Naval Tailors

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by rod-gearing, May 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do naval tailors still call on the jetty etc when ships return trying to sell the latest fashions.
    I remember Greenbroughs and the others(any ideas ?) pulling up alongside where we would buy our two tone tonic suits and crombies.The latest gear for the man about town.

Might bring back a few fond memories of pay lost to a licensed bandit in a van!

2. "Jack Blair trendy menswear is now in attendance on the jetty" Is still piped most days mate :)

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband Moderator Book Reviewer

"Able Seaman Lamri, visitor - gangway..." :twisted:

4. Louis,Jack Blair and Bernards, or Geives and hawkes for the wardroom lot.
    I first encountered this tailoring trio at Hms Raleigh, encouraging you to sign up for an account.Dont know why! You were not allowed ashore in civvies anyway.

5. I always remember Jack Blair pitching up on the jetty in Mayport, Florida when on the Fearless, that was amusing.
    Jack Blair was always piped as being on the jetty, two seconds later half a dozen names or so would also be piped to the jetty.

6. Always had 'Daily editorials and a fine selection of mens magazines' piped too when the paper van was in attendance!

7. At Raleigh they are merely touting for future custom. I signed an allotment form with Bernards for £2.00 month (lot of dosh in 63) This lasted for 22 years and finished when I left the RN. Good business 22 years of custom. I would have cancelled it but never go around to it.

8. At Mercury in the 60's I seem to remember the Tailors was Dauffmans or something like that and was run by "Split Waterman", always did a roaring trade in lanyards on divisions day (every Friday)

9. Jack Blair had invaded Merc's by the early 80's I'm afraid to say!

10. :D :D

11. Gieves used to make up your No.1s as a QNX (deffo a rating) in the RNXS. Sadly we were disbanded before I qualified, so I still have my "loan" suit. :( :lol:

12. My school uniform was from Gieves and Hawkes.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband Moderator Book Reviewer

The one I remember in Pompey Dockyard was:

"The little old man with the little red van is now in attendance on the jetty"

Anyway he retired and his son took over the business. As a result he bought a new van, and the pipe was changed accordingly:

"The big fat fuck in the little red truck is now in attendance on the jetty"

:lol:

14. Does that mean I must in future address you as sir? Sir?