New Enemy – Andy McNab.

Author Rating:
  • I’m not a particular fan of McNab, but must admit that this was better than I expected. The story seemed to hark back to the good old Boy’s Own type of adventures that many of us grew up on. McNab has tried, but in my opinion failed, to capture the excitement and derring-do of an infantry recce platoon.

The story in a nutshell: guy joins the platoon, gets sent on a mission, mission evolves into something unexpected and… Well, you’ll have to read it to find out, but it does take rather a long while to warm up.

I believe this is the third in McNab’s Liam Scott series, though it is a stand alone read. I read this over a few evenings, coupled with a few good brandies. It allowed me to escape the Christmas hubbub in our house and get away from the rubbish TV programmes that the good lady insists on watching. Not a bad read by any stretch of the imagination, but one that I honestly feel is light on detail and more suited to the younger reader. I did enjoy the book, though can’t say I particularly warmed to any of the characters.

I’d suggest this would be an ideal present for a mid teen interested in Special Forces type of fiction.

3 anchors from me

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!