Greetings

I wish to apply for the Royal Navy as an Engineering Technician in a few months when I turn 15 years and 9 months. My question is after HMS Sultan will I be deployed straight away or work in a naval base , and let's say I'm deployed when I return will I be working on land or will I have nothing to do till my next deployment

Kind regards

Jamie

Whether you get straight to sea depends on platforms available, as an ET (you don't say whether AE or ME) when you get back from sea depends on which branch.

As an ET (ME) you'll be doing all the maintenance and defect repairs to get the ship/submarine ready for the next deployment. When your on a ship/submarine you stay on the ship/submarine for the duration of your draft which would probably be up to 3 years.

As an AET you'll be maintaining/repairing the aircraft.

As an ME/MESM You get drafted from Sultan to your first ship/submarine for four years, unless you go fast track then you’re back within a year. If taking god favorite route you’ll need to go to sea to get your dolphins anyway, if going skimmer it’s just purely down to Ships rotation.

As an AET you get drafted from Sultan to an airstation (yovilton/couldrose) to do your part 2

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
As an ME/MESM You get drafted from Sultan to your first ship/submarine for four years, unless you go fast track then you’re back within a year. If taking god favorite route you’ll need to go to sea to get your dolphins anyway, if going skimmer it’s just purely down to Ships rotation.

As an AET you get drafted from Sultan to an airstation (yovilton/couldrose) to do your part 2
Straight from Sultan to a Boat do you not have SMQ to do first.

Greetings

I wish to apply for the Royal Navy as an Engineering Technician in a few months when I turn 15 years and 9 months. My question is after HMS Sultan will I be deployed straight away or work in a naval base , and let's say I'm deployed when I return will I be working on land or will I have nothing to do till my next deployment

Kind regards

Jamie
Ermm, regarding your use of term 'deploy/deployment', young Sir.

It is usually the case in the RN that individuals are moved around by drafts, appointments, or assignments; whereas vessels and units are tasked to their many and varied deployments eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_Royal_Navy_deployments#Towed_Array_Patrol_Ship

Beware - Adding Jackspeak to other unfamiliar terms can often be become confusing, sometimes even dangerous - as you'll find out when your first pier-head jump assignation, fixed up by that gorgeous Jenny Scribbler, turns out to be a little less romantic than it first seemed...