First World War question

Discussion in 'History' started by pompeyexpat, Dec 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was at the wifes Grandparents yesterday and he showed me a WW1 campaign medal that had been given to his uncle. Inscribed around the edge was his name and what I believe was his rate (E.R.A), however it also had "RNVCR" on it. Anyone have any idea what that might mean?

My first thought was Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve but the initials are in the wrong order and besides, wikipedia tells me RCNVR wasn't formed until 1923. Also he is convinced that, although his uncle moved to Canada after the war, he was living in Britain and was British in 1914.

I've had a brief search of the National Archives and found mention of a man of the same name who served in WW1 as a member of the RNVR. If that's him, where does the "C" come from.

Any help most appreciated.
  2. Not sure if this helps, but the 'C' may well be Canada,

linky

Jerry
  3. Nothing to say the engraver got it wrong and should have read RCNVR.

Wilkepedia is not a true and accurate source of research info. Too many external inputs.
  4. ERA = Engine Room Artificer
  5. Looks as if he was in the Royal Navy Volunteer Canadian Reserve.

It's usually written as RNCVR (Royal Navy Canadian Volunteer Reserve)

There were three divisions of the RNCVR in WWI - RNCVR Atlantic, Pacific & Central.

If you PM me his details I will check the Canadian WWI records for you.

SP
  6. Cheers people. I had a feeling it meant Canadian, but was a little thrown by the order of the initials.

Lamri/Jerry - thanks for the link. I've emailed them with the question.

sweetpea - have PM'd you what I know. It's not a lot I'm afraid.

21_man - cheers. That cleared up the confusion from wiki about the RCNVR dates. Could be that Waspie was right and it's a spelling mistake on the part of the engraver.

Rosie - That's what I figured when I saw it. Cheers.