£2bn Navy ships get the OK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mikh, Apr 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope the main thrust of the article is true!

But I can't believe the amount of factual errors in this article... and I think that the Sun's graphics person got a bit carried away on the size of the ship in the picture...
  2. Factual errors/ iffy graphics - it's the Sun FFS, what do you expect from a comic. Anyway hope there is a grain of truth in this. Re. Rosyth - my understanding has always been that if they are built then Rosyth has an important role due to the availability of very large dry docks.
  3. The timing seems remarkable and it is in the FORCES favourite newspaper(yeah yeah yeah).
    Basically it's SPIN by the time people realise it's bull it's months or years down the line.
  4. Wishful thinking or perhaps a spurious pre-Scottish elections 'leak', I suspect. Where would the carriers be built, again?
  5. If the Sun's picture of the new ship is accurate (and being the Sun, it should be!!), then the new carrier will be a very expensive way of protecting the upper Forth towns such as Alloa, Grangemouth etc. Cos it will never fit under the bridge if it's built in Rosyth!! :oops:
    geoff(ers) :?
  6. No no , it'll be OK, if its built anything like the LPD's, they'll leave a whole deck off it!!
  7. Even the aircraft are huge, are there any WAFUs big enough to reach the pedals!!
  8. 1. Where we going to grow the crew then?
    2. Protected by the biggest white elephant since the Bristol (Daring)
    3. Will be based in Marchwood as Pompy wil be a collection of seafront apartements by then.
    4. If built by the standards of the ongoing T45 program its aircraft will be the Swordfish and air defence will consist of a couple of chefs with surface to air potatoes.
  9. Very suspect, Can't see it happening certainly within those time lines, will it really be that much bigger than the present carriers !!!
  10. PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  11. That will be a weapons upgrade then.........
  12. wheres all this talk of rosyth coming from? never heard this before. I do know that barrow is supposed to be building the central sectons. and the rest on the clyde and at VT.
    Up until this thread ive never heard rosyth mentioned.
  13. Rosyth is the assembly yard and were also due to build the (small) bow block. VT to build one block, with the other two built on the Clyde and possibly Barrow, then stitched together at Rosyth, together with all the smaller blocks above the hangar deck.

Shedloads of rumours flying around about sending one block to the French (to allegedly reduce cost - or maybe as compensation for the ludicrous sum they paid for what was basically a concept design!).

The need to dock them is probably the only reason the debate about warship support (BNS vs FSL vs DML) is still going on.....

As for the Sun article Newton-Dunn is a known numpty, but you would have thought that someone could have mentioned that the FAA will be operating off the ships, with RAF augmentation rather than the other way round -or maybe thats just too simplistic to grasp....
  14. I can't believe this, I have a tear in my eye reading the headline, god bless The Sun. They may print shite most of the time but they're one of the few papers that give the RN the time of day.

It's gonna be the dogs balls bein in the RN when these things are on the sea's!
  15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

handy bit of spin just before the jock elections me thinks......
  16. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Timing would appear to be too convenient wouldn't it? :?
  17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The Sun says
    Floating battlefields? 8O Will enemy infantry be airlifted out so that Royal can engage them on the flight deck? Tank battles will be a bit close quarters though.

The Sun says
    so the Sun's artist goes for twice as long, twice as wide, twice as high. :roll:

The Sun says
    Park up? Sitting duck and not much wind across the deck? That’ll be right. Figure of speech? Not from a military source.

If the target isn't a coastal nation, they'll still need permission. Not much good against Zimbabwe if Mozambique isn't playing.

Call the hands call the hands call the hands.............

Speaking of coincidences, the CVF IPT leader was to give an unclassified, open to the public lecture on the engineering aspects of the carriers on Thursday 19th which I assume went ahead. It was also to be ‘podcast’. Handy source for journalists, not that I’m suggesting………