Group Issues

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by NZ_Bootneck, Jan 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a part of the new format, members cab form private Groups.
    However members should be aware that Group pages and Group messages can be accessed through members 'Your Account' pages and therefore not as secure as PMs.
    The COs have been informed and hopefully this will be rectified so that any Tom, Dick or Bob who is not a member of a Group can't access that page.
    Until then be extremely careful what you post on Group Boards, OPSEC, PERSEC etc.
    Other areas of the site, PMs etc, are secure.
  2. Cheers for the warning NZB, I'm a prime candidate to put my foot in things.:thumbleft:
  3. Group pages and messages have a permissions system. The owner can choose whether the group is public, private etc, and the messages, forums and images will respect that.

Thanks for drawing attention to this feature of the software - it is something I was talking about with BCO this very morning. It basically gives anyone the chance to get their own private RR forum, gallery and message system. On ARRSE is has taken a while to get rolling, but some groups are now very popular. The biggest.... wait for it...... Camping and Caravaning.

I will add a link to the header and in the longer term will get the group 'avatars' added to people's profiles.
  4. I don't really understand a lot of of computer info but whilst on holiday in Spain the hotel had three computers in the lobby,place a Euro in and you had 20 mins on line.
    I put a Euro in and typed in the Navy Net website and up it came in all it's format for all to read without me signing in with name or password.
    Is this correct?seems odd to me as I thought it was a members only site.
  5. Anyone can read - surely you yourself must have read some of the site before you joined?

You need to be a member to post in the forums, gallery, use PMS etc. Some parts are protected - for example the groups being discussed in this thread above. For those additional privileges are needed.