Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10k tips

DWH91

Midshipman
Doing my first 10k in a couple of weeks any tips I've never ran with lots of people,I'm doing the run with a few guys from work so the banter had been flowing as to who will get the quickest time and I need all the help I can get.

tommo

War Hero
First of all good luck with your first 10K. Go out with the mind to enjoy it, as it's your first it will be a PB regardless.

There is two ways you could attack it, you could run a positive split where you first 5K is fast than the second 5k, ie you go balls out from the start.

Or you could negative split it by running a slower first 5k than the second 5k. Start at a comfortable pace and slowly build up the pace as you go. So as you get to the half way mark you really start to drop a gear and increase. It's how I prefer to run my races. It's also great over taken all those that went off way to fast, and it leaves you with some in the tank for a great sprint finish.

That's based on that you've trained for the 10K, if you are just going out to finish it, ignore the above and just go out enjoy the miles.

Which 10K is it?

DWH91

Midshipman
Cheers for the tips on split running it never thought of it like that no I'm young out to compete not to just complete it's the swindon 10k

tommo

War Hero
Try not to get caught up in the atmosphere too much if you're out to compete. Many people go off way tooo fast as they are sucked up by the faster runners. It's easy to do, go out at the pace you want, control it that way.

tommo

War Hero
We do it, until we learn to control it. Although you don't realise it until you realise your energy has been zapped. Main thing is though go out to enjoy it regardless.

I have finally learnt to switch off and think of totally random things, from planning RNA events to counting Windows on buildings, giving each one a price and working out the total, makes the time fly and you forget about the pain :)

Last edited:

hughesy

Lantern Swinger
Before I run I accept that there are going to be times when it's going to be
Ruff!! and that its them times which if you stick it out make you a better runner !!! But each to there own

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FunkyJunky £10k resettlement grant/leaving UPO 6
S Vesuvius 10K Charity 0
T Help for Heroes - my first 10k Charity 0
J Lincoln 10K - 03/04/2011 Health & Fitness 0
X.R.D 10k race in aid of Royal Marines Benevolent Fund Charity 184
J Lincoln 10k - 21/03/10 Sports and Adventure Training 4
Goatman_Blue D'ye HEAR there? British 10K London 12 July 09 Sports and Adventure Training 0
Z Castle Howard 10k for Help for Heroes Charity 12
alfred_the_great £10k for Charity - all hands turn to! Current Affairs 7
W Swansea Bay 10k in aid of SSAFA Charity 1
Wiggy_RN Naval Procurement: Sea Harrier sold on Ebay for £10k Current Affairs 7
W wompers 10k run page Charity 14
P london 10k Charity 2
slim HEROIN DEALER MUST PAY BACK £10K PROFITS The Quarterdeck 11
Goatman_Blue Calling London - British 10K ? RMR 3
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter to councils on the re-opening of public toilets and tips MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coal Authority attends safety meeting about coal tips in Wales MoD News 1
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Santa’s top safety tips MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC tips on avoiding Self Assessment tax scams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Waves and wind safety - top 5 tips MoD News 0
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Japanese comedian’s top tips for fans travelling to the Rugby World Cup MoD News 0
S Psychometric test tips/tools? Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Travel tips and advice if you're heading to a music festival in Portugal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 7 tips for motorists to stay safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh company shares top tips for exporting in new podcast series MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Colliery tips in South Wales to be inspected over next 5 years MoD News 0
F PRNC tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
N Got my entry date- any tips or advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Sugar_Rush Interview- Advice and Tips very welcome Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
vauxhall Tips and Facts Finance & Pensions 0
Impact Training tips and tricks? Joining the Royal Navy 7
T5igger Interview tips for MA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C Any last tips? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
P PJFT Tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
A I'm back from my PRNC - Here's a few tips for anyone yet to do it! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
ScottG95 HMS Raleigh Phase 2 tips? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S PRNC TIPS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
CalCi Tips on training for the 2.4km run Health & Fitness 139
taffscrivs Top Tips. Diamond Lil's 360
T Kit/equipment tips and tricks for when in the field Travel & The Great Outdoors 49
A Recruitment test help!!! And tips! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
DemobJob Top 10 Tips for ex-military CVs The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S Fitness Tips for Newbies Diamond Lil's 3
R i have my rt tuesday.. any tips are very welcome!! Diamond Lil's 10
S Any tips for Peda selection? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16