
Thanks so much,that helped me think about things in a much more realistic way! And sorry for so many questions.

Maiya02

Good luck. I know how parents can be. Went through it myself. And again when one of my sons wanted to join. So seen it from both sides.
A few plus points for your mum. You'll be joining a trade which has a fair bit of time at shore bases which means weekends off to travel home.
When embarked, you will I think, be on the larger vessels as a Met. That means more female staff as company.
Disadvantages are leaving home but with today's tech your only a phone call/Facetime away.
As I said, good luck, I hope your mum takes on board what you want.
Thanks so much! I’ve made a pros and cons list(which is mainly pros,if I’m honest) that I’m going to try and pitch to my mum,so I’ll check those are on there! :)
Thanks again.

Sumo

War Hero
Yeah,that actually makes a lot of sense,I probably just got a bit too over excited and carried away. Say I did start the process,would I still be able to complete the fitness and medical tests and other things in between aswell as completing my alevels? I really would like to finish and get them because I know how valued they are and how many more opportunities they give you but I'm finding it really difficult to find the motivation for them at the moment but I suppose it’s nothing I couldn’t work on! Also,what is the fitness test like? I’m in pretty good shape at the moment but not sure how intense it would be and how much work I’d have to do on myself in the meantime.
But yes like you said I think I should try and remain a little more realistic when telling my mum!
You also mentioned how the company that ring people are getting ready to put people through the process,so does that mean if I ring them back and it’s not too late I’d be one of the people that would be able to start the process and joining whenever needed? And when would the fitness and medical training start after the initial phone call?
Thanks so much,that helped me think about things in a much more realistic way! And sorry for so many questions.
Yes you should have time to complete your A level, even if you have hold off joining to take exams, the Navy will see it as a strength that you are committed to completing your A's.
Good luck
@Maiya02
Foot note: try to find an interest in your current studies and do your best, focusing on your future career in the RN. You could also call the recruiter for a chat re options an career paths re age and possible A level grades, that may help you to focus.
The training and fitness is down to you, only hard work will deliver the results required.

Last edited:

fishhead

War Hero
@Maiya02 Don't forget you can take Mum with you to talk to the recruiters before any commitments are made. It may help put her mind at rest as to what the future may hold while you're in the RN
Good Luck

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
As others have said, for heaven's sake complete your A-levels.

Everyone gets a bit down when they are on a long academic slog like you are on just now, but once you've got them in your back pocket they are yours for keeps. Imagine how jarred off you will be with yourself if, in 5-10 years' time, you are missing out on employment / study opportunities because you chinned off your A-levels halfway through.

Don't foul up your long-term prospects just to scratch a short term itch of wanting to join up. Get everything out of school that you can whilst you are there, it's the best time you'll have to do it, trust me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Government bans old coach, bus and lorry tyres from roads in new measures to improve road safety MoD News 0
D Help with old WW1 photo History 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for London man who kidnapped and sexually abused eight-year-old boy MoD News 0
U The Old and Bold are revolting Diamond Lil's 12
MoD_RSS Manchester motorway rises up to revitalise 50-year-old bridge MoD News 0
soleil FB: RN - Liverpool: 18-year-old Sailor Rhys Gets A Birthday Surprise From His Family On Board HMS Prince Of Wales The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS The VMD’s old GSI email address will no longer work from 1 April MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Old Hall School: warning notice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mum and 5 year old rescued from quick sand at Blue Anchor Beach, Somerset MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Man who sexually assaulted 5 year old jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unique 300 year old scientific drawings at risk of leaving the UK MoD News 0
K Another 17 year old wanting to join the Navy Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS HOW A CENTURY OLD SPOON LED TO THE MILITARY BURIAL OF AN ESSEX SOLDIER WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS VMD email address: the old gsi address will not work from 1 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Conor Burns celebrates 2,000 year old Tunisian trade links MoD News 0
Alfacharlie Was the old rum ration days better? Diamond Lil's 4
slim Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR? Diamond Lil's 59
Winny Old RN Vids The Quarterdeck 10
MoD_RSS Major demolition milestone at HS2’s Old Oak Common site as Great Western sheds cleared MoD News 0
B OLD age recruit! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Competition will breathe new life into an old Pacer train MoD News 0
Coggie Really old photos History 1
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 completes biggest demolition challenge yet at site of new Old Oak Common tunnel crossover box MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Consulting on options to ban old tyres MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government to consult on ban on 10-year-old tyres to boost road safety MoD News 0
M Waterproofing old jacket The Gash Barge 20
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 confirms London Euston and Old Oak Common construction teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 reveals Old Oak Common station designs as work ramps up on west London super-hub MoD News 0
R 16 Year Old Wanting To Join RN But Parents Are Apprehensive. HELP! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
M Ganges old boys 1963 History 0
themuddyduck Residency Waiver - Old Passports Joining the Royal Navy 4
R Old RM Films The Corps 3
MoD_RSS News story: Commercial vehicle operators using old tyres to face investigations MoD News 0
P What is this old Sub History 37
janner Old Submarine films Submariners 6
MoD_RSS News story: The Borders and Immigration Inspectorate is 10 years old MoD News 0
J Joining as an officer at 26 (soon 27) years old Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
vauxhall Another happy 70 year old Finance & Pensions 0
fishhead Old dog,old tricks Land Ops 0
Sumo Bit of old history from a brave man History 2
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1
D Deserting Old and Bold--Why? The Gash Barge 163
Sumo Old salt to the end History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Seven-year-old’s invention brought to life by Dstl scientists MoD News 0
janner Old recruitment video Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
BillyNoMates Attention old rockers. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
MoD_RSS Press release: 100 year old retired scientist makes an emotional return to Porton Down MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Wembley and Old Trafford stage new season CT Awareness events MoD News 0
B Old Term for Replenishment at Sea History 11