£700m MoD Budget Cut.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Mar 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Savings arnt cuts are they. Is the budget £700 million less than last year.
  2. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Surely they're not doing away with the Department of Bullshit, Lies and Glossy Publications?

What next? No Navy News?

3. Are we really that naive to believe "savings" won’t equate to cuts? That along with the updating of the IT system, hasn't that old chestnut been done at the NHS and it's still not working and many many times over budget?
  4. or they could just let jolly jack do all the jobs that they now employ contractors to do. now how much would that save.
  5. The RFA are having two ships laid up at extended readiness for 5 years, refits have been cut and the replacements for the Old Forts have been put back another year, thats before they've even been designed
  6. Bloody anti cider drinkers lol
  7. Tell me about it am raging
  8. I notice he has left Buckfast wine alone,dose he hale from the Buckfast triangle. 8O
  9. Ghost

Have always wondered that. Every day sees more civilians in defence. One that really got me was a 'Corporate Communications' type recently employed in a Ministry of Defence Hospital Unit. Why? All she seems to do is dist weekly orders, which the Writers seemed perfectly capable of doing before she came along.

The problem is that they are all unionised, so getting rid of them is next to impossible.
  10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Angry - total BS - the MOD has reduced by over 40,000 people in the last 10 years, with a further 8-10,000 likely in the next 18 months.

The reason you employ CS is due to the capitation rates being vastly lower for a CS than a mil type - once you factor allowances and the like in, it can cost over £45K per year to support a LH - even more for the SNCO cadre. By contrast, the majority of CS earn under £20K per year, with very small allowances - its a no brainer really. I suspect your corporate comms person is costing a lot less to employ than the writer does.
  11. PT - we have the same number of writers, but now also have this person whose job title stinks. Corporate Communications in a small hospital unit? Please.

It may just be my field of work (or perception) but I'm a bit miffed at my comment being labelled as 'BS'. One may argue that if we can lose that many civil servants then were they really that necessary in the first place?
  12. Purple_twiglet

Angry - sorry your BS comment was on the unionised and not being able to get rid of them. The vast majority of MOD don't belong to a union, and as can be seen by the massive cuts we've had recently (equivalent to sacking the entire Naval Service), its fairly easy to get rid of us.
  13. PT Don't you see that as a problem in itself? MoD has reduced the CS by the equivalent of the RN and it still exists as a hugh body, something there just doesn't gel.
  14. Purple_twiglet

Not really Alacrity - the MOD is there to support all three services. Its a hugely diverse organisation and has to deal with everything from providing school teachers, estate management, nursery assistants, weapons technicians, canteen assistants, intelligence analysts, rocket scientists, police & security staff and the odd policy wonk to name but a few.

What is it you would like MOD to stop doing that will not have an impact on the Armed forces and which saves us money?
  15. Corporate communications in Doc's hospital as was suggested above... do you not see how his argument is that there are too many non-essential civilian staff employed.

The civil service are known for being horrendously over-inflated staff wise and for resisting change which involves the streamlining of departments - I don't for one second believe that the MoD is any different!
  16. :wink: :wink: Stop the Shiny Arses, Final Year index linked non contributory pension scheme, save us all shed load :roll: :roll:
  17. PT, these arn't personal criticisms. Presumably you are a civil servant, but you are not The Civil Service. I bitch about the RN a fair bit, even though I am in it.

The comment is: multiple redundancies but, at the coal-face (so to speak), it's not obvious.

Can you see how us in uniform see a disconnect?
  18. Purple_twiglet

Lonestar - don't take this the wrong way, but as you've only just passed AIB, I don't think you are really qualified to comment on the inner workings of the MOD. The MOD is not overly inflated in staffing terms - its an organisation which has constantly decreased in size for decades as the forces themselves decrease. It exists to support the forces, and it is manned appropriately for the tasks that Ministers and CDS want it to do.

As for the streamlining & change comment - having gone through more streamlining initiatives than I'd care to recall, I can assure you that we live in a permanent state of downsizing, reorganisation and a general expectation of always being expected to do more with less - my own team has gone from 18 to 8 in about 18 months, and still has the same workload - not paperclip filing mind you, but directly handling very serious and high profile matters for Ministers and very senior officers. What would be nice would be amalgamation which results in a dropping of workload, or even, god forbid, a desire by military officers to reduce their involvement in the staffing chain, thus making everyones lives easier.

Doc - You've gained a CS, but my last few teams have all lost multiple CS at the same time. Everyone sees it differently! The key point to remember is that there are 1/3rd fewer CS now than a few years ago, and about another 20000 are about to go.
  19. Purple_twiglet

Scouse - the non contributory scheme stopped years ago - the only people who still get it are the armed forces.