HMS Westminster visits Mombasa

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Apr 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good run ashore, plenty of Tusker and there was the old Rainbow bar, I remember the hit record 'Runaway' being played to death there.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband Moderator Book Reviewer

Handler, can you explain why you always post your comments in italics? :?
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A welcome break from Armilla. Who can forget their first 'Mombasa Handshake'. The Mombasa Club was also a good place to go, they would let you use your mess number and send the bill down to the Mess Treasurer on the ship before you sailed.
  4. sgtpepperband

Agreed, SF. Despite its poor safety reputation, I always had a fun time in Mombers. It is not full of sex-workers (as the POMA was keen to remind us), although I met plenty of 'hairdressers from Nairobi, called Mathilda" in the Bora Bora Club... :oops:And why did people insist of buying the wooden carvings and Masai shields/spears, knowing full well that you will have a red ant infestation in the mess for weeks after leaving the place..?! :evil:
  5. WEll SpB the italics are simply for the way it looks,. No other reason.
  6. sgtpepperband

Right. Just seems a rather unncessary waste of effort...
  7. Seaman's mission for a swim!!.Casablanca on the corner some nights kilindine transport in the three toner from the K boar jetty great days and nights
  8. Unfortunate sign of the times I suppose, that MoD RSS (whoever they are?) consider a visit to Mombasa by a UK warship to be a subject worthy of reporting.

2BM
  9. sgtpepperband

2BM: MoD_RSS is an automated RSS feed from the Ministry of Defence website.
  10. First day in duty driver - Had a slack late afternoon so pulled up at a bar (name eludes me now) at 16:00 to pick up the Greenies mess and get them back on board for scran. Walked in to be be greated with "get 'em down you Zulu Warrior" ...
    Messmate pulled a gorgeous married German lady and spent a large part of our week with her, her husband (!) their two kids (called one and two in Zulu) and friends. Didn't see any of the nefarious night life and feel a bit ripped off.
  11. No visit to Mombassa was complete without a few days at Silversands.
  12. wal

wal Badgeman

I wonder if "Twos up Sussie Sunshine" is still at the Sunshine Bar
  13. No, we're happily married now and living in Staffordshire. She speaks highly of you.
  14. Don't get shitfaced on the beach, those sandflies are carnivores.

edited for kak spooling
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  15. Duty Coxn on the K boats after run ashore.....
  16. Didn't think you were that old Tre :wink:
  17. Hardly any effort on hitting the italic , not that geriatric as yet :joker:
  18. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well as a common theme is that public awareness of what the RN does once it departs over the horizon is vague at best, any story reminding people about working with allies and promoting UK interests overseas is worth pushing.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. there in 65 on the anzio. went "g", got hammered on board and then off for five days at silversands. if we could not trap along at the nyali beach hotel we would go back to silversands bar for a few, put "downtown" on the juke-box and get a fast black into town and get on the lash with the lads. happy days.