14-year-old Sea Cadet has died after falling overboard.

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by RO2weiler, May 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sad news, and so young

2. Totally agree, so sad.

X

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

4. My thoughts are with his Family, Friends and fellow cadets

RIP Lad

5. Really sad,thoughts with his family RIP

6. RIP for a future left unfulfilled... :cry:

7. RIP young un.

Hope this sad event doesnt affect the great work done by the SCC

8. Thats a sobering read. Having been on Royalist twice and done many of the things the cadet did, I can picture the scene exactly. What an awful thing to happen.

9. Would just like to add that the MSSC has taken the appropriate action as recommended to employ qualified safety officers onboard, taking over supervision jobs that would usually be taken up by unit staff.

I know this as I was supposed to be on T.S. Royalist in August but my place was cancelled due to the review.

In my opinion - great choice. Safety is the most important thing when working with kids.

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

From Soleil's 'sue the bastards' link

No Sir. I feel that the MAIB investigation, findings and recommendations and the willingness of the grown ups involved in training Sea Cadets to take the report on board will do more to improve safety than legal action against a charity.

11. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Littlehampton Gazette Link:

<<...The report* in March said that Jonathan fell after unclipping his harness as he and other cadets were stowing the sails while the vessel was at anchor in Stokes Bay. This was contrary to his training and onboard procedures for work at that position.

The boy's father, Andy Martin, said: "Jonathan loved being a Sea Cadet but we feel he was let down by a lack of safety precautions which led to this tragedy. We hope taking legal action will raise awareness of the need for health and safety guidelines for young people taking part in activities on vessels to be improved.....">>

I studied the full *Marine Accident Investigation Branch Report No 2/2011 at length when it was published in March and formed the personal opinion that this accident could have been avoided if the Cadet had followed instructions and possibly if had been a little more closely supervised. It was recorded that he had unclipped himself previously whilst aloft (unobserved by the staff on deck) and had got away with it: sadly, at Stokes Bay he did not.

I'm sure that the Family will have taken legal advice re- the 'lack of safety precautions' but, providing that the MAIB's Report's recommendations have now all been fully implemented, I cannot really see what they hope to gain.

Whatever legal action is taken, his tragic accident will stand as an object lesson to all of those who go down to the sea in such ships.

Bob

12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The boy took a risk that cost him his life. He is now the poster boy for raising

• Like Like x 1
  13. Despite the tragic consequences and the culpability of the boy's actions, the SCC are going to have to defend this case at a very high financial cost. So following the suspension of school trips on safety grounds, it probably will now follow that Cadets of all persuasions will have to keep feet firmly on the ground. I can only think that the parents have been advised, I think badly, by a member of the legal profession who will benefit greatly.

14. sadly thsi will cost the SCC a pretty penny.

pennies that could go towards the improvements that are needed, and that the parents are trying to highlight.

as a staff member of the corps, our belts are being tightened enough as it is.