HMS Dauntless - Wrens TE

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Jenwren, Aug 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have been searching for a long while for a copy of 'HMS Dauntless, 1945-1981 - A History'.
    I've checked out all the obvious, local 2ndhand book shops, ebay, amazon.
    The only ones I found were on ebay, the 1st went for £47 and the 2nd I missed the end of the auction and that went for £25!
    Any help appreciated. As I trained there, would love a copy to add to my fast growing collection!!
    Thanks in advance
    JW
  2. Got my book, they've done a reprint, and were selling it at the Reunion, job sorted!!
    JW
  3. Not got a first edition then? Shame.
  4. No, unfortunately not a first edition, but if one came along at the right price then.................
    JW
  5. Hi, can anyone help me I am after a book called - hms dauntless 1945-1981? My Dad was the only sailor on the wrens camp back in 1955. (roughly) He also served on Dauntless.

My Mum found an old newspaper clipping -

Dauntless humour

To any who served in HMS Dauntless, whether as a new entry trainee or a future Director WRNS, I commend the book "HMS Dauntless 1945-1981." To me it is so complete in humour, research and history from the beginning to the end. So enjoyable and well worth £2. Obtainable still from First Officer Makeating, WRNS, HMS Raleigh, Torpoint - Dame Elizabeth Hoyner Millar (superintendant WRNS, HMS Dauntless 1954-58)

6. Hello Linda,

If you have not already done so, I suggest you try the contacts at the Association of WRNS, at:

http://www.wrens.org.uk/

Best of Luck!

Bob
  7. Hi Bob,

Thank you ever so much, I hadn't tried them, I shall now.

Linda.
  8. Hello Linda,

If you have not already done so, I suggest you try the contacts at the Association of WRNS, at:

http://www.wrens.org.uk/

Best of Luck!

Bob[/quote]

Just what I was going to suggest Bob, I got mine at the National ReUnion in York last year, they'd done a reprint as such and they cost £5.
    Definately worth a try Linda.
    JW
  9. Dauntless was and will always remain a national naval monument, at least in the hearts of all those matelots who managed even the briefest of visits. Other establishments like Wingfield mansions , the White House in Malta didn't seem to have the same air of excitement wondering if you'd be caught! :oops: