Royal Navy considered as reinforcements on Omaha Beach

Discussion in 'History' started by Vesper, Dec 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've managed to trace my grandfathers shipmates from World War Two, my grandfather served on one of the V&W Destroyers, HMS Vesper. He was just offshore from Omaha Beach during D-Day. I was able to meet one of his shipmates and conduct an interview with him to find out what exactly happened. Thought you might find this quite interesting.

Interviewer & George

Interviewer= Me

George = Radar mechanic, HMS Vesper, 6th June 1944.

Interviewer classed as I & George as G:

:thumright:

Kind regards,

~Vesper

2. Hmmmm.

3. Pinch of Salt required (with all due respect to George the Radar man)

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I understand Warspite was diverted from other tasks to help at Omaha. By this time she had one turret and one boiler room permanently out of action as I understand. She was firing over the head of my great-uncle who had been a Mid in her forward turret at Jutland so he must have been cheered up to see her. He was a Cdr on the Retired List and had been sent in to manage the unloading of merchantmen who were supposed to drive onto the beach at high tide and then crane their stuff over the side when the tide ran out, then float off again. In the end as he put it to me he 'spent three days in a foxhole waiting for the Americans to sort themselves out'. He didn't know his only son was further along to the East in the only RN ship (Wrestler) to be put permanently out of action on the day itself.

Part of the problem at Omaha was the Americans refusing to take advice from the RN. The swimming tanks were launched too far out so that they sank and the infantry then didn't have their guns on the beach to help out.