12 months notice

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by off_les_aura, Feb 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hypothetical divisional question.

Someone submits 12 months notice but he/she gets the job offer of a lifetime which starts in, say, 4 months time and is allowed to leave 8 months early to take up the new job. I've seen this happen many times.

But - is that same person entitled to guaranteed employment for 12 months after submission of notice? What would happen, for instance, if their job offer fell through? Would he/she have to leave before the 12 months has expired or are they entitled by law to a full 12 months to work their notice?

Any thoughts?
  2. Why don't you ask your friendly Career Manager!
  3. My understanding of a Notice Period is this is a maximum time period, this time period can be shorter by mutal consent, hence if someone was to get a job and needed to start earlier than the TX date after submitting notice then with their CO's approval (ie they can be spared) then they could leave earlier. Now if their job offer falls through and they need to see out the remainder of there 12 months notice period then I assume that their CO would be the person to ask. He/she is after all the person who granted there request to leave early.
  4. It's not the CO's call; he is merely the employing officer and not the employer!