Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘ I Wouldn't Want to Press the Nuclear Button for Boris Johnson’

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
Reads to me like someone who doesn’t like the current government writing an article attacking them in a halfway gentle way, using a previous position of authority he held as a description of why he has reservations about the government.

I know an officer who got to command a Ballistic Missile submarine is someone who should command respect but I don’t know why getting into that position should make his point of view any more relevant to me than anyone else’s.

It’s kind of like when celebrities try to tell me which way to vote and what I should think. I just think “who the hell are you and why should I care what you think?” If any one of my previous COs came up with this junk I wouldn’t give it consideration just because they commanded a ship. I’d read it but the fact they commanded a ship wouldn’t make it true or not. It’s just their POV.

Strikes me as being a bit too sad that a former bomber CO turned academic has to tout adverts for a periodical within his "Shan't be playing this game no more so there" article at Post #1

<<...Each commanding officer, before they take command, must therefore be satisfied that they have confidence and faith in the political control of nuclear weapons to launch them based solely on that order; that the orders they will follow are not subject to any interests other than extreme national interest.

SUBSCRIBE TO BYLINE TIMES FOR AS LITTLE AS £29 A YEAR

They have to make that judgement, probably the most serious any officer in any of the UK’s services ever has to make, in advance. It is too late to leave the decision until the moment the order arrives. Every commanding officer assumes that burden in the knowledge of the possible consequences. Each one takes it for different reasons. Not one takes it lightly...>>

Just imagine the CND site outside CSB - The OiC Peace Campers warmly welcoming him with open, ermm...

...legs?

About the Author - from linked in

Andy Corbett Teaching Fellow at Kings College London

I am a Teaching Fellow in International Relations and Security with considerable experience of international security policy formulation and fully developed post-graduate research, teaching and mentoring skills. My operational skills and strategic expertise were developed during a career in submarines, concentrating on delivery of operational programmes and training, and in the international policy arena, focusing on initiation and delivery of international strategic change programmes against fixed deadlines and performance criteria. I developed my research skills throughout that career, culminating in a part-time PHD completed whilst in Naval service.

My research interests focus on the role of hard power in the 21st century:
• How does this relate to the norms-based environment in which we would like to think we live and how is it exploited by modern liberal democratic states and their international structures?
• If deterrence is the ultimate expression of hard power, how is it exploited as a tool in the multi-polar environment of the 21st Century?

I am passionate about the transformative effect of education, and the importance of genuinely informed public debate on issues key to the health of our democratic societies. I look to contribute to the education of the next generation of decision-makers and to the quality of that debate in areas in which I may be able to offer some expertise.

For a little more background See also
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uk-d...andy-corbett?trk=portfolio_article-card_title

and https://bylinetimes.com/2020/07/07/...al-navy-trident-submarine-commander-assesses/

then

(As Boris said to Dom - Ye Gods, academia has turned another of those forces pensioners into a pinko! )

Biker Buster

Lantern Swinger
I knew him. His own perception of self worth was far greater than his ability to deliver.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

AmyQuinn

Reads to me like someone who doesn’t like the current government writing an article attacking them in a halfway gentle way, using a previous position of authority he held as a description of why he has reservations about the government.

I know an officer who got to command a Ballistic Missile submarine is someone who should command respect but I don’t know why getting into that position should make his point of view any more relevant to me than anyone else’s.

It’s kind of like when celebrities try to tell me which way to vote and what I should think. I just think “who the hell are you and why should I care what you think?” If any one of my previous COs came up with this junk I wouldn’t give it consideration just because they commanded a ship. I’d read it but the fact they commanded a ship wouldn’t make it true or not. It’s just their POV.
exactly, that's what I thought of

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I'm afraid he is coming across as a 'typical' time served, wants to get on but didn't, wardroom ****** - and I would be more than happy to say that to his face. In fact I hope he is informed of or even reads this post.

He was happy enough to take the kudos and pay that went with the job and responsibility at the time. he seems typical of those senior officers who does/says nothing for the troops/Service while serving, then once outside and with no power to affect change, commences transmitting.

If only they'd speak up while serving....... though in this case he'd be out on his arse, and rightly so.

Biker Buster

Lantern Swinger
I'm afraid he is coming across as a 'typical' time served, wants to get on but didn't, wardroom ****** - and I would be more than happy to say that to his face. In fact I hope he is informed of or even reads this post.

He was happy enough to take the kudos and pay that went with the job and responsibility at the time. he seems typical of those senior officers who does/says nothing for the troops/Service while serving, then once outside and with no power to affect change, commences transmitting.

If only they'd speak up while serving....... though in this case he'd be out on his arse, and rightly so.
Succinct and accurate.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
stan_the_man They wouldn't dare - would they???? Diamond Lil's 37
D would you/wouldn't you?? Diamond Lil's 61
Montigny_La_Palisse The cnuting SUN. I wouldn't wipe my arsse with the fcuker. Diamond Lil's 16
S I wouldn't leave that there! The Fleet Air Arm 0
T You wouldn't steal money from a war pensioner? Diamond Lil's 4
W why they wouldn't have me Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
E I can’t do Press-ups Health & Fitness 12
MoD_RSS Statistical press release: Energy Consumption in the UK 2020 MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The man who didn't press the button. History 1
P Sit up/ press up test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
MoD_RSS CDC board meeting with Ghanaian stakeholders: Press statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK energy statistics: statistical press release - September 2020 MoD News 0
soleil Lochside Press: "Camilla Calls At Faslane To See HMS Astute" Submariners 7
MoD_RSS PM press conference statement: 9 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Sec to press for renewed dialogue in Israel and OPTs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2nd UK-Philippines Economic Dialogue Joint Press Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statistical press release: Digest of UK Energy Statistics 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK energy statistics: statistical press release - June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement at the coronavirus press conference: 16 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement at the coronavirus press conference: 10 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement at the coronavirus press conference: 3 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM press conference statement on the five tests: 28 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM press conference statement: 25 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM press conference statement: 24 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement by Media Freedom Coalition on World Press Freedom Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS E3 and Netherlands Foreign Ministers Statement on World Press Freedom Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press statement by Security Council Members calling for the immediate cessation of hostilities in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster opens the coronavirus press conference: 31 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK energy statistics: statistical press release - March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS "Take aim, press print." MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's joint press conference Turkish Foreign Minister, March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement at coronavirus press conference: 3 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Morocco - September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of British High Commissioner to India - Spring 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Republic of Niger - March 2020 MoD News 0
soleil Press & Journal: "North-East MP Calls For Navy To Bring Back Uni Reserves To Aberdeen" SCC and URNU 4
MoD_RSS FCO press release: Change of British High Commissioner to Tonga - February 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press Release: UKin...Pavia MoD News 0
soleil Aberdeen Press & Journal: "Commemoration Arranged For Royal Marine Hero And His Son In Beauly" 26/01/20 The Corps 2
MoD_RSS UK energy statistics: statistical press release - December 2019 MoD News 0
I press ups for girls Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS PM press conference at EU Council: 17 October 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK energy statistics: statistical press release - September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secretary of State speech at breakfast event hosted by Europa Press in Madrid MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM press statement with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar: 9 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statistical press release: Digest of UK Energy Statistics 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Traineeships help young people to access jobs and further study MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK House Price Index for April 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Insurance fraud lands boss 12-year bankruptcy restrictions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Broad new measures to ensure small businesses get paid on time MoD News 0