Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.5 MILE HELP NEEDED

cornwall

Midshipman
Hi Everyone

havent posted on here for a while but realy need all the advice i can get when i did my pjft i ran it 11.56 now since then i have been working to the fitness book i was given and achieved 11.28 last friday at my local gym on a treadmill now i know that that time is good enough for a pass given that i am 26 but i realy whant to acheive better times under the 11mins would be nice so if any one has any tips i would be realy greatfull i am not realy a fantastic runner as you can see by these times but longer distance running i dont find to much of a problem ie 5k plus but seem to realy strugle when it comes to timed 1.5 mile runs [i do smoke and i know i need to quit] any advice would be great

tommo

War Hero
Hello fella.

Through my own experience of when I trained myself for the marathon, I found the things that helped improve my pace was doing fartlek training. i.e when I was out running if I came across a stretch of road with lamposts I'd use them to do intervals. Jog from the first lampost to the second then sprint from next lampost the following and repeat that set over and over until almost dying. Also put in the miles I found as I increased the distance I was running the quicker my pace went.

When I started I was just about able to do 1.5 miles in 15 mins when I passed my fitness test (not the pjft) in April on base I did it in 9 min 42 I'm 32 years old.

So it goes to prove it can be done

cornwall

Midshipman
Hi Tommo

Thanks for the advice will definitely be trying that also do you think i should get out running more than the book says as it is only twice a week or do any other sort of training to help as just whant to be at my best for when i go to raleigh on the 31st october cheers

tommo

War Hero
The more you run, the more you will improve. But the advice I was given and came in very helpful from a someone on here was to listen to your body. I was running 6 days a week when I was training for the marathon. However 3 or 4 days will help improve your fitness, stamina, endurance and pace. You could do one day where you jog first 1.5 miles then run 1.5 miles and finish with 1.5 miles jog.

There are some good routes around Truro and some good hills to which will help

tin_tin

Badgeman
I've really struggled with stamina because running is not something I've ever done. But I've found you should be able to get away with running 2-4 times a week as long as you're pushing yourself further each time. As Tommo said interval training and also hill sprints are good for rapid improvement, make sure you're not letting yourself fully recover between each sprints. Don't forget that the 1.5 isn't the only measure of fitness though. Keep on top of your press ups and sit ups too.

cornwall

Midshipman
thanks guys for all the advice i will definitely be upping the amount im running and also include plenty of hills as ive not done very much of that i did bin running on treadmills straight after my pjft back in october last year and have been running on the roads since so last friday on a treadmill was the first time for a long time and timeing myself over 1.5miles as have mainly been concentrateing on more distance running and is now proberly showing in my shorter distances i mbetter crack on with this as october is not that far away

daffy1

War Hero
Maybe stupid to some, but help me loads is music. Get the tunes banging, i find Rocky helps all the time in the gym or running. Also remember rest is just as important as training.

brin894

Badgeman
I have to agree with Tommo, if you mix up your training your body will react in a more positive manner.
I run 3 times a week 1 road session of 6 or 7 miles (this helps with endurance), 1 interval session of 45 mins (this helps with reducing recovery time and increasing overall speed) and 1 hill session of 45 mins (this just knackers you out :D ).
I am 32 and can run the 1.5 mile in 8.40 so it definitley works for me.
Hope this helps.

burnsy85

Lantern Swinger
exactly what tommo said do interviels of joging then sprinting till you cant no moore, should shed 30 secs to a min of your time

Join your local running club - they will have a qualified coach (or twelve as mine does!), you get to do stuff with other people (so a) you don't get bored and b) you have encouragement for (nearly) every second of your run), plus it means you'll discover new parts of your town/city that you never know existed. And all for about £25 a year. What's not to like?

cornwall

Midshipman
hi everyone well tryed the hill sprints last night after my usual pressups/sit ups session and once i could breathe again after it i felt absaloutely battered done the hill sprints for around 30mins till i could do no more and definitely worked alot harder than previous sessions i have also made contact with my local running club so will see how that goes aswell so thankyou very much to everyone with your help and suggestions

Graf

Lantern Swinger
The more of these mile n half threads I read, the more I get convinced I must be doing a completely different one to everyone else. All the threads seem to make out that the mile n half is something difficult, it's 10 minutes of running once a year, hardly the hardest of things to do.

Or am I just turning into a cynical twat in my old age

aled_bryn

Badgeman
Graf said:
The more of these mile n half threads I read, the more I get convinced I must be doing a completely different one to everyone else. All the threads seem to make out that the mile n half is something difficult, it's 10 minutes of running once a year, hardly the hardest of things to do.

Or am I just turning into a cynical twat in my old age

ditto,

i did my pjft today, only fitness work i do is thai boxing and completed the run in 10.16. even if people are out of shape surely they should go all out on the day of the test to pass then keep on with training prior to joining

94seldCO

Badgeman
hey
to help my running and general fitness i used the royal marines training tool even though im a girl i kept the 50 sit up per circuit slightly decreased the press ups and other typical circuit exercises etc and missed out the pull ups and more 'marine' style exercises the running i have sort of kept the same i have a 'short run' 2 1/2 ish miles i think and a long run which is 4miles. i then do my 1.5 every 3 weeks. its helped me loads and increased my fitness. it may help :)
heres the link
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmarines/training-tool.html
:D

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Zoidberg said:
Top tip for Raleigh: You now get 3 attempts before you're discharged.
FFS, 3 tries for something that should have been passed first go!
I'd have thought that if young thrusters wish to pursue a long and fruitful career in the RN they would use the time between first pushing open the AFCO door and actually turning to at Raleigh to actually prepare themselves for this 'arduous' test!
Failure obviously hints at lack of commitment, show 'em the door, Main Gate at the rush!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: UK and US look to robotics help for ‘last mile’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Humandrive: vehicle completes 230 mile, self-navigated drive across the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Walkers to enjoy new 21-mile coastal path on Walney Island MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Walkers to enjoy new 10 mile coastal path in Tees Valley MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going the extra historical mile MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Walkers to enjoy new 16-mile public path in Lincolnshire MoD News 0
Antonio555 PRNC 1.5 Mile Run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Press release: Autonomy on the frontline: Last Mile challenge winners announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Autonomous last mile resupply network event - information pack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Accelerator webinar: autonomous last mile resupply MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Accelerator innovation network event: autonomous last mile resupply MoD News 0
digger84 Two half marathons and 120 mile cycle to London, In two days. Charity 2
S 100 Mile Bike Ride Charity 9
tommo My 100 mile training blogs Health & Fitness 22
R Improving 1.5 mile run time Health & Fitness 11
B Raleigh mile and a half times and days? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS HMS York returns from 27,000-mile deployment Current Affairs 1
B A Renault Laguna, a 20 mile sea crossing and World Record Diamond Lil's 3
J pre entry mile and half on treadmil? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S 50 mile walk for Combat Stress Charity 0
G mile and a half!!! Health & Fitness 12
O What's your best 1.5 mile time? Health & Fitness 27
Don87 Improving 1.5 Mile Run Health & Fitness 18
Benny687 3 mile time! Health & Fitness 5
creddly Your average 1.5 mile (2.4km) time. (Topic for everyone) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 229
slim SKYDIVER'S 2-MILE PLUNGE ESCAPE IS JOY FOR GIRLFRIEND The Quarterdeck 12
MoD_RSS Unique partnership will help better prepare prisoners for release MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Winners announced of £7.6 million fund to help give babies the best start in life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secure video calls help all prisoners maintain essential family ties during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Planning Inspectorate is improving the application process for Nationally Significant Infrastructure and Common Land Projects. Help us get things MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Domestic abuse: open letter to employers on how to help workers find the right support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self Assessment customers use online tax payment plans to help spread the cost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Record number of Armed Forces personnel help with Covid response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government proposals to help more people in problem debt MoD News 0
N Help with dads naval service. History 1
MoD_RSS £213 million UK Government funding to help UK scientists MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding for innovative space tech to help solve problems on Earth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over £200 million boost to upgrade UK labs to help scientists tackle COVID-19 and cut emissions MoD News 0
P Haven’t been paid... please help UPO 6
B WW2 Uniform Id help required History 17
MoD_RSS Up to 30,000 workers to help reap 2021 harvest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Up to 30,000 workers to help reap 2021 harvest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New trade barriers service launched to help British businesses export internationally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Savers receive Help to Save bonus payment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Apprentices help to future-proof Magnox MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New advice to help savers make the most of their pensions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA releases latest scam images to help keep motorists safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra help for rough sleepers with drug and alcohol dependency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New partnership programme to help financial institutions digitise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas travel measures to help passengers plan their journey and travel safely MoD News 0