Recruitment Process ?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ash891, Apr 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Recently applied to join up as a CIS. Got invited to the presentation and then sat my psychometric test shortly after (last week) and have since been booked in for an interview in just under a few weeks time.

I'm just curious as to why I am to have my interview before any of the tests (besides the psychometric)? Looking on the RN website and trawling through recruitment forums it appears as though one is supposed to sit all the medical, eye and fitness tests before the selection interview.

Or do the stages simply vary depending on the recruiter?

Thanks
    Ash
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. It changed recently, at a guess it was a waste of money and time sending people through their medicals, eye examinations and pjft's before assessing if they're suitable for service in the eyes of the interviewer. I am doing mine the old way as i started the process last year, but my afco mentioned the new order and has been discussed on here too so wouldn't worry about it! Good luck :D
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated, the process sequence has changed but the website hasn't yet been updated.

The idea is supposedly to save money by interviewing before the 'contracted-out' elements of selection (eye test, medical, PJFT & Security Clearance). The thing to be aware of in order to manage realistic expectations, is that after the recruiting test, the highest fails occur at the medical, then the PJFT, then the selection interview and then the eye test, in descending order. Comparatively few fail the interview outright in relation to the contracted elements of selection (although they may be deferred at interview).

This now means, from an applicants perspective, that you could find yourself completing more selection elements before possibly finding out you could later be ineligible.

4. Thanks - makes sense to me now!

Ash
  5. Hi all, just a quick update on my application progress!

I've passed everything so far and my final step before PRNC is the fitness test, booked for towards the end of the month. I was told I've got 28 days to do it so I figured may aswell book it towards the latter end of the 28 days in order to improve on my 2.4km time. I can do it in 10.30 comfortably but I want to be able to ace it!

Ash
  6. Congratulations on passing, I'm also going into CIS, 10.30 is a good time, if you want to improve just hit the speed up on your treadmill. That's all it takes mate, good luck!
  7. Get off the treadmill and hit the streets! (If you're not doing it already)

The PJFT may be on a treadmill but the PRNC isn't, may as well get used to it and whatever time you get, you can roughly knock off about 30 seconds for you treadmill time.
  8. Thanks, yeah I have been doing a small number of street runs.

Do you mean street running will improve my treadmill time by roughly 30 sec?

What I've been doing is running on progressively increasing inclines on the treadmill which I've been told helps replicate street running - but this plays hell with my shins so I've stopped doing the 2.4km above a 5% or so incline.
  9. Thanks - it took me a while to get there to be honest, was always quite active but never really focused on running - my legs have received a hammering in the months leading up to my application - the biggest influence to improving my fitness was stopping smoking almost 14 weeks ago, best thing I've done!
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  10. Running on a treadmill is easier than running on the streets, so your time on a treadmill will be quicker than on the street (usually).

A treadmill is a softer run (surface) and you don't get the uphill/downhill benefits (one strengthens the back leg muscles, one strengthens the front) unless you change the settings. Running on the streets is a harder run and if you live in a hilly area, you will get the benefits of running up and down hill.

So, the faster you're able to run on tarmac, stone, gravel, grass, whatever, you'll be roughly 30 seconds or so quicker on a treadmill.

And, your PRNC is on tarmac, I believe it's a few laps around Collingwood (could be wrong about that), so if you get used to running outside, you'll be able to ace both with no trouble.

Hope I have worded that correctly.
  11. Good to know, thanks.
    I guess it's just variety! I'm just going to be careful not to over train, I was over enthusiastic a couple months back and ended up with minor shin splints which lasted a few weeks - makes me cautious of every little muscle ache I get!

12. I'm currently resting my ankle, was doing circuit training and went over on my ankle. Put down to a twisted ankle and thought nothing of it and cracked on with things. Month later and still having trouble, went to the Dr's and found out I have strained the tendons and I need to stay off it for a week or 2.
  13. Ouch! Fortunately it was just over-use in my case. I think it was doing a fast paced 2 miles on the treadmill then a 3 mile run around town 20 minutes after which caused it (in new minimalist shoes which I wasn't used to!)
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  14. Get yourself a pair of good trainers. I'm talking £80 + Asics or Nike here with good support and padding. Can probably get a half price pair on Zalando or that other one I can't remember the name of.

Should help with the shin splints and helps you get used to the hard surface of the our doors.

I have a pair of Nike +3's I got for £40 (usually £90) and it feels like you're running on foam and I haven't had shin splints since I started using them.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  15. That's exactly the same shoes I'm using (free run 3's).

I think its just a combination of over training and the impact of running when my body isn't really used to it yet - also flat feet feet don't help. Like anything though no pain no gain!

Just got to be careful when upping distance & speed, my goal is to knock a minute off my 2.4 km time of 10.30.

16. Cheers I will get myself to a running shop for an analysis if I get more shin splints but I'll hold off for now because I'm almost certain it was down to over training (my Nike free run 3's have barely seen 80 mile!)

Since I'm flat footed the doc said I could get inserts to help my form - but he said if I wanted to be good at running in the long term I'm better off without them and just develop the muscles/form needed using minimalist footwear (eg nike free 3's).

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Beware being prescribed orthotic insoles if suffering from shin splints - they are a bar to entry (as is a pre-existing history of chronic shin-splints). If you need insoles but "off the shelf" such as sorbothane.
  18. Thanks - I'm going to do my best to avoid them, running has certainly gotten easier since I started training and I do believe I was just over enthusiastic with it at one point - I've been a swimmer from a young age, my cardio has always been good - my guess is my legs just weren't up for the amount of running I was able to do haha (entire different muscle set and no impact).

Do any of you more experienced runners still suffer from overuse injuries?

Ash
  19. Im waiting on my fitness test and have been doing a lot of training in the gym, just wondering at what speed I would need to run to complete within the stated time? Plus are the treadmills they use to test you in in kl or miles? Thanks

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  20. To run safely under 11 minutes I've been aiming to keep the speed at 13.6 km (roughly 8.5 mph). I'd imagine every gym is different in regards to what unit the treadmills use, I'd phone up to check so you don't have any surprises!