Forgotten Voices of the Great War

Author Rating:
4.5/5,
Average User Rating:
4/5,
  • Written by Max Arthur OBE (Arthur was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2013 New Year Honours for services to military history). He has at least 25 published books with passages of his work being featured in GCSE AQA coursework (2014/15 candidates). With regards to Forgotten Voices of the Great War, I was extremely impressed with the book and ended up being more absorbed in it than I initially thought I would be. I would go as far to say that the book seemed to touch me on an emotional level, having not only lost family in the stated war but like so many others, lost family in more recent wars, so I felt I could connect with it on a personal level.
    I was also fascinated with the wide array of accounts from German soldiers, which, is somewhat of a rarity in most books of this type.
    The book is easier to follow and understand than most other WW1 books, which I believe is down to 2 things:
    1) The personal accounts from all aspects and sides of the war. This engages the reader by allowing them to empathise with each individual in the book.
    2) The layout is in complete chronological order, with each account (although not shown) is in date order and each chapter is on year of the war, highlighting most, if not all battles within that year.

The book follows the war from day one to endex, through the eyes of factory workers and civvies and from forces on both sides, using extracts from letters and diary entries.

Stephen Fry is quoted on the book: "Immensely moving", to which I can agree with. Each and every story is harrowing and conjures up the atmosphere of war.

There aren't too many major floors that I could find with this book, so I'll give it 4 ½ anchors.

User Comments

To post comments, simply sign up and become a member!