Failed the RT test!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by shotty44, Dec 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok guys I massively overestimated the time I had in the RT test and failed (a mistake I won’t make again) but instead of going back and resiting it I have finished sixth form and gone to university.
    I will be getting a phone/letter soon offering me to do it again but can I explain I want to wait till I have finished my degree?
    And can I change and apply for an officer now (I applied for a technician before) also can I change to a different AFCO because I’m the length of the country away from where I sat my old RT test?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's good to see the failure of the recruiting test for technician has not put you off & spurred you on to apply for a job requiring a nigher score.

The AFCO will not routinely contact you for a resit after a fail so if you wish to re-apply at a later date at another AFCO all you need do is submit a fresh application & your original AFCO will forward any pertinent documents.

Best of luck.

3. I think this says more for the standard of university places than anything printed in the newspapers.
    Not good enough to join the RN as a technician, but perfectly acceptable for some uni or other :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ... or perhaps it says more about the standard and specific skill set required of an RN Technician. I may be wrong, but I suspect that Shotty isn't doing an engineering degree, but why on earth would failing for an engineering technician mean that someone doesn't have an aptitude for a different type of degree. Just a thought.

Anyway, good luck to you Shotty whatever you are doing.

5. There are many types of degree out in uniland.
    Guess what every schol leaver seems to have the aptitude to study for one of them.
    So we are turning out thousands of thicko's who have letters after their names.
    I studied for years while in the RN to gain my qualifications in Genitalia, not much use in civie street though

6. Shotty

What are you studying?

Which GCSEs and A Levels do you have?

7. Shotty

Bear in mind waiting times for branches when you decide to re-apply. The suggested time for most branches at present is one year prior to the end of whatever course you are currently studying as most branches are around that in waiting time prior to going to Raleigh at present, unless you're looking to go SM.

Seaman Spec and NA(AH) are both currently two year waiting lists so be aware of how things are at present. Other branches could end up following suit at some point, so If you wait till your course is finished you may have to kick your heels for twelve months or so after that before walking through the gates of basic training.

8. Ninja_Stoker

The OP claims that the aspiration is to join as an Officer rather than Rating.

It's recommended the application for Officer is started no less than 12 months before graduation.

9. wow...how can you fail this test..?

10. I think if you dribble a little bit too much on the paper, you get a fail. Otherwise as long as there's enough crayon scribble on it you'll score highly enough for at least steward

11. Ninja_Stoker

The thing about the recruiting test is that it's pretty much remained unchanged since 1943.

I've witnessed an engineering graduate fail for all trades & many is the time a person with A Levels & a raft of GCSE's score below the minimum of 10/30 in the maths or English sections. Read into it what you will, but often a person that passes for a low scoring trade will claim the test was 'easy' & be incredulous that someone failed to make the grade for a higher scoring trade.

I've yet to witness a score with no wrong answers.

12. I was surprised to see that of the fifteen or so of us taking the test earlier in the year, only three were called in as passes.

...that may just say something about Plymouth, though.

13. wo wo wo lets get one thing straight I am not stupid or anything far from, it I passed all 9 GCSE'S with C's and above and got three A levels in Computing and electronics and IT B, C, C in that order, it was just i got there in the morning panicked and failed so decided to go to university and do a degree because I am only 17 so i thought i rushed into joining and will be more mature and educated when i re apply in 3 years

P.S doing a degree in Electronic/electrical engineering and applied to be an aircraft technician.

14. shotty

Where is your nearest AFCO?

15. ...... and breathe!!

Why do you think a degree is the answer to your situation? If you got a C in Electronics maybe going to university to further that base knowledge, mostly on the theory side rather than the practical side, is not the best or only option. Why not go to a college and do an electrician's course there, these courses are far more hands on, which your branch choice suggests may be up your street. It is less of a long term commitment and will prepare you better for either a job in a related branch in the RN or for a job in civvy street.

It's just a thought; lots of people rush head on into university without giving proper consideration to the wide range of vocational courses available. They often provide far better job prospects and don't leave you saddled with such a hefty debt when you leave.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Good man, a useful not useless degree.
    Next time make sure that you better prepare yourself for the test, I reckon there re plenty of sites with similar type questions for you to practise against the clock on.
    Please complete that degree, you will be promoted more quickly and be earning more money. :p

17. i failed my RT test and was just wondering how long i have to wait to resit? however i am still at school, does this make a difference.

18. wet_blobby

wet_blobby Moderator

You weren't into recruiting when I joined up eh? They turned around, gasped, applauded and said "**** me, you're so good you can join the Corps" Bless 'em.

19. Thats cos you were wearing yer mums best frock:angel8:

• Like Like x 1
  20. I just took my RT and failed. Passed easily in everything other than maths which i was 2 marks short on. Totally devastated that i now have to wait a year because of 2 marks. 2 ffs. Its totally derailed the path i had laid out for me because of 2 lousy marks.

Was going for officer and think the guy said the requirements were higher but still. So gutted its unreal