Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resource icon

Victim Without a Face by Stefan Ahnhem

Rating
My Christmas came early, thanks A.G.

The first thing you notice about this book is its physical presence: it’s over 550 pages long and comes with its very own built in woven bookmark, a nice feature I’ve not seen for quite a while.

The original book was written in Swedish, but has been translated into over 8 different languages. I’ve read many thrillers translated from Swedish over the years and not yet been disappointed: this one also hits the mark. – Spectacularly so!

The central character is a flawed detective, troubled by his past and his marriage. He moves back to the city he grew up in only to find that a maniac is killing off his old school class, one by one. The murders are gruesome and all seem to be making a point about the victim.

Several times I thought I’d solved the case, only to have my theories left in tatters a few pages later. Mind you, the team trying to solve the case were doing no better.

The plot is gritty, complex and quite chilling; the story is tightly written and there are more twists and turns than you’d find with a politician on the election trail. This book had me hooked from the first page: it was such a shame that Christmas interrupted my reading of it.

My only complaint about the story is that I wasn’t au-fait enough with Sweden’s geography to know where all the locations were.

A winner of Crimetime’s novel of the year award, I found it a superb and compelling read that I’ll happily award 41/2 anchors.