John Smiths

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by seafarer1939, Jan 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Living in the sticks on the Borders I've noticed even when I travel to Berwick all the pubs are selling the John Smiths crap,I'm reduced to drinking Guinness or Magners.
    What has happened to all our beers? I'm not a real ale drinker although a couple I've tried are OK the others are dishwater with no head to the pint.
    Went out on the lash last night and ended up on the rums as the beer was foul.
    We do have a local one Bellhaven which is very good but not a lot of places sell it as the big breweries have a Monopoly.
    Just a well they don't sell Brickwoods,if I hadn't drank half an half in Pompey I may have turned Tee Total.
    Well maybe not but these modern John Smith type of ales is,like the old saying,"Shagging in a Whaler" Fucking close to water!"
    What's yours like? if it's any good I may move!and don't tell me Worthies or Double Diamond.
    I like Tetleys and Thwaites but it's not up here and Boddingtons which I drank in Blackpool won't travel.
    Just going to uncork a bottle of red for dinner,Feck John Smiths!

2. Have you tried "Semtex" sort of blows your head off? Best of luck with the red

3. wal

wal Badgeman

Bombadier or Courage best. Can't stand smooth beers.

4. Where do you put the fuse?

5. Tried them when I worked in Bristol,not for me, it's the old adage you need Courage to drink Courage!
    Sitting in a pub in Bristol a guy next to me took back his pint because it was a quarter of inch away from being filled to the brim with no froth!
    I like a froth on my beer and Courage is not like that!
    I think it may be a Northern thing!

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Agreed. Smooth beers are shite. Fullers do a good range and i'm partial to Goffs Brewery beers when i go to the Cotswolds. Luckily, my RNA does a good selection of beer and the Pride is always good, as is the Doom Bar they're serving at the moment.

7. Majority of Smudge cask and smooth is brewed in Birkenhead nowadays, only the smaller barrels of cask are still brewed in Taddy and are ok. The emergence of micro breweries over the last few years has been a godsend IMO, some fantastic brews to be had out there.
    Nothing compares though to my first ever pint, went to the village local with elder bro the night before joining up (under age drinkers were allowed to drink in the pub rear passage) William Youngers best bitter from an oak barrel, nectar.

8. How about trying HSB?

9. For one small moment I thought you had typed CSB.

10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Do explain, or am i having a brain fart when i'm thinking of ESB?

11. You lost me old mate when you said you like Thwaites and didn't fancy Double Diamond(do they still brew it in Scotland ?)
    Them Scottish beers should be OK, it's all in the water yeh know ! Then again you could move here and knock back a few Emu Bitters.

12. Doom Bar or Tribute for me when I can get it. Spitfire goes down well (pun intended).

13. No!Double Diamond is a Southern beer I think they must still make it as I saw it in some pub down Derby way.
    Scots have Scotch Ale sometimes called heavy I think but I never got the hang of drinking dark beers.
    Visiting a son in the Smoke he brought me a pint of Mild I one sip and I nearly rainbowed! it was foul.
    Newcastle Exhibition or Amber was my drink of old but I think that's gone.
    I blame the Aussies and all the others who took over our Breweries.
    BTW I've never drank Lager in my life,chemical crap with no taste and don't start me on Bud or Millers or French crap.
    German is strong enough,maybe too strong!

14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm with WreckerL on this one, Doombar in particular, not much fizz but still get a head so it doesn't look like rusty ditchwater

15. Horndean Special Bitter ... Gales (Horndean Brewery) aka "Hornsea Special Brainache"

as against ESB ... Fullers! - Some nice Ales from Fullers

But a subject close to my heart ... Real Ales!

Ones to keep a look out for which I've tried

Hook Norton Brewery ... Hook Norton Bitter or "Old Hooky"
    Romsey Brewery (Badger) ... whole range of ales from there all good.
    Goddards Brewery ... "Fugglededum" / Ducks Folly.
    Yates Brewery ... Yachtsmans / but all good.
    Doom Bar - already mentioned
    Moorlands ... Old Speckled Hen / Spitfire (same brewery now ... think Moorlands got taken over by someone.
    Abbots Ale
    Adnams - Broadside
    Masham Brewery - Black Sheep Bitter - only just tried this but good!
    Wych Brewery - Hobgoblin
    Marstons - Pedigree
    Theakstons "Old Peculiar"

List goes on ... but happy dayz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

16. Try the Barrels in Berwick just over the old bridge or the Pilot Inn up by the Station on Low Greens ,The Free Trade also does a good pint of Belhaven Best

17. Go to Germany. about 1,250 breweries in Germany, almost four times as many as in all other countries of the European Union combined. This number includes brewpubs that produce beer only for their own on-premise sales.

I've been testing now for 20 years, still got a lot to try. Hic

18. Gales is owned by Fullers, Marstons by Banks's

19. German beers ... pah! Try Belgian Beers! Forget the Stella crap - the ones most people see are Hoegarten (white beer) and Leffe ... weighs in at something like 6.6% and they go up.

Some real heavy weights ... Delirium Tremors (Comes in a glass with pink elephants on it) close of 10% but most of the Monestary brewed ones are in the 7% - 9% region.

20. Was bought out by Fullers now brewed at Chiswick. Not tried it since the move but other Fullers beer is good so should be alright.