Age limit

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Matt676, Jan 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey, what is the upper age limit for joining the submarine service?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Same as general service. You must commence initial training before age 37 for non technical ratings, before age 30 for technicians. Officers likewise reflect the same age parameters as their general service counterparts.

3. Thank you, has the before 30 thing for technicians just recently been introduced. Do you know roughly what the current waiting list is for marine engineer on subs please?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Yes, the upper age for technician was reduced from 37 to 30 a couple of years back due to the fact there was a requirement to ensure adequate numbers joined early enough to reach CPO rate and complete a couple of sea drafts.

ET(MESM) is, off the top of my head, about a twelve month wait, ET(WESM) is about half that. Don't take my word for it though -double check with your AFCO as there are 50-odd jobs and the waiting times fluctuate frequently.

5. Thanks what's cpo rate?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Chief Petty Officer - 4 ranks (rates) above the rate at which you initially join - equivalent to Army Staff or Colour Sergeant.

7. how long is this rank achievable in?

8. Ninja_Stoker

I'd guess about 10 to 12 years at the moment (took me 10) but it varies and those serving frontline today are better placed to advise what the current pipeline is.

9. Whaaaat!! 12 years. And there was me thinking that most joined up as Chiefs

10. Ninja_Stoker

:wink: Chefs mate, Chefs.