10 weeks basic training??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mat1baker1, Feb 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all

Is it true that basic training will now be 10 weeks long when they open Raleigh up again? and if so what will you be doing in the 10th week?

Thanks in advance

:eek:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yes

Grit apparently. (Warlike stuff including a high-ropes eklement , field exercise etc.) It's not a "bolt-on" week, but the course depth & content will be extented to ten weeks Initial Naval Training.

3. Cheers Ninja!!

4. Sounds good. Surely extra time in the training process can only be a good thing. Result in a more balanced, well prepared recruit type person

5. There is a wholesale change in how initial naval training is to be given to both rating and officers. The new entries in May 2011 of ratings will trial the new course, with the idea that by September both officers and rating will do their initial 10 weeks at raleigh. We are still awaiting the details on the new course, but I assure you that either myself or Ninja will post the details when we have them. As NS hinted the changes will be to bring in more military style training including high ropes, navigation and military field skills. This should hopefully prepare the new sailors for life at sea and ashore, wherever it takes them!!

Should be a change for the better in the long-run.

SM

6. yer i agree it is a good thing as it prepares you more and making sure we are well trained and still the best trained navy in the world!!

7. The new 10 week INT course is in the process of being firmed up as I post this. We now have a fairly solid idea of what the programme is going to be with all major dates and evolutions pretty much sorted as to where they will be in the 10 weeks. Supermario is completely correct in that the new course will contain more fieldcraft skills and navigation although high ropes is already a part of the current 9 week course. All 3 of the major evolutions (Pier Cellars, Dartmoor and the final exercise) are undergoing a fairly comprehensive re-write in order to ensure that the elements of Core Maritime Skills are incorporated into them. The course is going to be completely different than the 9 week course that is currently delivered and looks to be that the first 5 weeks will be a militarisation phase and the second 5 weeks will be a marinisation phase. Should be fun!!!

8. I'm old and daft and did my basic yonks ago but wasn't it then six weeks? It seemed ample at the time, more than enough thank you.

9. It was definately 6 weeks in 83! I think the dabbers may have stay a while longer to do some 'upperdeck technician' shite though!!

10. That sounds well interesting! (& logical too) :D

11. What next? An ADSC style selection weekend? hehe just kidding. That would make a fair few of the applicants I know cry a lil.

Seriously though, the changes look pretty interesting

12. It was enough at six weeks, more than enough before the horror of months at Mercury - No I jest as Mercury was the kind of place that suited me entirely.
    Wild, miles from the centre of nowhere and great for the cross country running I was obsessed with at the time.

13. Great memories, I was present on divisions there, the day the Ensign was lowered for the final time in 1993.

14. That was considered as a week 0 type of option but seems to have gone by the wayside for now, most probably due to the aspiration to make RNAC/RPC mandatory.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Already moves are afoot with regard a mandatory pre-entry course, although I must confess I didn't have chance to read the detail today. I'm guessing this will be at the RNAC locations where the RPC takes place and will involve something akin to what used to be termed New Entry week at Raleigh fot those of us that joined many moons ago.

I did the 6 week phase one course at Raleigh in 1981 (my 30th Nautical Birthday on the 16th of this month) and thought it fairly robust at the time...however spin forward to 1982 and the Falklands & we were woefully ill-prepared, equipped or trained for the battle, move forward to 1989 & the Deal Bombing & the RN was completely ill-equipped or trained to provide fully trained & armed security. Move even scarily closer to more recent times & the RN was again humiliated by an Iranian tailor whom even the CPO's Mess wouldn't patronise. (Not to mention the hostage thingy).

When taken in context the RN has finally accepted that our more "junior" service counterparts are capable of teaching us a thing or two about how we should conduct our military training. Thank gawd - it was getting embarassing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  16. Wouldn't it be better to make the RNAC compulsory and use that as a Raleigh selection week?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Moves are afoot as already stated, doubtless more specific detail will follow when one or other of us has a shufty at the latest instruction on the subject (I am aware of it, but haven't read it yet).

18. Rem3pt beat me too it. Have RNAC as not only an enjoyable and informative visit to the working RN establishment......but also have them do their Fitness test run there too.

19. Well they already do run the fitness tests in theory. You are still urged to meet the RNFT time. BUT, im talking about people who show up to the RNAC and don't put the effort in at all. Like a girl who turned up to mine complaining of being ill all the time just to skip the phys. Surely it would be better to slow those people down on the waiting list, and vice versa speed up the applicants who pass everything with great enthusiasm.

20. If the first 10 weeks of officer training are conducted at Raleigh then will BRNC not lose much of its already diminishing value? Is this, for instance, the beginning of the end for Dartmouth-based officer training?