Homosexual and Lesbian Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Feb 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Prime Minister says that this will make our society stronger, what I would like to know is how it will do that?

Personally I am vehemently against it.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. As long as no church is compelled to perform the ceremonies against their will I am happy for everyone to do what they want to do.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. By Jove I think I've sorted it..If the butch bitch marries the faggot bloke...and the butch bloke marries the faggot bitch...Everyones happy...Jobs a good un.
  4. The inhabitants of the Westminster bubble know very little about the 'real' world, so the head honcho's views on society count for nothing IMO. Parliament has it's own variety of knob jockeys, expense fiddlers and lying perjurors. The general public (judging by recent on line surveys) are in agreement with Finx, and the general public's attitude will not change despite what comes out of the asylum.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I have nothing against gay or lesbian couples, as long as theyre happy im not fussed. im a definite athiest But as far as the christian church goes who has the right to change those rules, you wont get cameron changing rules to do with buddhists, muslims etc so what gives him the right to do it with christians.

Do not take this as any form of homophobia because its not, what gives him the right to re-write religion, wasting time and especially money which could be used elsewhere on far more important matters such as healthcare, work placements for the unemployed and other places where the money will be much more useful.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. My thoughts exactly.
    Surely Parliament have more pressing issues than this to deal with
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Next thing you know im going to be able to marry my horse the way the "marriage is evolving".... just ridiculuos
  8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

To my mind this is an obscene abomination.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Actually, that's a good point....will they be carrying out gay marriages in the mosques.....I don't ******* think so !!!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. What I want to know is...........will the best man be a woman?.............and if so, does she have to be a lesbian?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It was made clear in the Commons this afternoon BEFIRE the vote that Cameron's pledge that faith oprganisations will not be forced to conduct 'gay' marriages could very possibly be overturned by the European Court of Human Rights. What goes on at Westminster is not binding on the ECHR. And Cameron has been told this a-plenty in the run up to this; I think he is just hoping the EHCR will do his dirty work for him.
  12. wal

wal Badgeman

What Snaggletooth's horse?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Politics and religion... never a good combination.
  14. Im sure david cameron wont see a problem with my horse marriage!
  15. Now, I've not even seen one for a while, let alone read it, but I think in the Bible it says you cannot be 'gay' or words to that effect.

So, since it is their handbook / Book of Refence or even Bible, why are so many gay clergy advocating this gay marriage malarky? Hypocrisy?

Surely not.
  16. chieftiff

chieftiff Moderator

Who are the general publc to which you refer? Are you referring to the voting public - not many judging by recent turn outs, the Christian public - an ever decreasing demographic, the religious public - a little larger than the Christian public but shrinking at a rate of 10% every 10 years judging by recent census figures or the members of the public with no religion - 21% at the last census and rising. The voting demographic that are affected by this and might express their disatisfaction at the next election is the only 'public' politicians are interested in ie the ones who care as a subset of the ones who vote.

Personally I couldn't care less, it's an irrelevance to me whether consenting adults want to make a commitment before 'God' or not, or indeed if they want to be married in a civil ceremony, as is the question of whether religious institutions want to carry out that ceremony or not. As long as we aren't forcing gay people to marry or religious organisations to marry them there are no ripples in the force and the flying spaghetti monster will not display his anger through the Universe or reap revenge on his flock.
    • Like Like x 4

17. Why?

Depends where you look:

71% in favour: http://www.stonewall.org.uk/documents/living_together_2012.pdf

61% in favour: https://acs.thetimes.co.uk/?gotoUrl=http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/

55% in favour: http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...rchive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-14-161212.pdf

How dare they be allowed to marry, it's not like there's any homosexuals in the church. Where will it end? They'll be joining up and getting the vote next. Pah.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  18. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I, like many others here I'm sure, want to understand WHY this particular 'new' thinking has suddenly come about. Is there something else in the wind that is being hidden behind all the 'hooha' of the Gay/Lesbian debate ?
  19. I'm vehemently indifferent to it.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. This one was nowhere to be seen in the Tory party manifesto of 2010, as other posters have said there are much more important issues to be dealt with before this nonsense.

So far and like me no one seems to have the answer as to how this will make our society stronger.

It has served to drive an even bigger wedge into the Tory party. If Cameron is there to lead them into the next election I will be very surprised.