£7 bn loan to Ireland

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by rod-gearing, Nov 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't really see how we can give all this dosh to Ireland when we as a country are supposed to be in deep poo.
    VAT due to go up, cut backs etc as we have no money in the kitty.

Seems a bit mind boggling to me.

Any thoughts or views out there or am I missing the point?
  2. Confuses me as well, seems we've borrowed money to lend to someone else which is what the banks have been doing.

Isn't that how we got in the shit in the first place :?
  3. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

When companies borrow money to support each other, its called a "cartel" which is frowned upon... when countries borrow money to support each other its called "diplomacy". The only difference, in my opinion, between large scale organised crime and government is that the criminals are organised!

Yes, but you have to realise that it was companies that caused the problem not governments...

4. That's alright then, as long as they know what they're doing!!
  5. I wish someone would lend me some money.
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Broon vastly compounded the problem by padding the public payroll with 600,000 people who produce nothing and are not needed and who would be better employed in the productive sector of the economy.

As we are only 4.8 trillion sterling in the hole (once capitalisation of unfunded public pensions is included which is about 2/3 of the problem) what's another 7 bn of borrowing to add to 9 bn borrowed just to give away to crooked African dictators, the crooked Pakistani govt, and to x-subsidise the Indian nuclear weapons and space programmes? just a fleabite, about equal to Osborne's 'cuts'.

But I do wish Osborne had more tact than to tell us that the Irish loan is to help our 'friends'. Somebody list for me all the things Ireland has done to help us. The sooner they go back to their Pope, pigs and pratie patch economy the betetr.
  7. In bold..
    A full-blown racist remark surely?

Why not send a million tons of spuds and an apology for the way the 'English' treated them during the famine? If you look back on that history you'll find little to be proud of.
  8. To be sure..... why don't they take their begging bowl accross the pond.
    The bars of Boston were very sympathetic towards the 'Freedom fighters' in the 70's/80's along with many in congress.
    Where's a fcuking Kennedy when you need one ?
    O'Neal, O'Riley, O'bama...... they're all the same.... aren't they ? :roll:
  9. Oh I don't know. I'm quite proud of giving the filthy spud munching bastards a kicking through history.

Now they're forever in our debt, still our little bitches and will have to thank us for it. Osborne is a genius.

Ill be first in the queue to offer some bread and gruel to the starving ginger slags for a nosh.
  10. They'd only let them go off.
  11. St.Patricks day should be good next year when they get their 7bn.
  12. According to the BBC news the word we should be focussing on is in the title of this thread "Loan".i.e. the money is to be paid back plus interest.as long as they don't default we're quids in. :eek:ccasion5:
  13. Look on the bright side;

it seems that Paddy is a big buyer of our exports

many Ulstermen bank etc over the border (competition)

problems with Paddy's economy has an adverse affect on the Ulster local economy

if times get hard, they will be over here in droves

despite the politics of his successive governments and home grown nutters, Paddy has bled by the bucketfull in our wars and assorted armed conflicts

Apart from that, sod 'em.
  14. I've also seen on many newscasts and political discussions and said not only by politicians, but economists as well that 'we export more to Ireland than to any other European country', so it's a case of don't bite the hand that feeds you.
  15. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

With this international debt thing it is not necessarily how much but when it is due.

Greece has lots of debt and it was all short term and coming up for renewal or repayment, nobody wanted to loan anymore as their economy is shit, risk of not meeting debt obligations = debt crisis

UK, lots of debt, but due a long time from now (10-15 years) plenty of time to sort out our shitty economy, we have debt but not a comparable debt crisis.

If Ireland was not able to meet its debt obligations it would be us that lost out as we had loaned to them in the first place. This gives them time to sort out their economy and pay it all back in the longer term, as it is not really possible to repossess a country. However in this case I suggest we try to repossess, evicting the current tennants to Somalia.

We can then make the Emerald Isle into an Irish themed holiday destination, staff by Poles as they are cheap and hard working.
  16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Give it a rest you cunts. The CA forum is the second door on the right, populated by the outraged bus pass holders.

17. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Where is Ireland anyway? I always thought it was Kilburn.
  18. It’s a bit steep for a guaranteed 12 points in Eurovision?
  19. As it's quite normal (no, not Norman) for CA Posts to be consigned to the Gash Barge, I'd find it quite funny if this one was consigned to CA.
  20. From Telegraph.....

Why would Britain join in?

British banks have £140billion tied up in Ireland’s financial institutions. British help will come, anyway, via the EFSM. An additional bilateral loan between just Britain and Ireland is one option. Or, because of the high stakes and as Ireland is close neighbour, Britain might choose to join an EFSF bailout.

Does this mean that you can buy a country......something UK needs to tell the electorate when the EC is being discussed

Dublin is desperate to avoid the stigma of an EU-IMF bailout and the loss of sovereignty it will entail.