Welcome to Navy Net

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial naval community.

Register now (free) to join in and remove this advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
Discuss Royal Navy Entrance Exam in Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) on Navy Net; Does anyone else here think that the entrance exam for the RN/RNR is flawed. Recently we have had an influx of people who, in my opinion, are perfectly suitable for the service but fail on ...
  1. #1
    Senior Member trehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere warm & wet, thats right - a giant gravy filled yorkshire pud!
    Posts
    1,326
    Images
    7

    Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    Does anyone else here think that the entrance exam for the RN/RNR is flawed.

    Recently we have had an influx of people who, in my opinion, are perfectly suitable for the service but fail on the exam. And on the other hand i've seen absolute, complete morons without an ounce of common sense pass with flying colours.

    Whilst i completely agree that an entrance exam is completely necessary to gauge someone's mental ability i believe that the one currently in use is not focussing on the right areas.

    One of the most important skills in life is common sense and again, while it is only my humble opinion, i have seen more dimwhits that i wouldnt trust to walk a dog pass the test only to make a complete arse of everything thereafter.

    Discuss.
    The Royal Navy Reserve - YESTERDAYS TECHNOLOGY - TODAY!

  2. #2
    Senior Member SILVER_FOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back Home at Last
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    Difficult to know. It's been 21 years since I took it.

    SF
    Never be first, Never be last and never volunteer!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    718

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    I think the current exam is fine, it expects potential recruit to know enough English, Maths and Physics to be a useful part of the team. It is also the case that the pass mark for RNR is higher than for other services.

    I don't think most would approve of us watering down the standards on say fitness (I am one of those that disapproves of the new even easier tri-service swimming test) so why should we swell our ranks with dullards.

    No the problem is with modern education which does not put great store in basic English, Maths and Physics perfering to churn out people unfit for employment with GCSE Media Studies and the like.

  4. #4
    Senior Member slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    9,557
    Images
    4

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    Quote Originally Posted by phil1972
    I think the current exam is fine, it expects potential recruit to know enough English, Maths and Physics to be a useful part of the team. It is also the case that the pass mark for RNR is higher than for other services.

    I don't think most would approve of us watering down the standards on say fitness (I am one of those that disapproves of the new even easier tri-service swimming test) so why should we swell our ranks with dullards.

    No the problem is with modern education which does not put great store in basic English, Maths and Physics perfering to churn out people unfit for employment with GCSE Media Studies and the like.
    I think you have put it in a nutshell Phil. But these gash subjects do make the governmant education targets look better than they are.
    Never let the Truth Spoil a Good Dit

    If the Train to Heaven Stops at Bangkok, GET OFF!

  5. #5
    Senior Member trehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere warm & wet, thats right - a giant gravy filled yorkshire pud!
    Posts
    1,326
    Images
    7

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    I do not have an issue with the fitness test or medical but in the RNR (whether we should or not) we allow potential recruits to join classes before they have passed the selction process. During these few weeks you get to know people and see their strengths and weeknesses.

    Everone should have a reasonable degree of fitness and be medically fit without question. The problem being that i see people getting turned away after failing the exam who, again this is only my opinion, would be perfectly suitable, more suitable in fact than many others who do pass.

    I would personally prefer to work with someone with bundles of common sense who perhaps may strucggle with maths and english than some of the clueless intelectuals who seem to get into the RNR.

    I am not seeking to "water down" the exam but rather revise the format somewhat.
    The Royal Navy Reserve - YESTERDAYS TECHNOLOGY - TODAY!

  6. #6
    Junior Member fear_and_loathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    i dont think there's a problem with the exam.

    with regards to common sense, you're right, it gives no indication as to the level of common sense someone has. but how can it? common sense isn't really one of those things you can test in an exam.
    the only function of the exam is to ensure that everyone shows a reasonable ability to comprehend the basics. obviously you'll still get people with a reasonable level of intellect but put their boots on the wrong feet. i guess the idea is that they'll get filtered out during basic training????? the team works.

    personally i'd take some convincing that anyone who cant pass the exam really derserves to be in the RN, it is pretty bloody simple after all.

    CAR is to ROAD as SHIP is to:
    A) sea
    B) cheesecake
    C) jim henderson
    just another freak in the freak kingdom

  7. #7
    Senior Member trehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere warm & wet, thats right - a giant gravy filled yorkshire pud!
    Posts
    1,326
    Images
    7

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    I took the test just over six years ago and did very well, in fact i think i got over a certain score that allowed you to apply to be an Artificer (is that correct or did i dream it?).

    I have since seen the test they sit now and it does seem rather different to what i remember, but then that is six years ago. i must confess that i got a couple of the answers wrong and despite having the answers at the rear of the help book i honestly couldnt understand how they got to the answer.

    But on another note, does anyone seem to think that the standard of common sense coming into the service is lower.

    I mean, some people really are pork!

    I have a feeling that i may be alone on this one. JIM30 Where are you?
    The Royal Navy Reserve - YESTERDAYS TECHNOLOGY - TODAY!

  8. #8
    Senior Member rugger_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    53.553363/-2.329102
    Posts
    710
    Images
    1

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    Quote Originally Posted by fear_and_loathing
    i dont think there's a problem with the exam.

    with regards to common sense, you're right, it gives no indication as to the level of common sense someone has. but how can it? common sense isn't really one of those things you can test in an exam.
    the only function of the exam is to ensure that everyone shows a reasonable ability to comprehend the basics. obviously you'll still get people with a reasonable level of intellect but put their boots on the wrong feet. i guess the idea is that they'll get filtered out during basic training????? the team works.

    personally i'd take some convincing that anyone who cant pass the exam really derserves to be in the RN, it is pretty bloody simple after all.

    CAR is to ROAD as SHIP is to:
    A) sea
    B) cheesecake
    C) jim henderson
    B, THAT HAS GOT TO BE RIGHT COS ITS COMMON SENSE, COS WE HAVE NO SHIPS LEFT IN THE SEA AND J HENDERSON IS NOTHING TO DO WITH SHIP'S, AH BUT THEN, IT MIGHT BE CONNECTED WITH JIM30 !!
    Would if i could, but i can't - so i won't

  9. #9
    Senior Member Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    La bell'Italia
    Posts
    492
    Images
    1

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    Which country's national anthem is "oh Canada"?

    A. Finland.
    B. Utopia.
    C. Canada.
    ال*ياة مثل خيار....يوم في يدك ويوم في تيزك

  10. #10
    Senior Member rugger_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    53.553363/-2.329102
    Posts
    710
    Images
    1

    Re: Royal Navy Entrance Exam

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel
    Which country's national anthem is "oh Canada"?

    A. Finland.
    B. Utopia.
    C. Canada.
    B.
    Would if i could, but i can't - so i won't

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •