Marines held after man dies in Portsmouth bar brawl

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Naval_Gazer, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A sad day for the Corps according to this article in the Pompey News:

2. Oh deep joy! Looks like i leave violent drunks behind in redditch in september then move to pomey to more violence. :roll:

Its shame that their reputation is being taken into dispute though.

3. FFS behave, just behave!

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband Moderator Book Reviewer

Mod Mode:

As the investigation into this is ongoing, and it is likely that those involved may be RR members, or known to them, please keep opinions in check.

Anyway, my thoughts are with Kyle's family, friends and shipmates. RIP...

5. As this is subject to ongoing investigation involving naval service personnel all to note the board policy on related commentary.

6. Edited due the follow up link from NG

7. The Pompey News has named the victim in the follow-up article here:

My condolences to Kyle's family, friends and colleagues.

In line with what SPB and Karma have already said, please avoid making any ill-judged posts. This incident is tragic enough as it is.

8. RIP Kyle

Thoughts with Family, friends and colleagues

9. RIP young man and so sad to hear of this.

Walkabout has been a bad place for a long time and I believe it was close to being closed down last year due to the amount of fights and general trouble in there. I have often told my youngest daughter NOT to frequent it with any of her friends.

10. R.I.P

The victims father served on HMS Sheffield during the Falklands, thoughts and prayers to the family.

11. A very sad day for all concerned. 1 life ended and 4 lives ruined over a stupid argument.

12. RIP Shippers, no run ashore should end in these circumstances.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband Moderator Book Reviewer

Apologies for the thread drift, but not entirely true. Walkabout is no different to any other bar in Guildhall Walk, and attracts a variety of punters - the majority of whom have a good time and go home without incident. Their late licence was subject to review last year (as with all licenced premises there), but it was never in any jeopardy of closing...

14. According to this article and this article in today's Pompey News and this article on the BBC website, a Royal Marine has been charged with murder. Such a sad business all round. Nuff said.

15. RIP shipmate

16. Met the lad on a few occasions, seemed a freindly and stand up bloke!

Saddend to hear about this, and i know lots of others who know him are as well!

RIP Kyle!

17. :roll:

I think the word you're looking for is "disrespute". There are some things a spellchecker can't help with.

RIP to the lad involved.

18. It is so very very sad this is just my opinion but it's an example of how horribly wrong things can go with the mix of young men, alcohol and testosterone.

19. The Royal Marine charged with murder appeared in Portsmouth Magistrates' Court today and was remanded in custody to appear at Winchester Crown Court on 22 May according to this article on the Pompey News website.

20. A real tragedy. RIP Jack.