One False Move - Robert Goddard

One False Move - Robert Goddard

Rating
A great lightweight mid-week read.

Goddard is a Hampshire lad and an acclaimed author of a fist-full of novels but until this book dropped through the letter-box I’d not read any.

I picked up this book having just finished the previous one. Two hours later I noticed the time. - I‘d been drawn in so well and had finished the first section of the book. This got me into quite a lot of trouble with the good lady as I’d forgotten to put our evening meal on!

I’d say this book is almost but not quite, un-put-downable. It’s certainly full of twists and turns, and it keeps you on your toes, and nothing should be taken at face value.

There are three flaws though…

1) There is a continuity error that if you spot it, gives the ending away. The error is subtle, but it’s there.

2) The characters become rather shallow and more single-dimensional as the book progresses; despite starting by being very well rounded and credible.

3) The plot steadily weakens and in the end, I feel it just peters out: it’s almost as if the author has run out of steam. Part three of the book (the final part) contains things that are so far fetched as to be almost laughable.

Despite these shortcomings, I enjoyed the book immensely.

The story in a nutshell…

A computer game player is spotted as being able to outplay the computer at an ancient strategy game called GO. The company behind the computer version notices the player’s ability and wants to know more about him. An offer to join them is made, but his present employer isn’t too happy about letting him go. Cue a big bun-fight which involves organised crime, big business, the Chinese, the Russians and the British intelligence services, just for good measure.

Who will get the prize, (Joe the game player) and what do they want him for?

I’m going to run to 4 anchors with this as I enjoyed it, even though it is a little lightweight. Easy reading escapism at it’s best: maybe one for Christmas afternoon?

Author
rebbonk
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from rebbonk