16 Boats

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by BillyNoMates, Dec 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...alongside in the U.S.A.
    Part of the Nuclear Ships and
    Submarines "re-cycling program"

[​IMG]

2. Do you think they rent them out?

3. There's enough hardware loafing on them
    two berths to start a healthy argument.
    (Private Submarine fleet for hire - reasonable terms)
    (No Callout Charge - Somalian Pirates a speciality)

(Same thread - different subject 'cos I can't be arsed to start another)

Spent my entire career chasin' the Red Scourge,
    and then they offer to help in the disposal of the very
    boats I sat inside for oh-so-long, playing hide and seek
    with the fother-muckers.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080616/110707227.html

"Who ya gonna call?? ---------- BOAT BUSTERS!"
    [​IMG]

4. This is what you are looking at:
    An aerial view of a section of the Ship Intermediate Maintenance Facility at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard on 17 May 1993. One submarine tender and 16 decommissioned nuclear-powered submarines are shown including the Seawolf (SSN-575); six George Washington, and Lafayette class SSBN's (with their missile sections cut out) plus several Skate, Skipjack, Permit and Sturgeon class SSN's. All are awaiting scrapping.
    Bottom row, from left to right Thomas A. Edison (SSBN-610), Skipjack (SS-585), Snook (SSN-592), Henry Clay (SSBN-625), Lapon (SSN-661), Dace (SSN-607), Skate (SSN-578), Swordfish (SSN-579), Sargo (SSN-583) , Seadragon (SSN-584).
    Across the pier are Thomas Jefferson (SSBN-618), and not in view, Patrick Henry (SSBN-599), George Washington (SSBN-598),Barb (SSN-596) & Sea Devil (SSN-664).

5. Devonports contribution to the "Dead Boat Mountain"

[​IMG]

6. The yacht against the wall looks a serious richman's toy!

7. That yachts the former Blue Riband holder, Destriero. There was talk of refitting her but i presume that fizzled out..

Edit: I'll wind me neck in, she never won the Blue Riband as she was classed as private yacht and not commercial passenger ship. Although if she was, she would have..

8. We're not that far behind them really, particularly considering the relative sizes of SUBFLOTS. The photo does not show it, but we already have 7 de-commissioned SSNs in Devonport's 3 basin

9. Plus another 7 in Rosyth... (check Google Earth!)